Community Forum

email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

Contributor

Re: email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

I didn't check until this morning but everything is back for me.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for all the updates. You can include northern DE in the outage as well. Same thing happening here - primary email wiped out, everyone else's is still intact. Customer service couldn't advise on how I can back my emails up in the future. Did receive my $10 credit, though. Not that that will make a difference if I lose all the files. 

Frequent Visitor

@scottmwillis wrote:

Northern NJ here. Still no change. It is interesting that this is only affecting one of my Comcast email accounts.

Curious if anyone esle is seeing archive folders when they access email through the Xfinity site. That gives me some comfort that the email history is still out there.

And yes, it is very frustrating when the agents seem to be kept in the dark about this incident. I feel sorry for them. They can only work with the information they are provided. And you know that if this was an issue internal to Comcast that IT would be keeping their customers updated or getting reamed out for not doing so.

How do you access the archived folders? I'm logged in through their site and I don't see those. Nor do I have any folders placed by comcast.  Customer service tried resetting my email last night to no avail. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I've lost everything but there are some messages stored locally on phone and tablet apps. If you use those devices to access Comcast mail app through a browser, all folders are missing. 

Maybe the bigger question is whether to lock down credit and account access until we know if this failure is the result of a crash or hack. 

Contributor

fc579,

When I go into my email through the Xfinity site, the archives appear under the "My Folders" section. They appear as "recovered lost folder" for each of the standard folders in my email (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Sent, Trash). Folders that I have created appear as they always have. And they all appear to have the emails they had before the incident occurred.

The problem is that it seems that this issue is manifesting itself in multiple ways for different customers. So what I see and experience may not be the same as what you are seeing and experiencing. I suspect that does make it harder from an incident resolution perspective.

Frequent Visitor

@scottmwillis wrote:

fc579,

When I go into my email through the Xfinity site, the archives appear under the "My Folders" section. They appear as "recovered lost folder" for each of the standard folders in my email (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, Sent, Trash). Folders that I have created appear as they always have. And they all appear to have the emails they had before the incident occurred.

The problem is that it seems that this issue is manifesting itself in multiple ways for different customers. So what I see and experience may not be the same as what you are seeing and experiencing. I suspect that does make it harder from an incident resolution perspective.

Thanks for the reply - like you said, everyone's case seems to be different. Mine are definitely not there. Trying to stay patient!

Contributor

Still nothing for me. They will be receiving another call.
Frequent Visitor

Still Nothing

Same here, don't know if it was a crash or hack but contacting Comcast is a waste. They still have a generic message on their chat page but no details. 

XFINITY Chat

We are currently experiencing an issue with email access in your area. Our technicians are aware of the issue and are working as quickly as possible to restore your service. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Still Nothing

They don't want customers calling and asking for a credit. But eveyone impacted shouild be doing that.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Still Nothing

Calling was a waste - no clue or pretended to be clueless. Received a follow-up phone message to contact 800-266-2278 if the issue was not resolved but that number just tries to sell more stuff. Had someone on Chat last night but, of course, they knew nothing of the problem. Their connection either crashed or they disconnected. 

Regular Visitor

I just spoke with Comcast.  The agent I spoke with got in touch with "Advanced Repair" for an update.  They said they expect to have it resolved today.  They are giving me an adjsutment of $25.

BTW, they also said email is a "free" service included with the internet service that I pay for.  Very interesting.

Frequent Visitor

Free like gmail or Yahoo? Maybe the ads pay for it. 

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, they can restore the structure and I'll find an email app that mirrors everything locally. 

New Poster

Some are on my phone, but essentially everything dated before 2/14 is gone.  What's up?

@dwhite021329 wrote:

Same here, except all are still on my phone. What's up Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

My phone and tablet store some emails locally and the trash folder on my tablet hasn't been actually deleted - still there until I manually dump them.  Didn't want to chance losing anything by deleting from the server using mobile.

All the emails and folders that disappeared from Comcast online are the mystery.  Don't know if it was a hack or crash. 

Frequent Visitor

I had everything on my phone, seached for an email address before i realized there was a problem, and it refreshed and dumped everything. Earlier this morning CS said it was a server issue, but they couldn't say when it'd be fixed.
Frequent Visitor

Haven't seen Virginia mentioned in the list of places affected, but there is at least 1 person in the state with this problem.

In a chat this morning around 8 am, I was told it would be fixed within 24 hours.

Despite the problems, Xfinity was able to send me an email notice that my next month's bill is available for viewing.  Good to see that their critical systems are working fine.

