Community Forum

email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

Contributor

Re: email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

It appears that all of my email have been restored. Good luck to all.

Contributor

It's good to hear that emails have been restored.  If your email client tried to synchronoize  when the Comcast system was rebuilding itself,  chances are that your file structure was wiped out. At least that's what happened to me.  I use Outlook 2016.  Comcast did re-establish all the folders on the xfinity email site; but I don't think they can do much on your PC.   I had to create the folders localy, then create rules to populate the folders.  The folders could be filled manually.  A lot of this relates to how IMAP works.  Good luck to all.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure the Inbox emails retained for use in the weeks ahead will be restored. So far, that hasn't happened but my phone has a pointer to a few hundred that it repeatedly fails to load. It looks like the folder structure has to be manually managed from the "recovered" files but there's no word on when the restore process will be complete. Or, if that's as good as it gets.  

Contributor

I am one hour away from the 72 our timeframe that they told me everything would be restored if it can be restored . If my photos and emails are gone for good I am going to be heartsick as some of the emails I had saved for emails from family members who are no longer living and if Comcast cause them to be gone forever I honestly don’t know what to say at this. if my folders and emails are gone for good I am going to be heartsick as some of the emails I had saved for emails from family members who are no longer living and if Comcast cause them to be gone forever I honestly don’t know what to say at this point
New Poster

Still no actions to my account at this time.  C'mon comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Nothing for me either.  I've been through two completely worthless telephone sessions with support, in which I was told to just keep waiting.

Contributor

@seedsman wrote:

Still no actions to my account at this time.  C'mon comcast.

I am on day four of nothing.  Was told last night that everything would be back to normal in 72 hours.  Nothing but lies.  Back on hold again - right now 40 minutes and counting.  At this point I am demanding a phone number to a higher up - which I was denied last night.  Some of these emails that are missing are holding up things that I need to be doing.  I am beyond frustrated at this point. 

Contributor

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS ANSWER???  I was transferred to a Level 2 agent today.  First time they heard about my issues, athough I was promised two days ago that my case was being transferred to Level 2 at that time.  Now they are telling me that when the servers were switched, if my folders haven't been restored by now, that they are lost forever.  LOST FOREVER!!!  But - she is now escalating my case further up the line and it might take up to 72 hours for someone to get back to me.  So  now I wait.....put things on hold because I have no way to get to the information that I need.....

Contributor

I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully, there is a backup somewhere that they can restore. They owe you for this. You need to raise a stink with leadership.

Contributor

@scottmwillis wrote:

I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully, there is a backup somewhere that they can restore. They owe you for this. You need to raise a stink with leadership.

I have saved emails from deceased family members that mean the world to me.  To know that they might be gone forever, I just can't at this point....and through no fault of my own.....

Frequent Visitor

I sent an email to ecare@comcast.net and to Karinshak's address, as suggested earlier in the thread.  I did get a call back yesterday, and this e-mail today:

Hello Mr. _____,

My name is Ciera with the Office of Tom Karinshak and I will be addressing your concerns today. I understand that you have been having an issue with your emails, like many other customers. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that this experience has caused you. I would feel the same if I were in your position.

I apologize that the Agent you worked with previously was unaware of the ongoing missing email issue. I do show that this issue was reported to our Technicians the morning of  February 15, 2019. This is a national outage, and our Technicians are investigating the cause, and working diligently on a resolution. The ticket for the outage shows the outage should be resolved today, however, this is just an estimate, and it is not guaranteed to be resolved today.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please respond back directly to this email. I appreciate you reaching out to the Office of Tom Karinshak. Thank you for being part of the Comcast family!

Sincerely,

Ciera H.

Office of Tom Karinshak

Contributor

Sounds like they are patting you on the head in the hopes that you go away.

Contributor

@rcrocombe wrote:

I sent an email to ecare@comcast.net and to Karinshak's address, as suggested earlier in the thread.  I did get a call back yesterday, and this e-mail today:

Hello Mr. _____,

My name is Ciera with the Office of Tom Karinshak and I will be addressing your concerns today. I understand that you have been having an issue with your emails, like many other customers. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that this experience has caused you. I would feel the same if I were in your position.

I apologize that the Agent you worked with previously was unaware of the ongoing missing email issue. I do show that this issue was reported to our Technicians the morning of  February 15, 2019. This is a national outage, and our Technicians are investigating the cause, and working diligently on a resolution. The ticket for the outage shows the outage should be resolved today, however, this is just an estimate, and it is not guaranteed to be resolved today.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please respond back directly to this email. I appreciate you reaching out to the Office of Tom Karinshak. Thank you for being part of the Comcast family!

Sincerely,

Ciera H.

