Community Forum

Blocking calls

Regular Contributor

Re: Blocking calls

The Digitone blocker blocks all these:The Digitone Call Blocker 10 works in Mexico, Canada and with all U.S. phone companies with standardized phone lines, DSL, Cable modems or VoIP phone service adapters, like FIOS, Vonage, Skype, Magic Jack, Ooma and Cell Phone Gateways.

So I don't think you need to worry about what phone system you got.

Frequent Visitor

I worry because the website shows two models. I don't want to get the wrong model and have to return it and start all over. I'll give them a call just to make sure. Thanks.

Contributor

USE *77 TO ACTIVATE BLOCKING OF "UNKNOWN"  & "ANONYMOUS" NUMBERS.

Regular Contributor

That don't work because Comcast allows charity and political calls thou with "Unknown Numbers".

So you have to do something else if you want to block all calls.

Regular Visitor

I agree with the post that said comcast should allow customers to have a list of acceptable phone numbers and all other phone numbers will be blocked.  I worked in IT for 35 years.  This should be a simple thing to program.

Contributor

IN THAT CASE WHAT I WOULD DO IS PUT THE RECEIVER DOWN AND LET THEM TALK TO GHOSTS IN THE ROOM.

Contributor

I had a feeling about that when I saw that date.  However, I am all set now and I actually already blocked a call from somebody trying to sell us a house alarm.  We do not need a house alarm we already have one.

I think I will like this feature and I never ever knew about it after all this time.

Thank you all so much for answering my question.

Bev

Frequent Visitor

First, I'm pretty sure you CAN select all numbers be blocked EXCEPT for certain ones. But back to the *60 thing. I was excited to try that this morning, so I dial it and it says "your list is full. You must delete numbers to add more." Okay, so I continue and then the next line said "Please dial the number you want to delete." Um, I have not used this service in probably 10 years since I didn't remember it at all. How on Earth am I supposed to know which numbers are in there???? I was expecting that the system would read them back to me. Well, I guess this option isn't available to me after all. Smiley Sad

Diamond Problem Solver

ktsue

You can view the list online in Xfinity Connect.  Go to preferences / voice / call blocking.  The list will show up there.

Regular Visitor

Do you know how you can block all calls except for certain numbers?  I only see the block function.  Thanks.

Contributor

You can only block 12 calls as I understand it.  If you read all of this forum, you might be able to get something to do that. 

Regular Contributor

I was able to reduce unwanted calls through the following combination:

• Pay the $3/month fee to have Comcast un-publish my number
  • Enable anonymous call reject via the Comcast online control panel
  • Blocking whatever "fixed" phone numbers I can through Comcast
  • Being on the donotcall.gov registry
  • Never giving out my phone when I do anything online (I substitute with something bogus)
  • Telling people who call me unsolicated that I wish to be removed from their list

Good luck!

Regular Visitor

Thanks.  Done the things you suggested but still get calls.  This is actually for my 86 year old mother and I don't want people calling and trying to get money or sell her something.  Unfortunately, charities, political campaigns, pollsters are not required to use the do not call list or so I've been told.  Charities are one of the worst.  They don't care if a person knows if they can afford donations or not; they just want money.

The only solution I can see is the ability to allow only certain numbers through (probably only 4 or 5).

Regular Contributor

The only way you can block all calls and let a few in is with a call blocker. The one that we have has a invite program that only lets the numbers that are on this list go though.

It's a great thing to have!

Contributor

I enabled the block annonymous calls and now that I think about it, I still get them.  Hmmm, so it doesn't work???

Regular Visitor

A number that I blocked is still getting through.  Once I've answered and the recorded telemarketing message begins, the call is cut off.  Is this what Comcast means by blocking a call?  What good does that do?  I still have to answer it! 

Contributor

Hi Pudwinker;

What do you use for a call blocker. It sounds like something I might like to get.

Thanks,

Bev

Regular Contributor

We use the DIgitone Call Blocker that you can get on Amazon. Right out of the box it will block all "Unknown, Out of Area, and No Number" calls without doing anything. Then you can block up to 80 numbers. Also it will block out of country numbers, all the calls that Comcast won't block!

There are other blockers including one that you download on your computer, but you have to leave your computer on all the time. We shut down at night so that would not work for us.

Good luck.

New Poster

I bought the Digitone Call Blocker and yes, the calls are blocked and I finally have peace and quiet at my home.  It's the best $ that I have spent in a long time!!!! 

