Community Forum

email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

Contributor

email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

All my IMAP emails are gone.  Have only 5 that were received last night.

Contributor

Re: email has disappeared--2/15/19 5:00AM

Same here, except all are still on my phone. What's up Comcast?

Contributor

My understanding of IMAP is that all emails are retained on Comcast/Xfinity servers so that they can be accessed from multiple devices.  The fact that all the emails disppeared seems to confiem that Comcast has server issues.  I think this started a week ago (at least for me).  I hope that they did not lose the hundreds of my emails that were stored by Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Same here. I only show 4 emails in my inbox since 4:33 this AM. All others are gone. No other folders appear to be affected. Same on my phone.

New Poster

My email also dissapeared on my PC and my phone. What is Comcast doing?

Regular Visitor

All email disappeared from my phone and PC around 12:30AM.

Contributor

Same situation here.  Email won't load on PC or phone.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem, I've lost email and folders only some folders are showing up.  What's up Xfinity?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

99% of my e-mails have disappeared, no matter what device (PC, phone) I try to access my account.

Regular Visitor

Same here. Started shortly after midnight. Just spent 45 minutes on customer support chat with Xfinity. Told "have run another diagnostic test on emails and I’ve verified that our web developers are  performing some maintenance work with our email server. We are making improvements to the server that will enhance your services. We apologize for the inconvenience. This maintenance work led to the delay in receiving new emails across web and mobile platforms that could range from few minutes to hours. We do not expect the update to take very long. Various steps are already taken to complete the enhancement right away."  I asked about compensation for loss of service. They offered $10.

Frequent Visitor

I normally use Firefox but discovered that I could get to webmail from MS Edge (and the phone app was fine).  At that point, I still couldn't see it with Firefox but then realized that since I have never used Edge before (and don't plan to use it), I was actually logging into Xfinity from that browser for the first time.  So I decided to logout of my Firefox session and log back in and the mail appeared.

Contributor

Seriously? They are performing maintenance to enhance our experience? No heads up? $10? That's rich.

I can access more on my phone than desktop. My folders were available on my phone, now they are not. I am getting new emails now. But everything else...gone.
Contributor

That is interesting. I stopped using Firefox and went back to Edge and have been using Edge for awhile. Mine is the opposite of yours.
Frequent Visitor

It may have been coincidental timing that I am seeing my webmail again based on what an earlier poster mentioned about the "enhancements" and maintenance causing the issues.  Since "enhancements" would probably be to an individual's mailbox, then this sort of thing would need to slowly propagate across millions of mailboxes!

Contributor

We have two primary email accounts. For one, all appears to be fine on my phone, laptop and the Xfinity sie. For the other, all old emails in the inbox are missing on my laptop email app and the Xfinity site. My phone appears to be all good for both accounts. Almost the exact issue as occurred last week.

Frequent Visitor

What an absurd answer.  I lost everything before about 2am.  This is not new mail but all of the historical mail and folders with saved info.

Frequent Visitor

I thought it was just me or i was hacked by a virus..all my thousands of emails in my inbox and my folders are gone. is this a known issue..tech support doesn't seem to have a clue, im going to start autoforwarding to another email account just in case from now on.

Contributor

Email Update as of 11:00AM

Comcast/xfinity acknowledges they have a serious problem and lots of upset customers.  They do not know (at least the tech that I spoke to does not know) when the issue will be resolved.  I asked specifically if all the historic emails, and all the folders and subfolders will be restored upon resolution of the issue.  I was told they would be. They said they would call me when problem is fixed.  If possible I will post then.  Just trying to share status info.

Contributor

Thanks for the update. 

Frequent Visitor

thanks for your post at least I feel I am not alone with this issue never seen something like this before.

New Poster

I had lost every email in one of my accounts and found them in a new folder under that account, apparently created by Comcast, called "INBOX-recovered-lost-folder..."

Contributor

I found similar Recover folders with all my emails that were mistakenly deleted
Regular Visitor

I just spoke with Comcast.  Apparently this impacts 73% of their residential and business clients nationwide !!

Regular Contributor

This is a bit unnerving. Is there an update on the Xfinity website somewhere? 73% is a large area. What areas of the country? 😕

Frequent Visitor

Wow. Thanks for that update. Surprise that comcast has not been more proactive and pushing out updates to their customers.
Regular Visitor

They only said "nationwide".  Apparently area doesn't matter, because it only impacts one of my comcast accounts.

Frequent Visitor

4pm and no change - any updates from Comcast or anybody else on this thread?

Frequent Visitor

i still have nothing butnew emails was told in a chat with support that estimated fix was about an 3 and half hour window. this was about hour ago.
Regular Visitor

Mine returned to both PC and phone at around 12:30pm today after approx 12-hour outage. All emails appear to have been recovered. However, some new emails are randomly ending up in junk folder despite having successfully received from these senders for years. This has been happening for at least a couple of weeks. No explanation from Comcast.
Regular Visitor

i have over 40,000 missing emails as of 2:36 am this morning. Should I contact Comcast or should I just assume it will be resolved based on what some of you have found out? It sounds like they should reappear at some point, yes?

