Community Forum

email unusable - error message regarding imap.

New Poster

email unusable - error message regarding imap.

Error

The connection to remote server imap.email.comcast.net was refused or timed out while attempting to connect. Please try again later.
New Poster

Re: email unusable - error message regarding imap.

What OS?

What mail application?

When did this problem start?

New Poster

I recently recreated my accounts in Thunderbird since the POP server wasn't working. Now it's the IMAP server. I don't know what's going on, but Comcast email has become useless. I don't like visiting websites to see my email.

Thunderbird on Ubuntu 18.10

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. See my message in the earlier thread titled "Error The connection to remote server imap.email.comcast.net was refused or timed out.." It only affects my Linux machine, not my Windows or Android machines.

Weird.

Frequent Visitor

[Me too report] Last email held here at 29-Nov-2018 11:33EST, though actual time of first failure unknown, since emails since then were being handled on a Windows machine with Thunderbird. Thunderbird on Linux machine reports "Failed to connect to server imap.comcast.net" Ubuntu 18.04; Thunderbird 60.2.1 64-bit. No changes to account in the last four weeks. Windows machine also with T'Bird was used between 1133 and 1800EST; emails were processed on that machine without difficulty. Password checked in Firefox and on Android phone - both connect and handle mail with the same password.
Gold Problem Solver

@ralanm wrote: ... Thunderbird on Ubuntu 18.10

Does https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Error-The-connection-to-remote-server-imap-email-co... help? I don't run Linux, so I can't test this.

Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

@ralanm wrote: ... Thunderbird on Ubuntu 18.10

Does https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Error-The-connection-to-remote-server-imap-email-co... help? I don't run Linux, so I can't test this.

Yes, it does. Thanks.

New Poster

Had same problem with Linux Mint 19 (based on Ubuntu 18.04), initially on Comcast pop mail about a week ago. Comcast customer service told me to switch to imap and that worked intially, but the problem occured again so I now couldn't receive Comcast emails on imap a few days later.

Checked other forums and found temporary solution per this thread:    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2406399

I had to accept a Comcast security certifcate that wasn't considered valid by Thunderbird as an exception, but the fix has continued to work for three days.  Before doing so, I also tested another e-mail program (Gerry), but it had the same problem connecting to Comcast mail service over SSL/TSL.  Comcast emails were getting through on imap in Windows 10 Mail, so the problem with incompatable security certificates seems to only be present when on Ubuntu based distros. 

Comcast customer support on this issue has been pitiful!  Useless suggestions from their reps and even now, several days after I reported the problem(s), I still haven't been contacted by the higher e-mail fixit group that they supposedly escalated it to .  If it wasn't for forums like this and google search, problems like this would never get resolved.  Thanks to the other users who have contributed to solving the problem while Comcast does nothing!

New Poster

Subsequent report on Ubuntu forum: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2406399

noted that installing libnss-resolve fixed the problem with Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 19.  I have confirmed that this works and that the previous workarounds that required specifying an alternate server and accepting certificate exception are no longer required.