Community Forum

why are there extra spaces between paragraphs in my email replies?

Regular Visitor

why are there extra spaces between paragraphs in my email replies?

I type up my email normally when I compose it and it looks fine when I send it. However, when I go to the sent folder to check it, there's always extra spaces between the paragraphs and a space is added on each return I perform. For instance, on my original email I put:

Best regards,

Jim Joyce

However, this turns into:

Best regards,

Jim Joyce

How do I keep this from happening? These big spaces between after I hit return look bad.

Expert

Re: why are there extra spaces between paragraphs in my email replies?

@jimjoyce1 wrote:

I type up my email normally when I compose it and it looks fine when I send it. However, when I go to the sent folder to check it, there's always extra spaces between the paragraphs and a space is added on each return I perform. For instance, on my original email I put:

Best regards,

Jim Joyce

However, this turns into:

Best regards,

Jim Joyce

How do I keep this from happening? These big spaces between after I hit return look bad.

When you come to the end of a line in email do not hit enter [return] to go to the next line, just keep typing and then no space will appear.  When you want a new paragraph, then you would hit enter [return].

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I do only hit return at the end of a paragraph but it creates two vertical spaced instead of one in the copy in the sent folder as well as the recipient’s copy. And I have to hit return here:
Regards,
Jim
I can’t type to the end of the line because I have to hit return after the comma.
Expert

@jimjoyce1 wrote:
I do only hit return at the end of a paragraph but it creates two vertical spaced instead of one in the copy in the sent folder as well as the recipient’s copy.
This is normal and the way it should be

And I have to hit return here:
Regards,
Jim
I can’t type to the end of the line because I have to hit return after the comma.

No, you just hit space after a comma like you normally would.  Most email programs are already set for an 80 space line so all you need do is keep typing and formatting is already done.

FWIW, email is not like using a word program like Microsoft Word; you can't set the line spacing, and you can't control how enter [return] functions.

If formatting is important, type your message in your word program and save it as a document and then send as an attachment.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Sorry for my belated response! Thanks for getting back.

For 25 years or so of my sending emails, a blank veritical space has been created when I hit the enter key. That includes about the last 15 years that I've been using the webmail provided by Comcast. I did not start getting two vertical spaces until recently. So something changed in the automatic formatting or default settings.

I'm not going to type my emails in Word docs first, so I guess my recipients will have to put up with extra spaces between paragraphs until switch to another email program.

New Poster

Any luck? The same thing started happening to me recently.  Annoying!  Makes me want to switch emails.

Expert

@bikercarol wrote:

Any luck? The same thing started happening to me recently.  Annoying!  Makes me want to switch emails.

Did you read Again's post upthread from two months ago?  There is nothing wrong with the email software for line spacing.  Just don't hit the return key at the end of lines.  Just keep typing and let the word-wrap work its magic.  If you need another paragraph hit the return key only once and it will appear correctly spaced to your recipient even though it looks single-spaced to you.

Problem Solver

Hitting Enter inserts a Paragraph Mark which is interpreted as a large space between lines. 

If you want to force a smaller space between lines without using the word wrap feature as discussed in this thread then you can use Shift+Enter to insert a Line Break instead of a Paragraph Mark.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I read all of this.  The point is that something recently changed.  Before, it didn't used to add an extra space and now it does.  It's not me, it's a programming change, and I don't like work arounds. Annoying.  

Regular Visitor

Yes, Bikercarol, you were correct. (Pardon my late reply.) When we type and send something in Comcast webmail, it should look to the reader the way we typed it. Not with extra paragraph spaces. This is a problem that should be remediated by the programmers in this behemoth of a business. To suggest otherwise is what my old baseball coach used to call Bush League! Fix the problem. I've been mulling over a move to another email service and this kind of stuff is pushing me that way. But I'd rather not go through the hassle of changing my email address on 500 or so websites and apps. Comcast shouldn't push customers away; rather, they should be doing everything they can to keep them. I'm at the tipping point.