Community Forum

imap.comcast.net not responding

New Poster

Re: imap.comcast.net not responding

Cannot access email on IPhone or laptop. Message says IMAP.comcast.net is not responding. I have deleted account and set up again but didn’t help
Official Employee

Hi, Tigerpaw76! Do you have any issues with accessing your email on our website? We have some latency issues today with the server. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Cannot access portal either
Official Employee

@Tigerpaw76 - Thank you for checking! Could you please send me a private message with your full name and email address? Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Haven't been able to get emails since early afternoon - what's up, Xfinity?

New Poster

I can't get my email to load - internal server error.  Unable to load request.

How did you forward to your gmail?

Frequent Visitor

Things are fine for me here.  Whatever it is, it's not happening in this area.

@clc4 wrote:

I can't get my email to load - internal server error.  Unable to load request.

How did you forward to your gmail?

I'm using Thunderbird under Windows 10 (two builds, one with the dreaded October update and one without) and LInux (Debian 9).  I use VPN on the phone and laptop, which has the October update, but not on the desktop with Windows 10 or on Linux.  I only go to web mail occasionally to check the spam folder there.

You might try VPN to get to a server in a different area if you have VPN ready to go on something handy.

Contributor

you can't change this on the xfinity site, so how is this going to help

Frequent Visitor

This is all comcast. My wife's e-mail stoped working on her iPone and iPad. This happened around 2:30 (2/5/19). When she got home and used her desktop, the same error. So I turned on my desktop and I was able to receive my comcast email. Also my iPone was getting the comcast email. Now I loged into her email account from my desktop and got the same error that she was getting on her desktop. We both use comcast webmail. To me this is proof that the problem is on comcast end. Our email accounts must be on different servers.
I did not call comcast because i'm not ready to turn every connected device on and off, change settings in my browser and computer, jump through hoops because an uninformed drone behind the screen reading a script off his/her computer screen. All my stuff worked before and I made no changes, so it should work now. Comcast needs to inform people on a clear and open way that there is a problem so that people don't have to search around for an answer. Darn it. That's not what I wrote, but the sensors found d@mn a too strong of a word.

Regular Visitor

My email has been down since yesterday morning.
Frequent Visitor

Exact same here. My email has been down for 18 hours. My wife’s on same account is fine.
New Poster

did you get any assistance to fix?

New Poster

I am having the same issue and i can't access my email on the site/ nor computer

New Poster

Worked for me too! Thanks
New Poster

Likewise, I have not had access to my email inbox via my iPad since yesterday morning, 2/5. I can send, but not receive emails (an error message appears). However, though we’re on the same Comcast account, my wife has not experienced any problems with her email access.  Please advise.

Frequent Visitor

Anyone hear anything from comcast? They must be monitoring this forum thread!! How about a response to the email problems? I checked their outage page. It's all green in my area. Obviously that is not the case.
Frequent Visitor

On your desktop or tablet, pen a command prompt and give the command

nslookup imap.comcast.net

You should get 15 aliases for that URL.  I get

If you get all these, the server is working.  Note that you dont' get a reponse from a nslookup on these IP addresses; that's normal.

Comcast and others are getting more stringent about proper email setup because spammers use automated mass email.  The Comcast page for email setup says:
With IMAP email, (e.g. with incoming mail server imap.comcast.net) use port 993 with SSL enabled.  If "necessary" use port 143, also with SSL.  The sending email setup is to use smtp.comcast.net with port 587 and SSL enabled.  If "necessary" use port 465.  Require Xfinity username and password for logon for both receive and send.

This gives you alternate ports to try for both send and receive.

Frequent Visitor

That's all nice and good if you use an email client. What about webmail? Can't receive email on webmail, get "internal server error" . Sending out email works. It must be the incoming server issue. There is no setting to change on the webmail page. This error happens on multiple devices that were working yesterday morning. As I stated earlier I can receive email on my comcast webmail account but get an "internal server error" when loging into my wife's comcast webmail account on the same computer.
Frequent Visitor

Webmail was my next suggestion.  If you can't receive on Comcast Webmail, write down the exact message or take a screen shot with the error message displayed and save it.  You should also take note of the URL for the page showing the error.  Mine begins with "https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..." (the rest is strange, but write that down too).  With that in hand, call Comcast and report the outage.

