Community Forum

extra line spacing

New Poster

extra line spacing

when i hit the return key while typing text within a comcast email, it inserts an extra line space (when viewed by recipient).  how do i correct this?  thanks

Expert

Re: extra line spacing

There is no way for you to adjust line spacing in Comcast webmail.  It sounds like the recipient's email service or program in rendering the formatting differently.  I'm curious, what domain is the recipient using?  Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail, something else?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

This is a highly annoying change from the prior mail client. Messages composed normally now look shabby/unprofessional.

New Poster

I finally found a solution based on another user's response to a different question.  Instead of hitting the return key to get to the next line, you have to hit shift/return. An extra space between the lines will not be added. If you want one space between paragraphs, then you would hit shift/return twice.  

Frequent Visitor

The shift-return option proposed above works - but since there's no evidence on the screen that you actually hit the shift key this doesn't seem to be a good solution to me - you won't be able to predict what the recipient will see with any certainty.  I like spacing between paragraphs, and the only solution I can see that has no risk of screw-up is to compose an email without spaces and let the system enter them for you.  If you dn't like spaces between paragraphs you'll have to use the shift-return.  Grade F beta testing.  FYI, I just spent far too long on the comcast prolonged-pain-no-help line and the nice gal on their end told me she couldn't even replicate the problem - said it looked great to her from one end to the other - and if that's true there's little hope of ever solving this bone-headed problem.  (That was a second-level person, unbelievably the first-level wasn't even capable of sending an email to herself to test it.)

New Poster

Funny, I got to this thread because I was finally irritated enough to try to find out the solution to this pesky problem. I use mac OS and Safari and although I haven't tried I wonder if it's a function of the browser? Anyway, I sent myself mail to another account where I use Outlook on Windows and sure enough there are two lines per paragraph. Again, really irritating. 

New Poster

Thanks for the Shift-Return trick.

I am so frustrated with Xfinity / Comcast web mail.

There are so many annoying nuances that I am ready to set my forwarding instructions and go gmail.

Frequent Visitor

I spoke with Comcast second level support about this problem.  She was very attentive and really wanted to help, but this remains an open issue, which we duplicated while on the phone in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

I have another issues where "cut & pastes" into the compse window of Comcast webmail usually causes "blank" characters to be deleted at the end of the sentences (so sentences run together with only a period separating them).  That issue, appears to be specific to Safari -- did not happen on Firefox or Chrome.

Contributor

This really is a pain in the you-know-where. I've never seen any email client -- or any desktop-publishing program for that matter -- exhibit this behavior. It's totally non-standard. Just goes to show that the Comcast developers are ignorant about usability, or just plain ignorant.

Contributor

Note that there are multiple threads regarding this problem, which was first reported in January --  nearly  six (6) months ago. Plenty of time for them to have fixed it by now. Either it's not a priority for them, or they simply don't care.

Frequent Visitor

@kram160 wrote:

Note that there are multiple threads regarding this problem, which was first reported in January --  nearly  six (6) months ago. Plenty of time for them to have fixed it by now. Either it's not a priority for them, or they simply don't care.

The Comcast customer support people do care, at least when you escalate, my rep spent about an hour on the phone duplicating the issue.  It's just that development does nothing.  It's a known issue according to the support rep, but they have no status, no ETA for a fix, nothing.   They added me to the "high priority" list to be contacted (by email) when there is an update on this problem, but there have been no updates and at this point I don't expect anything.   This problem still continues to kill me because very often subsequent paragraphs in emails aren't read because there is way too much space between paragraphs and it looks like the email has only one paragraph and people often don't see the rest.  If I remember, I use Shift-CR to reduce the spaces from something like 5 to something like 3, but it's very easy to forget to do that and even when I do that, it's still often too much space.  This bug is costing me business.  It may also cost Comcast my business, because email is unusable for me, but they don't seem to care at all.

Frequent Visitor

Wow I can't believe this remains an issue. Really really shabby Comcast. Adds to the long list of reasons I am waiting for some other highspeed internet service in my region. As soon as there is a viable alternative I am out.

New Poster

I just spoke to a comcast rep. 

Problem  Xfinity email:

When composing,  sentences look normal on line spacing and between paragraphs.

When it is sent, it comes out double-spaced between lines  and four spaces between paragraphs.  

As it is, it makes composing a professional/business letter impossible.

The double spacing appearing after sending is a known problem.  It is with development but there is no fix date stated.

Annoying work-around: Holding shift down before hitting "enter"  (each time)  when composing will send email normally i.e., as you see it on composing prior to sending.

I sent this  work-around on to development via the Comcast rep. It should be a fairly simple programming fix.

Frequent Visitor

(I thought I sent this a month or so ago but don't see it on the page.)

I have a system that works,  and I doubt it's browser-specific.  I just compose my emails assuming comcast will expand spacing on regular returns but not on shift-returns.  When I'm finished I highlight the entire message - regular returns show up with a small space (which will be expanded later), shift-returns (which I rarely use) have no spacing.  If you have any doubts about how the email will look, just save it as a draft and go look at it there - that's what the recipient will see.  Someday comcast will fix the problem and screw me up again, but for now this works for me.