Contributor

Thank you so much guys.  I am going to look into that. I use Amazon all the time, so I am sure it won't be a problem.  I am using the Comcast blocker and so far so good, although I only have about 4 or 5 numbers in there so far.

You guys are great, you are so much help with everything.

Thanks again.

Bev

New Poster

when a bank or credit card company callsd please block those calls from 601 A/M. till 9:30 P.M. 7 days a week

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the instructions to block aggravating phone calls from people that either want a donation to something I'm not interested in or someone wanting to save me money on my auto ins.even when I tell them no thanks they over talk me and go on and on.So thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I beginning to think the only solution to this call non blocking is to get rid of my landline ph and just use my cell ph for all my calls! I know a lot of people are doing that now.

Highlighted
New Poster

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE STEPS THAT I NEED TO FOLLOW TO BLOCK UNWANTED TELEPHONE CALLS THAT COME IN ON AN AVERAGE OF 3 OR 4 TIMES A DAY. 

Contributor

try and follow the whole thread on this website from page 1. that should help.  good  luck.

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of customers who think we need the ability to block more numbers.  I have had my number for about 18 years and never got calls like I am not that I switched to Comcast.  I am extremely frustrated and might have to move to another phone service because of it.

I get call as late as 10pm and it is really ticking me off.  Thanks Comcast for nothing!

Frequent Visitor

Dude, Your CAPSLOCK appears stuck.

So does your enter button.

Your suggestion does not work.
Frequent Visitor

We have recently started getting calls asking for someone else (all Middle Eastern accents with the name "Bob").

I have found that nicely explaining that they have the wrong number is futile. So is reporting them.

An air horn and carefully strewn profanity is much better...for me, at least.
New Poster

How to block calls on my comcast land line?

Diamond Problem Solver

@glstopp wrote:

How to block calls on my comcast land line?

Dial *60 from your home phone and follow the prompts to enter the number you want to block.

You can also go to the Xfinity Connect web site, preferences / voice preference / call blocking and add the number there.

New Poster

I would like to block 1(617)639-7190 from calling my home

Regular Visitor

I am getting the 800 severice calls now.  Comcast must have sold my number.  I had this phone number for over 20 years.  First we were with AT&T for a very long time, then 2 years ago up until last friday we were with vonage and no 800 service calls.  Then yesterday I started to recieve these calls from 800 service and then got one today.  They claim they were from a breast cancer donation; I played to see how much info they have.  They even had my address.  I'm very protective about my info.  I do not give out my phone/cell #, my address, or email unless I know them personally.  Heck I don't even accept Facebook friend request unless I know you even if you know all of my friends.  I'm going to look into the google voice option first before I buy that digitone device.

Contributor

From what I know that is NOT true. Comcast customer service told me that they either can not or will not block any calls origniating outside of the country.  In this case a 999 number. 

New Poster

I have "call block" on my phone line yet I'm STILL getting calls from anonymous caller/unavailable number.  The whole point of having call blocking is to STOP those calls from getting through!  I'm disabled and very sick and barely get any sleep as it is and then those darn calls come through.  I want it to stop NOW!!  What's the point of having an unlisted # and call-blocked line if these calls still come through?  I really MUST INSIST that my privacy be respected or I will consider changing my ENTIRE service (phone, wifi, cable) to Verizon Fios.  It's bad enough that I was promised I would be able to retain the same phone # I had for over 20 yrs. and at the last minute was told it wouldn't be possible.  If this continues I will seriously change my service.  I already know it would be less expensive per month...as it is I'm paying $20/month more than I am supposed to be paying which is infuriating in itself!

New Poster

I have Anonymous Call Rejection and I'm still getting those EXACT calls!  I want them to stop so please tell me what I need to do.  I've already written previously on this exact subject.  I'm very sick and disabled and get little enough sleep as it is w/out the aggravation of being awakened (or the rare ocassion that I actually fall asleep) by the very calls that I have an unlisted, blocked, anonymous call rejection line for to begin with!

Please advise me on what else needs to be done so those calls can no longer get through,  Thank You.

Frequent Visitor

@ktsue wrote:

I am very interested in purchasing this product, but I have a question. There seem to be two models, one for digital and one for landline. The digital one mentions VOIP and the landline one mentions Comcast, so now I'm confused. Also, so this is placed somewhere in the line such that it stops calls from coming in to any of my phones? I don't need a different one for each phone, right? This is exciting!

