Community Forum

email

Contributor

email

Email suddenly went down a little while ago both desktop and iphone. 

Otherwise, internet working

Contributor

Re: email

Can't connect to server here using Win 10.  I am receiving emails on my Galaxy S7.

Contributor

same here in WA... can't connect to mail server via Outlook 365. Webmail works. Comcast Customer support sent me to Microsoft ...what an...(needs training).

Regular Contributor

Same here in Portland.

Frequent Visitor

I wonder if we are having the same problem. I'm using POP3 and HAVE updated the ports and SSL a month ago. Everything was workign fine yesterday but today when I try to log into my pop3.comcast.net (incoming mail server) using port 995 and SSL I'm given an error (in outlook) 0x800CCC1A:
"Your server does not support the connect encryption type you have specified"

I've tried changing ports and using mail.comcast.net adn turning SSL on and off. Nothing works. Meanwhile, my email connection to 1and1.com servers is working.

I tried using IMAP on my iPhone and it works fine.

What OS and mail client is everyone having a problem having and what is the error you are experiencing?

Regular Contributor

I'm using POP3 and just tested changing back to Incoming Port 110 instead of 995 with Outlook 2010 and also "unchecked" the encrytpted connection box ..... now everything works.  I did not change my Outgoing server settings which are per the link below.

The link below from Comcast shows the correct configurations they need for POP3 for most all of the different 3rd party email clients.   It's possible that Comcast may have finally shut down Port 110 today because I too have been properly configured per the link below for most of the last year using Outlook 2010, yet something may have gone amiss.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Update-Your-Xfinity-Email-POP-Port-Settings/m-p/315...

Hopefully someone from Comcast might double-check what happened today in the PacNW ... Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks eecon1 . . . switching back to 110 and unchecking SSL worked for me too  (Outlook express).  I'm in Massachusetts, so the problem is not limited to the NW.

Contributor

Everything working again here in WA. I also think somewhere, someone was working on the port and ssl issue and things got messed up as webmail continued to work. 

I called Comcast and talked to a tech who was absolutely useless (and actually quite condescending). Explained the problem and asked if there was an outage or issue, he replied there was none. I told him that internet was working fine (even though he insisted I should open a few websites), but that the mail server was not accessible. He continued to claim that Comcast network was fine, and that I should take it up with my "email provider".  When I mentioned that my email provider was comcast (as he could see ), he switched gear and told me he would pass me over to experts for Outlook. He provided me with a 1-800 number (which I thought was for second tier Comcast support). When I called this number I got.....drumroll.....Microsoft. So he just passed the buck not having a clue.   Some techs at comcast are great....this one....well...

As of now, all working with the new ports etc

Frequent Visitor

Port 995 came back briefly . . . but gone again

New Poster

Grateful in Pennsylvania!  I too had tried everything possible, but email would not receive or send.  So I did what you all suggested, and everything now works great.  Thank you to all the true experts!!

Regular Contributor

Re: email - update

Hang in there folks ... The Cavalry is hopefully coming to let us skip the temporary work-around that I posted about 12 hours ago.  I also sent a Private Message 12 hours ago to ComcastJessie with a link to our thread and an explanation of the situation.

I see Jessie is now back online and hopefully can chime in here with an update as to what's happening.

For now all I can do is use unencryted Port 110 for Incoming with Outlook 2010 as of Noon Monday PT.

Stay tuned folks, as I suspect Comcast Engineers are probably already working on this issue.

Frequent Visitor

Still not working here in CA.

Comcast's POP3 service on mail.comcast.net broke yesterday (Sunday November 18), somewhere between 3pm and 7pm.  Since that time, it has been returning errors on email clients that were previously working (and received mail from the comcast service at 3pm).

I have rebooted my machine, routers, tried disabling firewalls (temporarily, of course), etc. Double checked all the updated setttings, even tried the old settings (port 110 doesn't work, and reverted to the new ones).

The problem appears to be a change on the mail.comcast.net server.

While I can use the web client for a day or so, I need the server working again soon (too much mail, too many attachments to deal with on the web client).

Also, why did this server failure not set off alarms for Comcast?  Why is a non-working email server not getting immediate attention from comcast's operations/engineering teams?

Regular Visitor

EMAIL not available on PC, Xfinity Website, and Xfinity Connect. It does not work on the stock app on my Iphone as well. Very frustrating.

Regular Contributor

@ChrisCox .... What 3rd Party Email program are you using?  If it's Outlook 2007 or higher just go into the account settings and uncheck the Incoming SSL box and Port 995 will change back to 110.  That's all I had to do for all 4 of my email accounts as a temporary work-around.