Office of Tom Karinshak

Interesting email.  The CSR that I spoke with today asked me how I knew about other people having probems, because she told me that there weren't any and whatever the prior CSR's said to me was wrong.  I told her to check out the Comcast forums.  lol

Contributor

Well, I got something similar in response but not quite the same:

Dear_______,

My name is Daniel with the Office of tom Karinshak. Thank you for taking
the time to reach out to us. I understand that you would to provide
feedback in regards to a recent issues with your email. I do apologize
for the inconvenience of the matter. I will be happy to assist you
today.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. I do apologize
for the inconvenience. Without feedback such as yours, we would never
know what is working and what is not, how we are doing and what needs
fixing. We appreciate you concerns and take them very seriously. Thank
you for providing that information.

In order to assist you further, I do need to verify the account for
security. Please provide the following:

Account number:
Last 4 of the SSN on the account:

Once this is verified, I can be able to assist you further. If feedback
was all you wanted to provide, nothing further is required.

Don't forget about Xfinity MyAccount App. The hassle-free way to manage
your XFINITY account anywhere, anytime ? with no call needed. It's easy
and fast to service outages, troubleshoot or refresh your equipment,
view and pay your bill, check out your tech's ETA time and update your
account whenever and wherever you want. You can also request a call from
technical or billing so you don't have to call us! I use it all the time
and love it.

Glad to be of assistance today. We thank you for choosing Comcast and
have a great day.

Sincerely,

Daniel E.
Office of Tom Karinshak

Contributor

@dwhite021329 wrote:

Well, I got something similar in response but not quite the same:

Dear_______,

My name is Daniel with the Office of tom Karinshak. Thank you for taking
the time to reach out to us. I understand that you would to provide
feedback in regards to a recent issues with your email. I do apologize
for the inconvenience of the matter. I will be happy to assist you
today.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. I do apologize
for the inconvenience. Without feedback such as yours, we would never
know what is working and what is not, how we are doing and what needs
fixing. We appreciate you concerns and take them very seriously. Thank
you for providing that information.

In order to assist you further, I do need to verify the account for
security. Please provide the following:

Account number:
Last 4 of the SSN on the account:

Once this is verified, I can be able to assist you further. If feedback
was all you wanted to provide, nothing further is required.

Don't forget about Xfinity MyAccount App. The hassle-free way to manage
your XFINITY account anywhere, anytime ? with no call needed. It's easy
and fast to service outages, troubleshoot or refresh your equipment,
view and pay your bill, check out your tech's ETA time and update your
account whenever and wherever you want. You can also request a call from
technical or billing so you don't have to call us! I use it all the time
and love it.

Glad to be of assistance today. We thank you for choosing Comcast and
have a great day.

Sincerely,

Daniel E.
Office of Tom Karinshak

I received mine from Frank today.  He asked if my issues have been resolved.  The reply was a big fat NO! They also thanked me for being a loyal customer since 1990. That might be changing. 

Contributor

I wasn't happy with the first response so I followed up and here is the last response:

Dear Ms.,

Thank you for your response.

This issue did not affect company wide and was a small percentage of
customers that were affected. It was an issue on Comcast side, not an
attack or intrusion from the outside.

We appreciate your feedback Ms. ______.

Thank you for choosing Comcast and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Daniel E.
Office of Tom Karinshak

Looks like I got brushed off...

Frequent Visitor

My missing email reappeared sometime in the last 2 hours.  I was supposed to get an email and text message when it was resolved, but I haven't received either.

Best of luck to those still having problems. 

Contributor

I sent a 3rd follow up to the second response asking what does Comcast consider to be a small amount and still pushing on the lack of proactive communication. I was pretty much told not to respond anymore, to go back onto the site where I started to leave feedback. See below.

Dear Ms. ____,

I am unable to provide you that information.

We appreciate your feedback at this time Ms. White. If you wish to continue to provide us feedback, you can provide feedback simply by clicking on “Feedback” located on the bottom right-hand side of any page on www.XFINITY.com to submit your feedback. All our customer feedback is utilized to determine what areas require more attention. We are grateful for your close attention to this matter. We are avid about ensuring you receive a superior customer care you deserve.

Sincerely,

Daniel E.
Office of Tom Karinshak

Anyway, I hope everyone is fully restored soon.
Contributor

@dwhite021329 wrote:
I sent a 3rd follow up to the second response asking what does Comcast consider to be a small amount and still pushing on the lack of proactive communication. I was pretty much told not to respond anymore, to go back onto the site where I started to leave feedback. See below.

Dear Ms. ____,

I am unable to provide you that information.

We appreciate your feedback at this time Ms. White. If you wish to continue to provide us feedback, you can provide feedback simply by clicking on “Feedback” located on the bottom right-hand side of any page on www.XFINITY.com to submit your feedback. All our customer feedback is utilized to determine what areas require more attention. We are grateful for your close attention to this matter. We are avid about ensuring you receive a superior customer care you deserve.