Frequent Visitor

I lost my emails from all my folders about the same time. They rep appeared in:

INBOX-recovered-lost-folder
Drafts-recovered-lost-folder
Junk-recovered-lost-folder
Etc.

I also got strange phone calls from Russia on my iPhone. A coincidence?
Contributor

@Mah1968 wrote:
I lost my emails from all my folders about the same time. They rep appeared in:

INBOX-recovered-lost-folder
Drafts-recovered-lost-folder
Junk-recovered-lost-folder
Etc.

I also got strange phone calls from Russia on my iPhone. A coincidence?

I still have nothing.  Five more hours until midnight and another call to Comcast.....

Frequent Visitor

I went on the chat line and the person there clearly knew nothing about it.  So I pointed him to this forum.  The response was 'Have I checked my spam folder, etc.'

Pretty useless customer support!

Contributor

@rcrocombe wrote:

I went on the chat line and the person there clearly knew nothing about it.  So I pointed him to this forum.  The response was 'Have I checked my spam folder, etc.'

Pretty useless customer support!

Of course we have checked our spam folder.  We have checked EVERY FOLDER!!!  I basically had the same issue with CS - just telling me to be patient and everything will be fine.  I'm beginning to give up hope at this point. 

Frequent Visitor

My missing emails came back overnight. Good luck to  you.

Contributor

Congrats pratty. Nothing here yet.

Contributor

Everything restored. Hope this is true for all.
New Poster

So all of my emails are still gone. I contacted support on Friday evening and the rep was unabe to fix the issue (not shocked) and took my number and said Tier 2 support would call me within 24 hours. Never got a call. I contacted support again this morning and was told to wait a few more hours, etc. I don't hold out a great deal of hope here.

I understand stuff happens, but the lask of communication is what's  unforgivable in my mind.

Many hundreds of important emails have vanished. Very frustrating.

Has anyone actually had their emails recovered from this?

Frequent Visitor

Still nothing here. Happy for those who had everything restored. Agree that the lack of communication is a major problem.
Frequent Visitor

Yes many folks have had their missing emails restored. But it has taken an awful long time. And the lack of communication by Comcast has made the situation even worse. So hang it there.

Frequent Visitor

While looking through the Comcast site last night, I came across an update from Tom Karinshak, the Exec VP of Customer Service. It was an letter written in August that discussed all the upgrades, etc. they have put in place. After the letter, it gave the opportunity to email Tom. So I did. I told him about the situation, and the lack of communication and reassurance was horrible. I discussed the fact that the agents knew nothing of what was going on. That one agent recommended using iCloud (a competitor) to back up your emails. That this is NOT in fact a free service - we pay dearly each month for not cutting the cable cord. That for being a long, long-time LOYAL customer I, and others, deserve better than this. We'll see if I get a response.

Please take a moment and log into your account online. If you go to the search bar and type in Tom's name, the letter is the first search result. Maybe feedback from all of us will help affect change.
New Poster

Looks like all of mine have just reappeared. So if you are still missing yours, there is still hope.

I'll echo what others here have said, that the lack of information is not forgivable. I have been a Comcast internet customer for 15 or more years, and in general have found the internet and TV service to be excellent really. Tjis was very frustrating. A simple notice on the support page acknowledging that there are still issues and that they are being worked on would have made this whole thing far less troublesome. Or, just send everyone a mass email. Or something, anything (they ARE a communications services company, after all) so that one is not left wondering where things stand.

Thanks fc579 for thinking to track down the email for Tom Karinshak, I will be sending my thoughts to him for whatever that may be worth. My email may accomplish nothing, but if customers do not speak up then it's guranteed that nothing will change.

Contributor

Can anyone tell me if you have been able to send outbound emails to non-Comcast accounts during all of this? I have tried but am not sure they wwent through. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

I have received emails and have been able to send as well. Early Friday emails were not received by people who I sent them to.
Frequent Visitor

Still no joy here.  Chat rep said it would be fixed by end of day.  That's what they said yesterday, and there were two estimates before that.

New Poster

Yes, all of my emails from a secondary account are missing.  Unfortunately this is one of my most important email accounts.  Still no emails as of the 2/17

Frequent Visitor

In can send and receive e-mails from my Comcast account.  But still no joy on restoring all the lost e-mails.  I was promised 'escalation' and a 'call back' last night, but haven't heard anything yet....