Contributor

Don't you just love it when something works, and suddenly doesnt? We changed nothing, all equipment on our part works, and yet somehow these companies won't assume responsiblity that THEY broke the system.   If this cost us $9.95 per month we could chalk it up to you get what you pay for, but we are all paying a whole lot more than that. Are we going to get credit on our bills for the time the system didnt work?  (rhetorical question)

Contributor

Yes, these companies say YOU should do all this work, when we know THEY did something wrong. Have had similar problems with Quicken too. 

Regular Contributor

@WD19 wrote:

Don't you just love it when something works, and suddenly doesnt? We changed nothing, all equipment on our part works, and yet somehow these companies won't assume responsiblity that THEY broke the system.   If this cost us $9.95 per month we could chalk it up to you get what you pay for, but we are all paying a whole lot more than that. Are we going to get credit on our bills for the time the system didnt work?  (rhetorical question)

My guess is yes if everyone here asks via a Private Message to ComcastJessie, although I'm not a Comcast Employee ... just an 18-year-long Triple-Play Premiere Customer.

Frequent Visitor

Changing to port 110 did not work for me (timed out instead of getting an error like port 995) in the SF,CA area.
From other comments, I have a suspicion that servers in different data centers may be in different states of misconfiguration.

Contributor

It's times like this that I don't want to bundle everything with one company. 

Regular Contributor

Okay Chris, thanks .... makes sense.  Maybe the situation is more dire than just the implementation of the Port 110 thing .... I've found over the years that rolling out a change like that is something they do by region over a period of weeks, so as not to bring down the entire nation.

Thus, maybe it's somerthing more serious caused by outside forces beyond their immediate control.

Frequent Visitor
Contributor

Changing back to port 110 did not work here. Still cannot download email to my PC using both MS Outlook 2007 and Outlook Express but iPads and Android phone work fine. I have changed server from mail.comcast.net to pop3.comcast.net and back. I've checked the excryption box and unchecked it and changed the ports and rebooted the computer several times.

Frequent Visitor

@Lee151  did you also unselect SSL ?

Contributor

Yes

Frequent Visitor

30 year IT Veteran here:

What's up is that the SSL certificate for their POP3 servers is invalid. So, they are temporarily reenabling standard port 110 access without SSL until it can be fixed.

It works for some but not others because it takes time to migrate settings and verify you aren't breaking other things as you go. With a network infrastructure as big and spread out as theirs you never  just say, "oh that's it," click a button and tell 100 servers to all make the same change. That's why some of us (I have) had success switching back to 110/No SSL and it's working fine For others, sorry, looks like you'll just have to wait.

Why do some people have success using their iOS device? When you add a comcast account on your iOS device it asks comcast what settings to use and comcast sets the account up using IMAP, not POP3 (frankly, it's what everyone should be using but, like you, i have my reasons for sticking with POP3 for certain accounts). Truthfully we should all be using protocols like Google uses with push technology instead of the god awful IMAP protocol ... but it's an open standard. It'll take someone like Apple or Google opening up their push protocol for their email for everyone else to join in.

Tags (1)
Contributor

Thank you for that explanation. I keep the pop 3 so i can synch Outlook on my desktop with my ios devices. 

Frequent Visitor

For those who aren't having luck when switching back to port 110 without SSL, try this; change your incoming server from pop3.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net to one of thse two IPs:

96.115.224.234 or 96.118.208.60

Those work for me in SE MI, might work for you.

New Poster

Please note: DNS services are down for mail.comcast.net.

Regular Contributor

Just to add my $0.02 worth.   My pop checker(Mailwasher) stopped working(with my Xfinity accts) also.    However oddly my email client(OE Classic....newer OE replacement)) continued to work with the same settings.

I see on the latter posts some configuation issues.

I would also like to point out that during my troubleshooting I am finding 2 different server recommentations for incoming POP mail.   One being mail.comcast.net and the  other pop3.comcast.net.    They may map to the same IP however.  Unsure.

Contributor

Uncheck SSL authentication, uncheck password authentication and change server to pop3.comcast.net and incoming port to 110. This work around should work on OE. If you are using Outlook change TSL to none w drop down menu. This worked for me on both programs after hours of experimentation. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: IMAP

