Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

email and spam

New Poster

email and spam

My husband and I seem to be receiving an extra ordinary amount of SPAM or junk emails - more than we have ever received before.  How do I get these types of emails to go right into my SPAM email box?  Seems senseless to have a SPAM box when nothing is ever directed there?  I never had this issue with other email suppliers.  HELP!!

Expert

Re: email and spam

@dpwales wrote:

My husband and I seem to be receiving an extra ordinary amount of SPAM or junk emails - more than we have ever received before.  How do I get these types of emails to go right into my SPAM email box?  Seems senseless to have a SPAM box when nothing is ever directed there?  I never had this issue with other email suppliers.  HELP!!

Are you reporting these emails as spam?  It takes a while to train Comcast's filters to catch them, so you have to be persistent.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Bronze Problem Solver

Your spam problem is just on a bad part of a cycle.  Spam filters learn when you report spam, spammers learn how to get around them, spam filters learn again.  Over and over, on and on, cycles without end.

Some things you can do:  guard your main (most used) email address, use a "throwaway" address (Comcast lets you have six addresses, so just make one up and use it on "questionable" registrations.) 

My "main" email address was badly chosen way back when I first got Comcast.  It's pretty darned easy for the spam harvesting machines to figure out. What can I say;  high speed internet was new then, and we just didn't know any better. I still use it as the main one because of elderly parents, relatives and other friends. I'd much rather delete the few spam that actually get through the filters than try to talk them through a address book change! ("Hey, I got to messing around in something called 'the registry', and now my computer isn't working.  Can you fix it, even though you're living 958 miles away??"  Bless their hearts, I really wish I were that fearless!) 

We do have a couple of "private" email addresses (just so we can order each other gifts without the other one knowing about it!) that after 10+ years have never had the first piece of spam.

New Poster

How do I do this?  In other email servers there is actually a clearly defined choice.  I have had Comcast email for over 10 years and the past 9 months have been herendous with junk emails.  I keep pestering my husband to drop it, but he won't. 

Help me understand how to report the SPAM and how to block these emails from my inbox.  I have tried the unsubscribe, with no success.

New Poster

My solution - don't use Comcast email.  Never had these issues with other email servers.  With Comcast for over 10 years and my husband won't leave. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@dpwales wrote:

How do I do this?  In other email servers there is actually a clearly defined choice.  I have had Comcast email for over 10 years and the past 9 months have been herendous with junk emails.  I keep pestering my husband to drop it, but he won't. 

Help me understand how to report the SPAM and how to block these emails from my inbox.  I have tried the unsubscribe, with no success.

Here you go.  (I had to use Google to find it!)  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/mark-email-as-spam-xfinity-connect

Expert

@dpwales wrote:

You don't have to open a spam mail in order to mark it as spam.  Just make sure the box to the left of the mail is checked.  Then click on the Mark as spam icon.  The icon doesn't appear until you have either opened the email or checked it.

mark as spam.JPG

Never unsub from an email because that tells the spammers there is a live email they sent to and you will probably receive more spam as a result.

If you're getting spam from a particular address, you can set up a filter to discard it so you never see it.  Click on the gear icon, then on Settings, and under Mail you'll see the option for Filter rules.

There isn't anything that says that you have to use Comcast's email, but if you've been using it this long I would think it would be a hassle to change contacts, etc.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

I know how to mark it as Spam and move it to the Spam folder.  Have done this a thousand times and then deleted them from there, without opening.  How does this teach the Comcast server to automatically mark them at Spam? 

How do the filters work?  Is there a way to make specific email addresses blocked?

Thanks.

New Poster

Thanks!

Expert

@dpwales wrote:

I know how to mark it as Spam and move it to the Spam folder.  Have done this a thousand times and then deleted them from there, without opening.  How does this teach the Comcast server to automatically mark them at Spam? 

How do the filters work?  Is there a way to make specific email addresses blocked?

Thanks.

Yes, under Conditions/Add condition

Regular Visitor

Xfinity (Comcast) has the worst spam filter of any service offered.  It never seems to block the spam, but I get a weekly report from my state senator that I have to remove from spam every time the report is sent to me.  I click on "not spam" to no avail. It doesn''t work, I've done that every week for well over a year............what does it take?

I think I will delete my Comcast email and use my gmail as my primary email account!