Community Forum

mail.comcast.net POP3 is gone? incoming pop3 server not working

New Poster

mail.comcast.net POP3 is gone? incoming pop3 server not working

mail.comcast.net, comcast's pop3 incoming email server seems to be completely gone. It is not working on port 995 with SSL and its not even responding to ping requests. No mention of this ANYWHERE on comcast's website, support articles, this forum (although I see people complaining about not getting their emails, I just dont think they understand why) and I never received ANY emails from comcast regarding removing support for POP3 access or anything.  Whats the deal? I would really appreciate an official response here. 

Official Employee

Re: mail.comcast.net POP3 is gone? incoming pop3 server not working

That should not be the case.  POP3S on 995 will continue to be offered.  Are you getting an error, or just no new messages?  Have you checked webmail to ensure there are messages waiting to be fetched via POP?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have the same problem... I am receiving emails as usual on the the xfinity web mail site... but I have not received any emails on my comcast.net pop 3 account through Mozilla Thunderbird for over 24 hours!?!?!   When I try to get messages I get the error message "failed to connect to server mail.comcast.net.   What gives Comcast?

Official Employee

What are you using for your DNS servers?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

DNS issue.  I use Cloudfare for DNS (1.1.1.1 | 1.0.0.1) and it's not resolving, been that way for several days.  Also tried using Google DNS but same issue, if I set it to use Comcast's DNS it works fine.  So, I just modified my hosts file and added the IP for mail.comcast.net and it works with my preferred DNS service.

New Poster

Hi... thanks for the info... if you have the time could you pls post a "step-by-step" on how you modified your hosts file to be able to use those cloudflare settings.  I've been using those settings for quite some time... wonder what change comcast made and why?  Things that make you go hmmmmm?

Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

New Poster

@tahmee wrote:

Hi... thanks for the info... if you have the time could you pls post a "step-by-step" on how you modified your hosts file to be able to use those cloudflare settings.  I've been using those settings for quite some time... wonder what change comcast made and why?  Things that make you go hmmmmm?

Thanks in advance

As for modifying the hosts file, assuming you are running Windows, you will find it in your Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder.  Just open it up in notepad, or whatever text editor you prefer, then add the following line to it below all the text that is already in there:

96.114.157.77     mail.comcast.net

Then save the file.  Depending on how the permissions are set, windows may not let you save the file directly to that folder.  In that case, just save it to your desktop (making sure to remove the .txt extension that notepad will add to it) then copy it back to Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and overwrite the old one.  It should look something like this when you're done.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

96.114.157.77	mail.comcast.net

If you want to use the Cloudfare DNS, or anything else besides Comcast, then just change those settings in your router.  One thing to note, if Comcast ever changes the public IP then you'll need to change the hosts file again to the new IP.  Hopefully the DNS will get updated soon and this will all be irrelavent and you can remove the entry from the hosts file.

New Poster

Thanks for the info on hosts file mod...  ironically... my comcast email accout is working again in Thunderbird!?!  Go figure.  I have, however, save your directions for the host file mod should this situation ever crop up again.  Many thanks!!

Regular Visitor

I had this problem, too.  Comcast support tells me that POP is no longer supported and that all customers must use IMAP.  Apparently, Comcast claims they told all customers about the change via email (seemingly just a few days after this Comcast employee's post), but I never received the message.  So the only way to fix this is to switch to IMAP.  See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pop-imap-mozilla-thunderbird.  Why didn't Comcast post that here?

Expert

@isr wrote:

I had this problem, too.  Comcast support tells me that POP is no longer supported and that all customers must use IMAP.  Apparently, Comcast claims they told all customers about the change via email (seemingly just a few days after this Comcast employee's post), but I never received the message.  So the only way to fix this is to switch to IMAP.  See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pop-imap-mozilla-thunderbird.  Why didn't Comcast post that here?

POP3 isn't going away - at least not any time soon.  The only thing that changed is a port within the POP3 settings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Comcast support told me today that I must change to IMAP and that Comcast sent a message to its customers in September, 2018, that it was doing so (but I never received the message).  Now, if Comcast still supports POP, they didn't try to help me with this problem. 

Expert

@isr wrote:

Comcast support told me today that I must change to IMAP and that Comcast sent a message to its customers in September, 2018, that it was doing so (but I never received the message).  Now, if Comcast still supports POP, they didn't try to help me with this problem. 

Regardless of what they said, POP3 isn't going away.