Sincerely,

Daniel E.
Office of Tom Karinshak

Anyway, I hope everyone is fully restored soon.

Still nothing changing on my end.  I guess I have two more days to wait since my case was escalted per the email that I received from Tom's spokesman.  A friend gave me this information and I intend on sending a letter and calling if nothing changes:  Brian L. Roberts, 1701 JFK Blvd, Comcast Center, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (send letter to his attention).  Comcast's executive service team's number is: 888-966-7794.  I will not stop until I get all of my emails back or compensation of some sort. 

Contributor

This was my most recent email from Tom's office:

Thank you for responding to my message and providing additional
information on the issues. After researching this matter further, I can
confirm that the issues with XFINITY Email has not been fully resolved
as we still have customers with missing email folders. At this time I do
not have an estimated resolution time for this outage.

We certainly appreciate the feedback you have provided us regarding your
experience as it helps us identify our areas of opportunity and make
changes where needed. If you have any other questions or concerns,
please feel free to respond to this message for assistance. We
appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Frank C.
Office of Tom Karinshak

My reply:  Thank you again for the email, but I will not let up with Comcast until all of my emails have been restored or some sort of compensation has been offered due to the many IMPORTANT emails that might be forever gone. 

I hope they know that I mean business. 

Frequent Visitor

It's really no mystery why compnies (e.g., Wells Fargo, Bank of America) are disliked.  So why do companies persist with behaviors that make them disliked, instead of fixing them?  

Bad reputation: America’s Top 20 most-hated companies

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/02/01/bad-reputation-americas-top-20-most-hated-c...

A company can live or die by its reputation.

Year after year, the vast majority of familiar companies and brands maintain — or build — their bond with the American consumer by offering dependable products and services and by cultivating a clean image.

Maintaining the public’s confidence is not a foregone conclusion. A single misstep — such as a price hike or tone-deaf tweet — can be enough to keep corporate public relations departments scrambling.

In other cases, corporate blunders rise above the threshold of an honest mistake. Public perceptions of an internal scandal, a toxic work environment, lax security, or unethical business practices can be enough to garner disdain from a large segment of American consumers — and in recent months there was no shortage of such revelations in the business world.

Reviewing a range of information, including major news events from the last year, customer survey results from the American Customer Satisfaction Index, employee reviews on Glassdoor, as well as our own annual customer satisfaction survey, 24/7 Wall St. identified America’s most hated companies.

15. Comcast

The industries in which Comcast works – internet service, subscription television service, and fixed-line telephone service – are hotbeds for customer dissatisfaction. Yet Comcast does even worse than its competitors. On the American Customer Satisfaction Index, consumers rate Comcast just 60 out of 100 for its internet service, 58 out of 100 for its subscription television service, and 65 out of 100 for its fixed-line telephone service — lower than the industry averages of 64, 64, and 70, respectively.

Comcast’s poor standing is not a recent development. The company was rated America’s most hated last year, based on similar metrics. Some 47% of customers who responded to 24/7 Wall St. and Zogby’s customer satisfaction survey reported a negative experience with the company – the largest share among all companies considered. The company was forced to pay a $2.3 million fine in 2016 over allegations that it charged customers for unauthorized services and equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Monopoly is an advantage - until competition knocks at the door.

Contributor

Well, here is the latest.  Now they cannot assure that all of my folders that THEY LOST will be restored:

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. My name is Brooke and I will be assisting you as Frank is out of the office today. As a consumer myself I absolutely understand your frustrations. Please know our expert technicians are still working diligently on this issue as it is affecting many of our customers. While we are doing everything within our power to resolve this as quickly as possible, we cannot guarantee that all email folders are able to be restored.

Thank you for your understanding and your patience while we work to get this resolved. If you have any additional questions or concerns outside of this matter, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Brooke F.

Office of Tom Karinshak

Administrator

All,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced with your comcast.net email service. The error you were experiencing has been identified and resolved. Please open a new thread if you need any additional assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

For everybody on this thread - do you have all your e-mails back?  (I do, and it would be nice to know that everybody else is OK as well!)

Frequent Visitor

Folder structure has been restored with some duplicated folder folder names appended wih "Recovered", as well as, the original folder. Where there are recovered duplicates, the original folder in inaccessible (i.e. you can move email to it). 

There has been no communiction regarding the restore activity - is it as good as it gets, are they still working on it? 

Contributor

I did plus very old ones that I deleted years ago.
Frequent Visitor

@cmc61664 wrote:
I did plus very old ones that I deleted years ago.

@cmc61664 So glad to hear you got all your emails back.

To the poster asking who did / didn't get their emails back....it seems all of mine were restored.

Frequent Visitor

mine as well , from now on they are autoforwarded to another email as backup. this was scary