Community Forum

hyperlinks in email won't open

New Poster

hyperlinks in email won't open

Just recently, we can no longer open any hyperlinks in our comcast email.  Two different accounts and two different users.  We both use Chrome.  Solution??

New Poster

Re: hyperlinks in email won't open

I'm also experiencing the same issue.  Problem started Staurday 2/16

Gold Problem Solver

@bevh1149 wrote: ... we can no longer open any hyperlinks ... We both use Chrome. ...

Please see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/nothing-happens-when-I-click-on-a-hyperlink-in-an-e....

New Poster

Issue:

Links don’t seem to work on Xfinity websites.  They aren’t opening websites as expected.

Cause:

According to the Google Chromium forums, this was a known bug in Google Chrome 71 (January release) that didn’t get resolved in Google Chrome 72 (February release).  The bug considers all links that open a new tab to be “pop-ups,” therefore falling under the jurisdiction of Chrome’s built-in pop-up blocker.

This reportedly includes:

• Links that include target=”_blank”, which ask the browser to open the link in a new tab instead of in the current tab.
  • Links that the user opened with the “open link in new tab” action.  For example, right-clicking the link and selecting “open link in new tab” or by pressing the CTRL key while left-clicking the link).

Some experts are blaming the issue on Chrome extensions that scan the link before opening it, for example Ghostery and Norton Security Online.

Resolution:

Until Google Chrome fixes the bug, users can “allow” Xfinity websites to open links in new tabs.

The easiest method is to:

1. Click on a link that doesn’t seem to open.
  2. This will display a small red alert that says “Pop-up blocked” on the far-right of Chrome’s address bar, to the right of the website address.  This alert will shrink and go away in about 3-seconds, leaving only a small red “X” icon.
  3. Click on this icon and select “Always allow pop-ups and redirects from…” then click the “Done” button.
  4. That website will now be allowed to open links in new tabs.
  5. If you experience this issue on other websites, please repeat the steps above on that website as well.
New Poster

I tried what you said and it didn't respond and also didn't show a popup on the side.

New Poster

I got it to work doing what you guys suggested. Thanks!

New Poster

Thanks, it works now

New Poster

Thank you! That worked beautifully!
Contributor

I just got a new laptop.  When I get an email with a password reset link, all that is there is [link].  I think I need to go to the Xfinity setting to allow them to open email links, but I can't find it.  I use Chrome, and don't tell me to switch browsers.  That is a lame solution.

Expert

@purplemintpatty wrote:

I just got a new laptop.  When I get an email with a password reset link, all that is there is [link].  I think I need to go to the Xfinity setting to allow them to open email links, but I can't find it.  I use Chrome, and don't tell me to switch browsers.  That is a lame solution.

This is a known issue with Chrome that Google has yet to fix.  Try right clicking on the link and then opoen in a new window or tab.  Also, you'll need to disable popups in Chrome in order to just left click on the links.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to open a link to a website inside an email that is being viewed on my android phone in the Xfinity email app.  Just touching the link with my fingers (remember, there is not "right-click" on a phone!) does nothing. How do I open a legitimate link sent in an email that I am viewing on my phone?

Expert

@panin29 wrote:

I am trying to open a link to a website inside an email that is being viewed on my android phone in the Xfinity email app.  Just touching the link with my fingers (remember, there is not "right-click" on a phone!) does nothing. How do I open a legitimate link sent in an email that I am viewing on my phone?

Again, it's a problem with the Chrome browser.  Did you try double tapping the link?  Holding down on the link?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!