Frequent Visitor

As of this morning my messages are back. I am in central NJ

Frequent Visitor

Here's a good one...I have no emails and they just sent me an email saying my mailbox is full and I need to delete some emails in order to send or receive more. ?!? Hopefully it's progress???
Frequent Visitor

There is hope -- all my emails were just restored. Hopefully everyone else's will be soon too!!

New Poster

My emails are not back......so i hope comcast is still resolving the issue

Frequent Visitor

I have a feeling that a technician in Elbonia is having to drag-and-drop messages to fix this on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis.  How else could this take over 2 days?

Frequent Visitor

Well, I had a call back from Comcast, and they now say that it should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon (!), and that it's a server problem, not a security breach.  I pointed out that they should have been, and still need to be, much more proactive in their communications, both internally and externally.

BTW, I wasn't offered any compensation.

Frequent Visitor

Empty mailbox is full... that's funny. Looks like they're restoring folders, now. No explanation why there are 'foldername' and 'foldername recovered' for each one restored or how far along they are. Probably need some manual cleanup when all is said and done.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah they won't offer it to you. You need to ask for it.

Regular Visitor

Looks like my emails came back today also. 

I've spoken with Tom Karinshak in the past on a different issue and he seemed responsive at the time.  I agree that it's ironic that Comcast is one of the nation's leading communications companies with no aparent ability to communicate with their impacted clients regarding this issue. It's really appalling.  I'm going to learn from this and create a .PST archive in Outlook so at least I'll have my own archive and won't have to rely as much on this service.

Did anyone get an explaination as to why this occurred in the first place?

Contributor

@rcrocombe wrote:

Well, I had a call back from Comcast, and they now say that it should be fixed by tomorrow afternoon (!), and that it's a server problem, not a security breach.  I pointed out that they should have been, and still need to be, much more proactive in their communications, both internally and externally.

I just spent one hour and four minutes on hold to talk to a CSR. I was told to give it a full 72 hours (which would be later today for me).  I was also told that there is no guarantee from Comcast that they will be able to restore all of my missing emails/folders! NO GUARANTEE when it was their fault in the first time.  I am beyond livid at this point.  I asked for the phone number of a "higher up" and was refused the number.  For a service that I pay for.  

Contributor

@cmc61664 wrote:

@rcrocombe wrote:

I just spent one hour and four minutes on hold to talk to a CSR. I was told to give it a full 72 hours (which would be later today for me).  I was also told that there is no guarantee from Comcast that they will be able to restore all of my missing emails/folders! NO GUARANTEE when it was their fault in the first time.  I am beyond livid at this point.  I asked for the phone number of a "higher up" and was refused the number.  For a service that I pay for.  

You can try emailing the top brass. Go to corporate.comcast.com and find the leaders. Their email naming convention is first name_last name@comcast.com.

Contributor

@scottmwillis wrote:

@cmc61664 wrote:

@rcrocombe wrote:

You can try emailing the top brass. Go to corporate.comcast.com and find the leaders. Their email naming convention is first name_last name@comcast.com.

If nothing has changed by tomorrow or if I am told that my emails are lost forever, that is exactly what I will be doing. Thank you very much for the information. 

Frequent Visitor

Some progress - the files and folders have been restored when viewed using the Xfinity site on a PC, and also on an iPhone.  However, they are not visible using Outlook or Windows Mail (and they were before all this started).  I was going to follow the suggestion of backing it all up to a .pst file in Outlook.  Ah well, I'll wait a little longer and see if anythinmg changes.

Frequent Visitor

It looks like empty folders are being restored with the conten in a "Recovered" folder. Anyone know if we're waiting on a process to finish or instructions on how to proceed? It doesn't look like inbox contents will be restored. 

Frequent Visitor

All of my emails seem to be restored as they were, with no "restored folder." 

I had reached out to Tom Karinshak last night thru the xfinity site, and have just received an email from someone in his office. My issue has been escalated to the Regional Executive Team, and someone should be contacting me within 24 hrs. Granted, my emails are back now, but it will be good to talk to someone to find out what happened.

If you haven't already done so, reach out to Tom Karinshak -- he's the exec vp of CS. Maybe it will help.

Frequent Visitor

In Outlook, I had to manually restore all of the subfolders, using 'Folders/IMAP folders' and that dialog box.  So now I have a pretty good .pst file backup!

Frequent Visitor

I already heard from Tom's office -- the woman I spoke with was very nice and understood the frustrations. It was her first day back in the office since Tuesday, so she hadn't heard of the problem yet. She assured me she'd tell the Exec Team tomorrow about what was going on. Good luck to everyone still waiting.