I tried migrating from pop3 to imap yesterday (running latest Thunderbird on latest Ubuntu LTS). When I copied my folders within Tbird, all of my tagging metadata was lost (and the copying took HOURS. Then this morning I discovered that Comcast had stolen all of my emails, copying them up to its server (about 10,000 messages accumulated over the last 18 years). What a nightmare! I don't want Comcast to have all that! Then I used the file system to go into my Thunderbird profile to replace the imap mail files with pop3 mail files. This successfully recovered all of the tags, but then the real horror show began as Thunderbird started copying all of these messages up to the Comcast server [i]and[/i] downloading yesterday's uploads to the imap folders in Thunderbird. I killed it at about the 1000 message mark each way. After a few restarts caused the same thing each time, I then had 2-3 copies of the messages in several folders. What a nightmare! I'm sure glad I copied yesterday's mail and made a complete backup of my pop3 files from my .thunderbird profile. I blew away everything on the server and everything in the IMAP folders in Thunderbird. Then I removed the IMAP account from Tbird. I will NEVER touch IMAP again.
Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

Re: email - Update for Portland, OR

As of 6:30 pm PT the Portland, OR area is now back to normal and Port 995 is working again with SSL encryption. No need (at least for now ) to use the unencrypted Port 110 work-around.  Works with both mail.comcast.net and pop3.comcast.net incoming servers.

I re-enabled Incoming Port 995 and its encryption SSL check box on Outlook 2010 per this link last month from ComcastJessie:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Update-Your-Xfinity-Email-POP-Port-Settings/m-p/315...

Note: I never had to change my Outgoing smtp.comcast.net server settings during the work-around period as I was always able to send outgoing mail using Port 587 and TLS.

Contributor

Thank you! I had to change port 995 to 110 and then change back on one email I didn't touch yesterday but now are all working on port 995 again. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm just north of the river in Vancouver WA, but we have no joy here yet  

Frequent Visitor

Re: POP3 email

Just talked to Comcast tech support about the email breakage. He claimed that Comcast has permanently abandoned POP3 (downloading email to my machine), forcing customers to use IMAP (all messages reside on a Comcast server, which includes UPLOADING messages moved from one client folder to any client folder under the IMAP account). I am furious and may quit Comcast after 20 years as a customer.

Contributor

It's like AT&T raising prices on landline phone service in a deliberate attempt to lose customers. 

It's not like these companies are not making plenty of money overall and are hurting. Comcast is making so much money that they keep buying up other companies. 

Frequent Visitor

@jeffryfisher wrote:

Just talked to Comcast tech support about the email breakage. He claimed that Comcast has permanently abandoned POP3 (downloading email to my machine), forcing customers to use IMAP (all messages reside on a Comcast server, which includes UPLOADING messages moved from one client folder to any client folder under the IMAP account). I am furious and may quit Comcast after 20 years as a customer.

He is wrong, they are not abandoning pop3, at least not yet. If they do they will announce it well ahead of time, not late Sunday night before thanksgiving 

Frequent Visitor

If he was indeed wrong, then I suspect he won't stay wrong for long. After the tech call, I got a "how did we do" robo call-back from Comcast. After marking my issue as unresolved, I left voice-mail detail that will prolly get the recording "for quality assurance" listened to.

Regular Contributor

Re: POP3 email - POP3 Rumors

@jeffryfisher wrote:

If he was indeed wrong, then I suspect he won't stay wrong for long. After the tech call, I got a "how did we do" robo call-back from Comcast. After marking my issue as unresolved, I left voice-mail detail that will prolly get the recording "for quality assurance" listened to.

I suggest everyone who really wants a knowledgeable correct answer simply send a PM question (private message ) to the Forum Administrator ComcastJessie who clearly stated in last month's posted configuration instructions that POP3 is not going to be dropped at the link below:

I've learned over the last 18 years that talking on the phone to Comcast Customer Service or Tech Support  is not the best way to secure correct answers (usually from newbie call-center folk ) .

If some of you newer visitors have never sent a PM, simply go to the link above and click on ComcastJessie at the top upper left  and when Jessie's profile comes up on the next screen, just click on the Send Private Message at the top upper right.   It's easy and the answers from Comcast Employees on this Forum are reliable.

Please, let's all be cautious about starting or speading rumors based on just one phone call to Comcast Tech Service ... Thank you.

Expert

Re: POP3 email - POP3 Rumors

@eecon1 wrote:

@jeffryfisher wrote:

I suggest everyone who really wants a knowledgeable correct answer simply send a PM question (private message ) to the Forum Administrator ComcastJessie who clearly stated in last month's posted configuration instructions that POP3 is not going to be dropped at the link below:

I've learned over the last 18 years that talking on the phone to Comcast Customer Service or Tech Support  is not the best way to secure correct answers (usually from newbie call-center folk ) .

If some of you newer visitors have never sent a PM, simply go to the link above and click on ComcastJessie at the top upper left  and when Jessie's profile comes up on the next screen, just click on the Send Private Message at the top upper right.   It's easy and the answers from Comcast Employees on this Forum are reliable.