Frequent Visitor

In the seemingly extraordinarily unlikely event that anyone at Comcast really cares about real-world customers, this is a show stopper. You are forcing me to dump Comcast email - after at least a decade of reasonably satisfied usage.

<extra space for theatric value>

I've now had multiple recipients miss SIGNIFICANT portions a messages becuase of this extra space that I simply do not see as I compose the message. The extraneous blank lines cause some recipients to wrongly assume the message has ended.

Frequent Visitor

Scott - have you tried just leaving out the extra spaces as I suggested above?  Yes, you shouldn't need a workaround - but it's easy to distinguish a return from a shift-return by selecting all text, and if you're cognizant of the shortcoming it's easy to manage.  (I can think of lots of reasons to leave comcast - but to me this isn't one.  If it's the last straw - well, that's different.)

Frequent Visitor

While I appreciate your offer of help @dbswayne I strongly disagree that this is manageable. I really haven't the time to continue futzing with this. I have tried with limited success on simply formatted email - a small percentage of what I do. For casual/social usage this is probably acceptable. For my purposes it simply is not. 

It is quite simply UNACCEPTABLE that the email I draft is not what Comcast sends.

Again I do thank you for your effort. Just doesn't work for me.

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

I agree, it is totally unacceptable.  Even when I'm about using "shift-CR", messages  often end up poorly and unprofessionally and inconsistently formatted because you can't see what it will look like until you send.  This has cost me business as well, where everything after the first paragraph wasn't read because they thought it was the end of the message.   That is not a one-off occurrence, it is the norm.

Here is my pathetic workaround.  I type my email messages in Word, then I cut paste from Word into the Comcast compose window.   But I don't do that in Safari, because the Comcast compose on Safari also inexplicably deletes spaces after the period at the end of the sentences so normally formatted sentences all run together after you paste.  So I use Chrome Comcast compose (I never use Chrome, only for this), then I cut & paste.   It looks weird in the Chrome Comcast compose window because it looks like there are no carriage returns  between paragraphs at all, but when you send the email and copy yourself, it is formatted as it was in Word when you receive it.

It's a total disgrace that Comcast hasn't even looked at this.  I've been on the "high priority" list to be notified immediately on updates for a long time and never receive anything.  I talked to them on the phone  for more than an hour and a half and escalated they had no information.  The reps on the phone were very nice, it's just that development doesn't do anything so they have nothing to say.

Expert

@dbswayne wrote:

Scott - have you tried just leaving out the extra spaces as I suggested above?  Yes, you shouldn't need a workaround - but it's easy to distinguish a return from a shift-return by selecting all text, and if you're cognizant of the shortcoming it's easy to manage.  (I can think of lots of reasons to leave comcast - but to me this isn't one.  If it's the last straw - well, that's different.)

There is no need to use any kind of workaround.  I just sent a two paragraph email to 5 other non-Comcast email accounts I have with Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, iCloud and Mail.com----------it rendered exactly as it should, even down to the font and color at all five of them.  There are only two  things to keep in mind when composing in the Appsuite software regarding line spacing:

1)  Stop hitting the return key at the end of a line-----just keep typing and let the word-wrap feature work.  It will single-space it for you. 

2)  To start a new paragraph, just hit return once.  The recipient will see it normally spaced as two-line, even though it will look single-spaced to you.  Try it yourself.

The email software is working exactly as it is designed and intended to, regarding line spacing.  It's not intended to be used as a word processor.  To send someone an actual letter or other documents you need to compose it in a  word processor like MS Word, Mac Pages, Open Office, or one of the online services like Google Docs.  Then send the finished item to your recipient as an attachment.  About the closest thing you can get to a word processor in email is to enable the account in a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird.  But even those are no match for something like Mac Pages, MS Word or Google Docs when it comes to creating actual documents.

The new software takes into account the increasing usage of mobile devices with smaller screens, which are now used for nearly 50% of Comcast account sign-ins.  The older Zimbra format is not well suited for that environment.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Latoque wrote:

There is no need to use any kind of workaround.  I just sent a two paragraph email to 5 other non-Comcast email accounts I have with Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, iCloud and Mail.com----------it rendered exactly as it should, even down to the font and color at all five of them.  There are only two  things to keep in mind when composing in the Appsuite software regarding line spacing:

1)  Stop hitting the return key at the end of a line-----just keep typing and let the word-wrap feature work.  It will single-space it for you. 

2)  To start a new paragraph, just hit return once.  The recipient will see it normally spaced as two-line, even though it will look single-spaced to you.  Try it yourself.

The email software is working exactly as it is designed and intended to, regarding line spacing.  It's not intended to be used as a word processor.  To send someone an actual letter or other documents you need to compose it in a  word processor like MS Word, Mac Pages, Open Office, or one of the online services like Google Docs.  Then send the finished item to your recipient as an attachment.  About the closest thing you can get to a word processor in email is to enable the account in a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird.  But even those are no match for something like Mac Pages, MS Word or Google Docs when it comes to creating actual documents.