THIS is what is happening:

Please note that beginning in November 2018, Incoming Mail Server Port Number 110 will no longer be supported. If you wish to continue to use POP, please update your configurations to Port 995. To do so, find your email application's Settings or Preferences section on the device that you use to access your Comcast email account. Note that depending on your email application, port configurations may be located under advanced settings.

The settings to configure an email client can be found here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

The problem for me is that I had been using port 995 for years, so I was already in compliance with the change.  Comcast support simply doesn't know their own policies or how to handle POP problems, it seems. 

Regular Visitor

But thank you, Again -- it seems the change that Comcast support didn't know about and didn't tell me is the name of POP server -- it's now pop3.comcast.net instead of the previous mail.comcast.net. 

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  I am also using Thunderbird.

Frequent Visitor

Again,

I've seen several posts by you on this subject and have to applaud your personal efforts to fight misinformation spread by Comcast support. While you are not a Comcast employee, you certainly are a bright shining light in the midst of all the dim bulbs who are.

At the bottom of this post I pasted the content of an email sent to me by Comcast on August 2, 2018. The last sentence has led me to believe what you have been saying - users have a "preference" between IMAP & POP.

November 2018 is the month Comcast advertised the blocking of port 110 would take place, despite the September date in my email. I've had port 995 w/SSL active since August 2nd, when suddenly on Nov 19th that port stopped working. Unintuitively, the solution for me was to switch back to port 110 w/o SSL, while other folks had to resort to different solutions.

Now my anxiety is at a very uncomfortable level over which day in November the blocking of port 110 will actually take place. But more importantly, what will happen to users (like me) for which port 110 is their only working port. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Should the outcome be disappointing, Comcast needs to understand that for people who must store years of important email communications using their tried & true POP email client, that Verizon FIOS is a sensible alternative.

---Below is the text of the Comcast email---
We suggest you update your settings to improve the security of your email service. Since you use an email application (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) with a ‘POP’ setting to access your Comcast.net email, you’ll need to update to your email settings by 9/12/18 so you can continue to receive your Comcast.net email through the application. Here’s how: Switch from POP to IMAP We recommend using IMAP for a more consistent way to access your email. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to quickly make this change, and learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP. Update the POP port setting If you prefer to use your current POP settings to access your email, then you’ll need to update the Incoming Mail Server Port Number from 110 to 995.

Regular Visitor

For those of you still having problems with POP, I tried the instructions Again linked to, with the new name for the POP server (pop3.comcast.net), and it still didn't work for me.  So I will just have to use IMAP, I guess. 

New Poster

wow, suddenly a huge amount of replies to my post. My original problem simply resolved itself. Comcast's POP3 mail server was simply down for most of that day or more (it was awhile ago, so I don't remember exactly how long). It's now working fine.. I had all the correct ports at the time, no settings were changed to get it to work. 

So my point is.. nothing in these recent replies applied to my original issue whatsoever. Comcast's POP3 email support is working just fine at the moment. That was simply an unacknowledged server outage that lasted a day or few. 

EDIT: I read back on the old replies in august.. maybe it was a DNS issue. I think I am using cloudfare.

New Poster

I have the same November problem. This is what I have discovered:

mail.comcast.net resolves to imap.ge.xfinity.net, not promising for POP

pop3.comcast.net uses a certificate with mail.comcast.net as its common name (CN), not promising for Thunderbird to allow the SSL/TLS connection.

For my next trick, I will switch again to pop3.comcast.net, but this time I will confirm a security exception with Thuderbird. Wish me luck 

New Poster

Re: mail.comcast.net POP3 is gone? SOLVED!

OMG, it worked! I had to notice the password prompt hiding behind the main Tbird window, but then I actually got emails to download for the first time in a week.

So, the problem has multiple parts: The name of the mail server has changed, but the certificate has not kept up. So the Xfinity's config article (showing mail.comcast.net) is wrong, and a good email client will barf or hang because of the wrong name in Xfinity's SSL cert.

Way to go Comcast, you kept me puzzled for a whole week. The phone support guy who said POP3 was dead (yes, I got that too) prolly slowed me down the most. Thunderbird's near opacity didn't help. This thread was very helpful because it got me thinking in DNS terms, and attempting to connect via raw IP is what coaxed Tbird to finally complain about the certificate.

So, use pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password. If/when challenged with "This site has changed the way it identifies itself", you may look at the details, but you'll need to accept a permanent security exception before you can get emails to download. If you don't get that complaint (or one like it), then you may need to try a radically new server name and then change it back in order to jar the email client out of a rut. Note: A password prompt box might lose focus after you finish with the security exception, so look behind the main window.

