Community Forum

resize rmy columns in my e-mail

New Poster

resize rmy columns in my e-mail

E-mail resize columns
Tags (1)
Expert

Re: resize rmy columns in my e-mail

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/apps/faq/index.html#checkSpellingssuming you are in the new format, hover your mouse pointer over the vertical line on either side of the message list and drag it back and forth.

Frequent Visitor

I don't want to resize all the columns because the default proportionality is wrong. Instead, I want to resize only one or two columns (specifically, widen the subject column and shrink the size column).  Isn't there a way to do this?  I don't, for instance, see a column heading row which would show the individual column width vertical lines.  Thanks in advance.

Expert

@heatmiser22 wrote:

I don't want to resize all the columns because the default proportionality is wrong. Instead, I want to resize only one or two columns (specifically, widen the subject column and shrink the size column).  Isn't there a way to do this?  I don't, for instance, see a column heading row which would show the individual column width vertical lines.  Thanks in advance.

The new Appsuite email format doesn't have the columns you describe, so I assume you are still in the old format.  Look at the address bar in your browser-----does it say Zimbra?  If so you are still in the old format.  That being the case, you can put your cursor on the vertical separator between the column names and drag them back and forth.  

That said, at some point, probably sooner than later, you will be migrated to the new Appsuite format which looks a lot different.  But for now here is what the separators look like.  When you put your cursor on them you should see a double-ended arrow-------------

Vertical separator in Zimbra column bar.PNG

Frequent Visitor

Re: resize my columns in my e-mail

Thanks, but I don't believe that helps.  I don't have Zimbra in the browser address, and I have no column headings at all -- that's a big part of the problem.  My columns (without headings) are (my terms): Select box | Read/Unread icon | Attachment | Sender | Subject line | Size | Date (or time if its the same day).  Is this suppose to be the new appsuite version?  If not, I'm stumped.

Expert

@heatmiser22 wrote:

Thanks, but I don't believe that helps.  I don't have Zimbra in the browser address, and I have no column headings at all -- that's a big part of the problem.  My columns (without headings) are (my terms): Select box | Read/Unread icon | Attachment | Sender | Subject line | Size | Date (or time if its the same day).  Is this suppose to be the new appsuite version?  If not, I'm stumped.

Does your address bar say https: //connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#

If it does, then there is no way to resize the columns.

If your address bar says https: //connect.xfinity.com/zimbra/#

Then you can resize the columns as in the picture that Latoque posted.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

@heatmiser22 wrote:

Then does it say "Appsuite" in the URL in the address field?  It has to say either that or Zimbra.  If it's Appsuite, there are no column headings.  In Appsuite it looks like this---------------

New Email Format.PNG

Frequent Visitor

It does.  It's unbelievable Comcast' neglected or overlooked such a fundamental feature.  Anyway, thanks for the information.

Expert

@heatmiser22 wrote:

It does.  It's unbelievable Comcast' neglected or overlooked such a fundamental feature.  Anyway, thanks for the information.

Comcast didn't overlook anything.  The email software is from a different vendor----Appsuite.  The older Zimbra format was not well-suited to the realities of use with a browser on mobile devices.  They are just "keeping up with the Joneses" as it were.  More and more email providers and ISPs are changing over to the newer, more simplistic look for the same reasons.  If you want to retain the more traditional, word-processor-like features, then you should consider using a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Frequent Visitor

Understood, and I have used a desktop client (Outlook) for > 10 years.  However, Xfinity has been pushing users off desktop clients recently (with a 9/12/18 deadline).  If, as is reasonable, you believe its servers are more secure than your own PC/laptop and connection, it is correct that security concerns are addressed by the switch from POP to IMAP.  It doesn't mention there are advantages to it as well, or point out the disadvantages to the user (like this column sizing issue).  Even if there are advantages -- including better integration with the realities of viewing on mobile devices -- someone made the judgment of columns to include, and how to size them.  I grant that my preferences are just that -- my preferences -- but I suspect most users would prefer to have a wider subject column, and shrink (or just eliminate, like Gmail) the size column.  

Anyway, I suppose that's enough venting on my part.  Thanks again for your help and information.

Expert

@heatmiser22 wrote:

Understood, and I have used a desktop client (Outlook) for > 10 years.  However, Xfinity has been pushing users off desktop clients recently (with a 9/12/18 deadline).  If, as is reasonable, you believe its servers are more secure than your own PC/laptop and connection, it is correct that security concerns are addressed by the switch from POP to IMAP.  It doesn't mention there are advantages to it as well, or point out the disadvantages to the user (like this column sizing issue).  Even if there are advantages -- including better integration with the realities of viewing on mobile devices -- someone made the judgment of columns to include, and how to size them.  I grant that my preferences are just that -- my preferences -- but I suspect most users would prefer to have a wider subject column, and shrink (or just eliminate, like Gmail) the size column.  

Anyway, I suppose that's enough venting on my part.  Thanks again for your help and information.

I am not sure why you would think this.  All they are asking is that you change a port from 110 to 995 POP3 with SSL.  You can continue using POP3 in your client.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.