I can't help further there because Webmail works for me from my main machine right now.

Frequent Visitor

There are other threads in the forum about this issue. Like I said I'm sure it is an incoming server issue on comcast side. They need to fix this or at least inform people on this problem. Some posters of the other threads talked to tech support and reported the problem. Tech support had no knowledge of these problems. Had problems with IMAP server back in December. That issue was effecting Linux users with email client. Solution was found by using different IMAP address. This issue was due to the way Linux interpret the ip address of the server. Wish that comcast stop messing with their servers. Or at least do some testing before they roll these changes out onto their customers.
Frequent Visitor

Email back up running again. Very happy, had a ton of emails to respond to.
Frequent Visitor

I was involved with the Linux problem with imap.comcast.net server.  With a plethoria of aliases, you need to be able to cope with whatever is going on internally with the IP mechanations, and this was solved by adding a GNU utility specifically for URLs that map to large numbers of aliases.  That may or may not have something to do with the current problem with some Windows platforms but I think it's one of the IMAP servers that isn't in my area, so my Windows system doesn't connect to it.

That's why I suggested that a user with the problem get the exact error message and the exact URL that is in use when the error occurs and call Comcast tech support.

Contributor

I just got done with a chat session with the Xfinity mobile app dept. They affirmed that they are having an issue with email since yesterday (Feb. 5th). My mobile Xfinity Connect app hasn't been able to maintain a connection since the last update in January. Seems to be an issue with older android versions. They started a trouble ticket and said they will contact me within 48 hours. We shall see. I will keep you all informed.

Official Employee

Hello all, 

My apologies for your experience, we did have a known issue with the email server and we did work on the resolution. The issue is mostly resolved by now but there are still discrepancies that we are working on. Thank you all for your patience as we continue to work on this.  

Please let us know here if you are still experiencing this issue. 

New Poster

Getting an imap.comcast.net not responding error as of around noon today.   Was not receiving on my iphone or ipad.   Tried setting up new email account on my windows machine and it shows my recent sent and draft messages, but no new inbox emails.   Issue is only with one of my email accounts not another.  Have tried the different IMAP iterations already posted above, without success.  Have deleted my accound and reinstalled without success. Settings for account that works and the one that doesn't recceive new email appear to be the same.

Official Employee

Hi, ganttown! Have you tried to check your email at https://connect.xfinity.com? 

New Poster

I have been having the same issue since yesterday. I’ve tried everything. Any new fixes?
New Poster

I have used the xfinity email app but it’s very inconvenient.
Official Employee

Thank you for posting, @JGB12. You don't have to use Xfinity Connect app if you don't want to, I just need to know if you have any issues checking your email via our app or website. It will tell me if there are any issues with the email in general. 

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem using Microsoft Office on Windows 10, as well as the m ail clients on an ipad and iphone.  I pinged imap.comcast.net and received "pinging imap.ge.xfinity.com (96.118.19.14):"

request timed out.

I have not been able to get comcast email for two days.  Is there a solution?

Regular Visitor

I forgot to add that comcast web mail works fine.  The problem is only on a client trying to access the imap server.

New Poster

Thank you, but since my post I was able to get it working!
New Poster

How do I get to the area on my iPhone to change the settings. I phone 6
New Poster

I’m having same problem and it just started yesterday
New Poster

I can check my email on the internet through comcast but since 3/7/19 I have had nothing but issues checking/receiving/sending email from Mail on my Mac.  I went so far as to remove the email account and try to reload it, and now it won't even reload.  It works find on my iPad and iPhone.  I'm running the most recent MacOS Mojave

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello all, 

@Ronaldo47 - I got your private messages and replied back but haven't received a response yet. Please check your private messages.

@Dwt47 - What iOS version is your iPhone 6 on? 

@nyet65 -  Could you please provide more details regarding your issue? Are you having issues with 3rd party email programs? 

@taralea2003 - If iPad and iPhone don't have any issues, it could be an issue with the mail app on your Mac. Do you have any other email accounts (non-Comcast) ones loaded in MacMail? 

Official Employee

I understand. In your previous message, you said a tech was able to resolve this. Are you still having email settings issues?