Community Forum

email audio notification

Contributor

email audio notification

I'm a comcast.net email user and need to know if there is a way to get the desktop version of my email to give an audio notification when new emails arrive. I have an audio notification on my smartphone with Xfinity connect, but no notification on the desktop at all, anything I can do here? Thanks, Ken (I'm on a Mac)

Expert

Re: email audio notification

Are you using only a browser and the webmail interface to access the email?  If so, there is no provision in the webmail for sound alerts.  However, if you are using Mac Mail, that has the ability to generate quite a range of sounds for an alert for incoming emails.  So are you using Mac Mail or some other desktop client like Thunderbird?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Using a Mac desktop, Chrome web browser, and my Xfinity comcast.net email I don't know what else I can say but I getting audio notification on my smartphone but not on my desktop
Expert

@trkrdude4501 wrote:
Using a Mac desktop, Chrome web browser, and my Xfinity comcast.net email I don't know what else I can say but I getting audio notification on my smartphone but not on my desktop

That's because the Mail app in iOS (if you're using it) has the ability to generate a sound alert.  The webmail by itself does not have that.  So on the desktop, you would need to use Mac Mail to get a sound effect, or maybe some other client like Thunderbird etc.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Okay, thank you for the help maybe sometime down the road there might be something I can use thanks again
Expert

@trkrdude4501 wrote:
Okay, thank you for the help maybe sometime down the road there might be something I can use thanks again

OK, but in case you are not aware-----you have Mac Mail on your Mac.  It's part of the package of apps/programs that come with a Mac.  The icon for it is a postage stamp.  Click on Launchpad in the Dock and you will see it in the top row.

Contributor

Yes I did see that, I do have it on my Mac but and not using it at this time. We'll have to see how I can work it in conjunction with Comcast mail thank you for all your help
New Poster

@Latoque wrote:

Are you using only a browser and the webmail interface to access the email?  If so, there is no provision in the webmail for sound alerts.  However, if you are using Mac Mail, that has the ability to generate quite a range of sounds for an alert for incoming emails.  So are you using Mac Mail or some other desktop client like Thunderbird?

I was also searching for the ability to receive an audible alert when I receive new email. I am using the web based email but I am on a PC not a MAC.  Is there a workaround solution? Is there any reason why audible alerts are not an option in the settings,if you know?

Expert

@TerriLynn614 wrote:

@Latoque wrote:

I was also searching for the ability to receive an audible alert when I receive new email. I am using the web based email but I am on a PC not a MAC.  Is there a workaround solution? Is there any reason why audible alerts are not an option in the settings,if you know?

I'm not sure why the new format doesn't have this function, but that's the way it is.  The old format had it, but it wasn't very popular as it required the use of a particular audio program you had to download   If you are running Windows 10, the Mail app that comes bundled with it does have sound capability.  So all you would need to do is enable the account in that.  You would then need to go into the settings for Mail and enable the sound alerts.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 8.1 so no luck. Years and many Windows ago I thought Comcast's(or whatever their name was back then) email did have a sound notification when the email was received. Oh well. Thanks again.

Expert

@TerriLynn614 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 8.1 so no luck. Years and many Windows ago I thought Comcast's(or whatever their name was back then) email did have a sound notification when the email was received. Oh well. Thanks again.

Windows 8.1 has the same Mail app that's in 10, only the one in Windows 10 will support POP3 or IMAP.  The earlier version in 8.1 (I think) will only use IMAP.  See here-------------------

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-8/how-to-set-up-an-account-in-mail-in-wi...

New Poster

Thank you for the information.