Community Forum

want to delete email and not open with single click

Frequent Visitor

want to delete email and not open with single click

I want to delete email and not open with single click. Email opens when I check the box. I want to double click to open my email.

Expert

Re: want to delete email and not open with single click

@esimsally wrote:

I want to delete email and not open with single click. Email opens when I check the box. I want to double click to open my email.

Putting a check mark in the box itself will not open the email.  If you click on the From or email title, your email will open.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Sometimes when I check the box, that email will open. Sometimes when I try to check six or eight boxes, one will open and I have to delete it individually. Then it returns me to the list where other boxes are still checked so I can delete. Trying to figure a setting to just single click on several email items, and delete them all at one time.

I was once able to check off up to twenty without triggering an email to open. Is it Windows 10 in Xfinity?

Frequent Visitor

Most of my email will open when I check the empty box on the left. It may be something Windows 10 did to my account. Or something crossed up in Comcast. But it is really a pain!

I cannot delete my email unless I delete one at a time.

Expert

In the webmail, the default behavior is that if you click on the title box in the list, it will open the message.  If you check the small box to the left it will select the message without opening it, and then you can use the trashcan icon to delete it.  Is that not happening?

Frequent Visitor

Sometimes when I check the small empty box on the left,       with a single click,     that email will open.

Sometimes I can check two or three boxes and the next one will open, and I delete it, and return to the list.             

The previous two or three that I selected will remain checked so I can delete them all at once..

Trying to figure a setting to just single click on several email items, and delete them all at one time.

I was once able to check off up to twenty without triggering an email to open. Is it Windows 10 or Comcast Xfinity?    I have used Windows 3.1 thru Windows 10.

Thanks for your help. Everyone says just check the box and they won't open with a single click - but they do!

Expert

To delete more than one message at a time, and if they are in consecutive order; hold down the Shift key then check the box for the first one, then scroll down to the last one and check that box.  This should select everything in between.  Then hit the trashcan icon.

Frequent Visitor

This was an interesting experiment. When I held down shift BEFORE selecting one single email, immediately five to 12 emails were selected automatically. I did this several times in different places on my lengthy email list. 

BUT when I checked one email that would not open with a single click, then held the SHIFT, I could check up to twenty - BUT a couple of times, one email would open - then I would return to the mail list where items were still checked and could delete the group.

To remove all of the checks each time while I was experimenting, I just checked "Select All" and then deselected to clear off the checks.

This was interesting, and works better than anything I've heard. There is still an occasional opening with a single click, but at least not EACH and everyone of them.

Thank you very much!

Expert

Try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history. When you have done that, close out the browser and re-start it in a fresh session. If that doesn't do it, then try using a different browser.  You should do this even if only to eliminate the browser as the cause of the problem.  Strange behavior like this is typical of issues in the cache/history.

Frequent Visitor

You have earned your title once more: EMAIL EXPERT

I cleared out my browser data history and while I was in there, I cleaned out a five years of videos I had watched (back to 2013) that I didn't know Google was keeping.  

For my emails, I randomly checked the little box on the left of the list to select about 18 emails to delete together - I went back and forth in the list and never did it try to open one! I am delighted!        

Thank you very much!

Expert

You're welcome.  Glad I was able to get you sorted out.  The browser history and cache contains lots of small files from your web surfing activities.  Over time it will accumulate temporary internet files, cookies and other things that can go bad.  Cookies can be conflicting, expired, broken and so on, and they can cause all kinds of bizarre issues.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your answer. When I checked the box at the left, my email did open, though it was not supposed to. When I held down the Shift key, five or more would be selected. The final answer and final solution was to clean out the browser cache. It has worked fine since I did this over a day ago.

New Poster

but when you do delete one it does open the next one by itself.
Frequent Visitor

This seems to be the answer. Clear out the browser cache.  I can now check one at a time for several emails without opening them first before deleting them.

Thank you very much!!

Frequent Visitor

Putting a check mark in the box would open each email, and I had to delete them one at a time. The answer seems to be cleaning out the browser cashe. It's working now. One email will open every day or so after a single check, but not often.

Thanks for suggestion.