The new software takes into account the increasing usage of mobile devices with smaller screens, which are now used for nearly 50% of Comcast account sign-ins.  The older Zimbra format is not well suited for that environment.

Whattttt?????????????? 

Look up WYSIWYG.

Any email editor that is not WYSIWYG is severely broken.   If you are the developer, stop thinking from the myopic view of a developer stuck in a vacuum and think from the perspective of the people who use the software.   There isn't one email composer that corrupts format like Comcast and I've never seen any email composer that has any negative impact on messages to phones.  Comcast's current email isn't even consistent with the prior Comcast email, which was WYSIWYG, and Comcast's prior version of email had no problem sending or receiving from smart phones.

Your edit suggestions don't even make any sense in any real-world application.  When there is no space between paragraphs and you've written a long message, and you want to proofread it, you can't see where the paragraphs are and some sentences that naturally line wrapped after the period will look like paragraphs when they aren't.   Also, in business, there is a huge difference in what is appropriate to put in the body of the text versus what you attach (people rarely open attachments).   To say that you should attach what you can't edit is ridiculous.  Every email composer on the planet, except Comcast, has more than enough formatting controls to compose messages as you want them to appear.  Only Comcast corrupts the message format.

Frequent Visitor

you can't see what it will look like until you send

(Broken record here again sorry - last time no flames pls) - You *can* see what it will look like before you send, simply save a draft and go look.  Do that a few times and you'll likely no longer need to, since Selecting-All text displays exactly where the spaces will ultimately be.  I'm not saying it's good design (it ain't IMO), nor trying to define acceptable for anyone - just saying I'm confident there are others on the planet who would also find the comcast shortcoming manageable.  (Over and out I promise.)

New Poster

Same problems here.

The formatting in Word doesn't help. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue.

It's really not possible to format a business response without a tedious amout of time spent on editing your own letter.

As a writer, I care about how my messages go out in all forms  including email.  I'll likely switch to Outlook.

Expert

One thing I have noticed that is consistent in this thread is that people are saying "business".  You're using a residential account to write business emails.  Granted, you're all home based businesses, but residential email isn't equipped to handle what you're attempting to do.  At least, not any longer.

FWIW, Thunderbird has the ability to use Paragraphs, Headings and Preformatted styles.  And, it's free.

If you liked Zimbra, they have a desktop version.

Also, you're not paying for email.  If you were, it would be a line item on your billing statement.

Frequent Visitor

@Again wrote:

One thing I have noticed that is consistent in this thread is that people are saying "business".  You're using a residential account to write business emails.  Granted, you're all home based businesses, but residential email isn't equipped to handle what you're attempting to do.  At least, not any longer.

FWIW, Thunderbird has the ability to use Paragraphs, Headings and Preformatted styles.  And, it's free.

If you liked Zimbra, they have a desktop version.

Also, you're not paying for email.  If you were, it would be a line item on your billing statement.

I really wish "experts" would stop apologizing for Comcast.  Email is SEVERELY BROKEN.   Maintaining the format of the message you wrote is NOT an advanced function -- it is the most fundamental baseline requirement of any communication system.  There aren't any other email systems that screw up your message format.  It doesn't matter whether emails are for business, or applying to college (important personal), or organizing a neighbor event, or sending a family update, or a graduation party invite, or a note to a problematic teacher at your child's school, or anything else, -- nobody wants stuff they spent time writing, and that often is very  important, to be unread.  Nobody wants to look unprofessional and haphazard (formatting-wise) when they spent a lot of time composing and formatting a message.

Comcast email is NOT free, it's part of the bundled services you pay for.  Who do you think pays for the email development and support team?   I pay Comcast $230 a month, even though their email system is the worst (though it was fine before they "improved" it) and even though Comcast's DVR programming is the worst (Comcast is the only provider that doesn't allow you to schedule DVR programs from a smart phone because they are too cheap to pay licensing fees).  

Show me where I can get Comcast email for free so I can keep my email address, then I'll use that free service and dump all of Comcast.

Expert

@peter1231 wrote:

-------------------------- 

I really wish "experts" would stop apologizing for Comcast.  -----------

Comcast email is NOT free, it's part of the bundled services you pay for.  

Show me where I can get Comcast email for free so I can keep my email address, then I'll use that free service and dump all of Comcast.

We are not apologizing for anything or anyone;  we are trying to explain reality to you.  Comcast has no obligation to provide you with email.  Read the ToS you agreed to when you signed up for the account.  They can, and have, (think calendar) add, discontinue or change any feature they care to.

If you think some other email program is better suited to your needs, by all means, use it.  No one is stopping you.  You are not required to use Comcast's email.  You can keep your email address and account active after leaving Comcast if you like.  See here----------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/using-email-only
See also---------------

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-activity

With that, I'm closing this thread as it has played out its usefulness.