I'll
tell what I did and it works great for me! I go to all my ph's and turn the ringers off,that way you still get a list of whose called you and if you see a # of someone you wanted to talk with just give them a call and explain.Or do what I did and call or text all your friends and family and tell them what you did and to call or text you & you will call them back on your home ph or just answer your cell, for me, I don't like talking long on my cell,I feel like I missing most of the conversion on them little things.After a few days or weeks the pestering calls will finally stop,did with me and I haven't missed anyone,just the pest. I have unplugged my ph all day and plugged it back in after 9pm and unplugged again at 8am that will help to!

New Poster

Re: Blocking calls with all zeros

Hi,  I'm averaging several calls a week from 000-000-0000.  Comcast will not permit me to block this number. Has anyone had success stopping this?

Thanks,

Mike

Regular Contributor

Here is a reply from earlier about blocking calls:

We use the DIgitone Call Blocker that you can get on Amazon. Right out of the box it will block all "Unknown, Out of Area, and No Number" calls without doing anything. Then you can block up to 80 numbers. Also it will block out of country numbers, all the calls that Comcast won't block!

There are other blockers including one that you download on your computer, but you have to leave your computer on all the time. We shut down at night so that would not work for us.

Also it will block the zero calls.

Contributor

Thank you all so much for your input on my problems with unwanted calls.

I just ordered the Digitone Call Blocker.

Actually Comcast seems to be working okay for me, but I have no idea how many calls I have being blocked in there and I am not sure if there is a way to find out, so I am getting the digitone so I don't have to think about that anymore.

You are all great.

Bev

New Poster

Thanks for the advice. "What sad times are these" (Monty Python) in which people have to spend money to keep other people from harrassing them.

Thanks again,

Mike

New Poster

I set up a list of numbers to block a few months back, it worked fine.  I logged in today to add a number ... and my list is now BLANK again ... no numbers on my blocked list.  Do they have to be renewed periodically or something?

Frequent Visitor

I understand how you feel because I am sick and disabled and have a hard time getting a decent nights sleep.I finally had to turn all my ringers off and told family and friends to call my cell ph if they need to get in touch with me.That way if there is an emergency I can still be reached.It all depends on if you have a cell ph though,not everyone does,especially most elderly people.

New Poster

Thanks.  Now if there is a way to block exchanges, like 616-613-XXXX which would block all numbers generating from that exchange

Contributor

Hi, It's me again.  I received my Digitone today.  I was wondering.  Does anybody know how to get the numbers that I blocked in Comcast? I would like to reverse it in there and have them all on one device.

Thank you all so much.

Bev

Regular Contributor

Your going to need to look at your owners manual on page 5 it has "Blocking Individual Callers" and it tells you how to add numbers. It will not take the blocked numbers from comcast so you have to add them by this way.

Good luck!

Contributor

I couldn't rely on Comcast's blocking features. Too often the numbers would all be deleted.  Twelve entries were insufficient to address the problem.

I purchased a Panasonic KX-TG6641B, which is a DECT 6.0+ phone.  It takes entry of 30 numbers to be blocked.

If you block a number using Comcast, the caller gets a recording explaining you are no longer accepting calls from his/her number.  If you block a number using this Panasonic, the caller will hear a series of sounds similar to loud horns.  The caller is then disconnected.

Contributor

OK just to let you know in case you ever need it.  Do the same thing as before *60 but listen to the

whole message and she will give you all the numbers in there.  I was able to get them, write them down and when and if I ever get a chance to set up my new 'Digitone' I will put them right in there. I deleted all of them from my call block on Comcast and it seems since they have been blocked they must have stopped calling  because I haven't received any calls at all yet from those people.

Thanks everybody for all your help through this.

Bev

New Poster

Ditto.

Frequent Visitor

Yep I just discovered the call forwarding thing to add another 12, I set the number to be forwarded to, to be one of the other phone spamers.

Hmmm maybe we should start forwarding the calls to the ComCast CEO's home/cell phone!!!!! we might get the 12 limit lifted then.

Contributor

It's a good idea to check whether the number you're forwarding to carries no charge from your phone.  I'm uncertain how it works if you have an unlimited plan, but generally the party forwarding calls is responsible for the cost of the forwarded call.

There's also the possibility that your phone number shows as the source of the call to the final recipient.