Community Forum

why does my webmail username includes *oxuser@comcast.net - both incoming and ouitgoing server

Frequent Visitor

why does my webmail username includes *oxuser@comcast.net - both incoming and ouitgoing server

Just noticed my webmail username includes " *oxuser@comcast.net " after my actual email address. Shows on my email account settings for both incoming and ouitgoing server user names.  Have I been hacked?

New Poster

Re: why does my webmail username includes *oxuser@comcast.net - both incoming and ouitgoing server

Me 2
I don't like it.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: why does my webmail username includes *oxuser@comcast.net - both incoming and ouitgoing server

This thread refers to the "Incoming server" and "Outgoing server (SMTP)" entries in the Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail settings page at

(gear icon) / Settings / Accounts / E-Mail / Edit

(https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/settings&folder=virtual/settings/io.ox/settings/a...).

Both of these entries include the term "*oxuser@comcast.net" after the actual Comcast email address, like so:

XcAsOxuser1.png

The question is, "is that how they are supposed to be?". My guess is that it's OK, but I can only guess, and it would be nice to have the question answered by Comcast.

Expert

fyi mine has same thing on both servers

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

mine does too and i was hacked

Expert

Jane1111 wrote:

mine does too and i was hacked

google search shows oxuser is part of open exchange verified connection (logged in to comcast in this case). may be to stop un-logged in hosts from sending email 'as' us.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... google search shows oxuser is part of open exchange verified connection ...

Where? I am unable to find this assertion.

... may be to stop un-logged in hosts from sending email 'as' us.

Doesn't "may be" suggest that you are guessing? Can't we get an reply from a Comcast employee who actually knows???

Contributor

Agree!

Contributor

Comcastl you sure as heck cut my complaint down to one liner by not posting it all which I felt was important. - OK I am going to start looking for a new company - I have been with you for 10 years and I never get answers to my question, even when I am in one of your stores with the "so called: Experts. Excuse me now as I have to go look for better and honest, helpful company!

Frequent Visitor

I've just noticed that I have the same extension on my primary email address.

Expert

All that indicates is that it's an open exchange address. It doesn't show up in any headers that I could find. All people will see and respond to is your normal username@comcast.net.

Contributor

I have this, too, BUT it is preventing me from sending mail on my iPad using the Web Mail interface - NOT the connect app. Every email gets an error saying the specified email is invalid - even when I try to send mail to myself or another family member on my account. When I cancel out of the error, a window pops up that says “Edit Mail account” followed by the outgoing server info with oxuser@comcast.net added after my email address. I might be able to understand there being this error IF I were using the Apple mail app or the Xfinity Connect app, but I am not - I am using WEB MAIL!