Please, let's all be cautious about starting or speading rumors based on just one phone call to Comcast Tech Service ... Thank you.

Uhm, no.  Do NOT send an unrequested PM to @ComcastJessie because it's against Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy to do so.

POP3 is not being dropped at this time.  Only a port change is happening.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: POP3 email - SOLVED

The problem has multiple parts: The name of the mail server has changed (must now use pop3.comcast.net), but the certificate has not kept up (still says mail.comcast.net). So the Xfinity's config article (showing mail.comcast.net) is wrong, and a good email client will barf or hang because of the wrong name in Xfinity's SSL cert.

So, use pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password. If/when challenged with "This site has changed the way it identifies itself", you may look at the details, but you'll need to accept a permanent security exception before you can get emails to download. If you don't get that complaint (or one like it), then you may need to try a radically new server name and then change it back in order to jar the email client out of a rut. Note: A password prompt box might lose focus after you finish with the security exception, so look behind the main window.

Regular Contributor

@UncleJeff wrote:

So, use pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password. If/when challenged with "This site has changed the way it identifies itself", you may look at the details, but you'll need to accept a permanent security exception before you can get emails to download. If you don't get that complaint (or one like it), then you may need to try a radically new server name and then change it back in order to jar the email client out of a rut. Note: A password prompt box might lose focus after you finish with the security exception, so look behind the main window.

UncleJeff ... Would you please clarify about the "need to accept a permanent security exception" after using pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS?   I did change about a week ago and everything is working okay.   However, I never received the "if/when" email challenge you referenced after a week of all working well.  What confuses me a bit is your comment about not receiving a sever complaint may require doing something more radical ... or, is that only if trouble persists in receiving email?

Frequent Visitor

pop3.comcast.net using port 995 w/SSL does not work for me. But oddly it depends on messages size, either way it's very slow. I'm in Phila BTW.

A simple 1 word test email DID get retrieved after 48 seconds.

A test email with a pdf attachment did NOT get retrieved, after 1 min 40 seconds I get the error msg "Failed: Connection closed unexpectedly by server."

pop3.comcast.net using port 110 w/o SSL works fine. Was finished retrieving test email with the attachment after 2 seconds.

I get the exact same behavior when using mail.comcast.net

Frequent Visitor

@eecon1 wrote:

@UncleJeff wrote:

So, use pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password. If/when challenged with "This site has changed the way it identifies itself", you may look at the details, but you'll need to accept a permanent security exception...

UncleJeff ... Would you please clarify about the "need to accept a permanent security exception" after using pop3.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS?   I did change about a week ago and everything is working okay.

If everything is OK, then don't worry about it. I may have been up against some Thunderbird sensitivity to a name mismatch between the certificate and server.

BTW, my playing with the IP address as server name may have been more important than I realized at the time. I also tried putting it into my hosts file (saved but networking not restarted in Ubuntu). It seems that my system in my location needs one or the other, so I could have some DNS issue too.

My solution now for all four email boxes is (after backing-out my hosts file change) to use 96.114.157.77 in place of pop3.comcast.net as my server name. However, I don't expect many others will need to go that far.

Certificate issue + DNS issue = week-long puzzle.

Frequent Visitor

I use up-to-date Debian stable Linux and the Thunderbird email reader.  I am currently accessing email on Comcast using 96.114.157.77 and port 995.

For 10 days, (!) I have not been able to access email using address pop3.comcast.net.  There have been discussions at Ubuntu (a variant of Debian) at URL:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2406399&s=2bf44ccaca221b9fcf7887f740aee5a3&p=13817678#post...

Will Comcast please coordinate with Ubuntu to fix this mess.

Frequent Visitor

That Ubuntu thread has yet another partially-informed "expert" asserting that we must switch to IMAP. This is not true. Comcast's config is broken, but POP3 is still there, just hard to use. Either paste the IP into the server field or else assign it to pop3.comcast.net in your hosts file.

Even worse, the so-called expert goes on to claim that one should recreate all of one's folders in IMAP. This is false and potentially dangerous! It is entirely reasonable (and in my opinion preferable) to move all existing folders to the "offline folders" area of Thunderbird and then create a raft of filters on the IMAP inbox to move incoming messages to those folders, preserving them on the server only temporarily if necessary.

Regular Visitor

my email is not updating. I get a message that my password has changed but I don't know what it is. This did not happen untill I installed new Xfinity services, cable television and security.
Expert

@dallbaugh wrote:
my email is not updating. I get a message that my password has changed but I don't know what it is. This did not happen untill I installed new Xfinity services, cable television and security.

@are you using a @comcast.net email or email from a past provider?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!