Contributor

Nothing has changed on my end other than my "unwanted" folder showing back up (that is a Comcast folder). I'm getting new emails but none of my other folders have been replaced. This only affects my primary email. My secondary email is intact, it has it's one folder. I sure hope my archived folders return. It's been over 12 hours for me.

Frequent Visitor

comcast suppor claims servers are down and will be back up by end of today. gave me 10 dollar credit....said this is known issue..
Frequent Visitor

I also got the $10 after first getting a $6.59 refund. Also told to expect system wide resolution in 2 hours. Need to log out and back in to Comcast Mail.

Also told them they need to do a better job of comunication with customers on scope of problem and expected resolutiion. Not saying anything does not cut it.

Frequent Visitor

just curious when they told you 2hours resolution..are we past it yet?
Regular Contributor

Based on what I read on isitdownrightnow.com and downdetector.com the problem is in about a dozen states. You can tweet Comcast cares and they’ll reply and you can follow outage.report on twitter for all the outages worldwide of everything if you’re interested.

Frequent Visitor

In the last 30 minutes. I am expecting by 10PM Lowell MA  time. If that was an accurate estimate.

Contributor

I lost the majority of  my saved folders.  I also had two folders with that name but they were empty.  Called Comcast, tried to do a remote start which didn't do anything.  Was told they would look in to it further. 

Frequent Visitor

10:30 pm and still the same.....

Frequent Visitor

anybody get any old emails back on this thread..?
Contributor

Nothing yet..........

@zilla64 wrote:
anybody get any old emails back on this thread..?

Frequent Visitor

I still don't have my emails back as of 5:00AM and I am not happy. I had some important emails in my inbox that I need to respond to.

Frequent Visitor

as of 630 all my emails and folders have returned. amazing how bad they communicated this. also scary the important stuff i would be missing. from now on im auto forwarding to my other email address
Frequent Visitor

Happy to hear that for  you. I am again on chat with support, with no ETA to resolution. Got to love it. NOT.

Contributor

Still no resolution here and no communication from Comcast. On the web there are archive folders that appear which seem to have all of my old emails (all new ones do appear in  my Inbox).

Contributor

I am in western PA.  As of 8:00 AM on 2/16, still no emails older than 2/15/19.  Folder structure still missing.  Have a support call scheduled for 9:00 am EST.  It would be intersting to know the gepraphic location of all posters for this thread; and to what level their sevice has been restored.  Thanks and good luck to all.

Frequent Visitor

Eastern MA. No resolution as of 8:00AM. Two calls into support. Last one resulting in an escalation of my case, what ever that means. Please post an update after your call.

Regular Contributor

@z34jcm wrote:

I am in western PA.  As of 8:00 AM on 2/16, still no emails older than 2/15/19.  Folder structure still missing.  Have a support call scheduled for 9:00 am EST.  It would be intersting to know the gepraphic location of all posters for this thread; and to what level their sevice has been restored.  Thanks and good luck to all.

I’m in Western PA also about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. My email is fine on web, mac, iPhone and iPad. We’ve had intermittent internet outages. We have the B86 router with the triple play and home security. A couple weeks ago I had password issues so my server was synced by a tech then I changed my password again and new router installed and was updated with Xfi advanced security. I have no idea if that’s why I’m not affected. Just thought I’d mention it. Good luck everybody. I hope your problems are over soon. I can only hope the reason for all this is for the purpose of improvements. 

Frequent Visitor

Boston, MA area.  Still no change - receiving new e-mails, but all the older ones have disappeared.

Contributor

Northern NJ here. Still no change. It is interesting that this is only affecting one of my Comcast email accounts.

Curious if anyone esle is seeing archive folders when they access email through the Xfinity site. That gives me some comfort that the email history is still out there.

And yes, it is very frustrating when the agents seem to be kept in the dark about this incident. I feel sorry for them. They can only work with the information they are provided. And you know that if this was an issue internal to Comcast that IT would be keeping their customers updated or getting reamed out for not doing so.

Contributor

Just finished my support call from Comcast.  Nothing new to report....they are working on the problem, but cannot comment on expected resolution time.  It is ironic that my wife's email history and folders remain intact, while mine (the primary account email) is messed up.  Our PC's are in the same room and use the same router to connect.  I was again assured that all past emails, as well as the customer's folder structure, will be in place when the system is fixed.  I asked about folders that I set up today....what will hapen to them?  Was told they will be there upon resolution.  I have my doubts.  It appears from the responses to my post about geographic locations; MA, NJ, and PA are still impacted.  Thanks to all for sharing info.