Tags (1)
Expert

@UncleJeff wrote:

OMG, it worked! I had to notice the password prompt hiding behind the main Tbird window, but then I actually got emails to download for the first time in a week.

So, the problem has multiple parts: The name of the mail server has changed, but the certificate has not kept up. So the Xfinity's config article (showing mail.comcast.net) is wrong, and a good email client will barf or hang because of the wrong name in Xfinity's SSL cert.

Way to go Comcast, you kept me puzzled for a whole week. The phone support guy who said POP3 was dead (yes, I got that too) prolly slowed me down the most. Thunderbird's near opacity didn't help. This thread was very helpful because it got me thinking in DNS terms, and attempting to connect via raw IP is what coaxed Tbird to finally complain about the certificate.

So, use pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password. If/when challenged with "This site has changed the way it identifies itself", you may look at the details, but you'll need to accept a permanent security exception before you can get emails to download. If you don't get that complaint (or one like it), then you may need to try a radically new server name and then change it back in order to jar the email client out of a rut. Note: A password prompt box might lose focus after you finish with the security exception, so look behind the main window.

The link to the config page that I posted above shows the server as pop3.comcast.net .

Frequent Visitor

Aha, there are multiple articles. The one shown me by tech support chat was

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-pop3-110-995. The Thunderbird section has an image of the dialog showing mail.comcast.net.

I am now uncertain of my solution. At the time I started getting emails, I was also persuing a DNS solution that involved editing my hosts file (hence the temporary use of raw IP address). I hadn't restarted networking on my machine, so I didn't think it was in effect. But after working on other mailboxes, now I'm not so sure.

If anyone else gets stuck, the IP address is 96.114.157.77. I'm now using that in place of any server name, and it's working (with the security exception) for all four of my email boxes at Comcast.

New Poster

This solved the problem for me. I needed to change the name of the server to 96.114.157.77. 

Is it as simple as they didn't pay to renew the registration of that IP with the name pop3.comcast.net?

Frequent Visitor

@StronglyTyped wrote:
Is it as simple as they didn't pay to renew the registration of that IP with the name pop3.comcast.net?

No, I think they moved POP3 service from mail.comcast.net to pop3.comcast.net but neglected to update the certificate. There's also some DNS complexity that might not be a problem for those who use Comcast's own DNS servers.

We can fake (and superseed) DNS by editing our hosts files. By supplying the IP address for the subdomain, we can avoid whatever hiccup external DNS servers are suffering... at least until the pop3 server's IP address changes.

New Poster

96.114.157.77 worked for several weeks but now it doesn't. Anybody have any ideas what the current IP address is for the pop3 server?

Regular Contributor

That seems to be a still current IP address. And same for me, worked for weeks then failed today and nothing I try gets it back. Not the hosts file, not DNS changes....nothing.

And thats trying BOTH mail. comcast.net and pop3.comcast.net. Of course the SMTP works find.

~Bob

Frequent Visitor

Likewise -- and I just found a Linux / Thunderbird solution on the Ubuntu Forums

Install libnss-resolve, and then use pop3.comcast.net to download mail.

New Poster

I just switched to this IP: 96.118.148.71 and it worked if I allowed for the security exception. I am using Evolution rather than Thunderbird.

Frequent Visitor

@StronglyTyped wrote:

I just switched to this IP: 96.118.148.71 and it worked if I allowed for the security exception. I am using Evolution rather than Thunderbird.

That works too  Smiley Happy

However, I suspect that Comcast will stir the dynamic-addressing pot again from time to time, so I am going with what I hope is the more robust solution (I used Synaptic to install the libnss-resolve package, and I set my incoming email server to pop3.comcast.net, then restarted Thunderbird). It works (at least for now), and I hope it will roll with any future changes.

Regular Contributor

Not sure where you got the ".71" ( I had tried ".77" but it works! Great! Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Actually that is a very different IP address than I found using ping pop3.comcast.net. Not sure where you found it, but it does work.

Thanks.

New Poster

I saw that IP (with the .71) on the Ubuntu forum. That's what I am using. Anyway, glad you got something to work. I agree that these IP numbers are probably going to keep changing.

Regular Contributor

OK. Got rid of the Certificate Error by adding this to my hosts file then using pop3.comcast.net as the pop3 server:

96.118.148.71 pop3.comcast.net
96.118.148.71 mail.comcast.net

Working - for now.