Community Forum

deleting emails from all devices at once

Regular Visitor

deleting emails from all devices at once

I can get my emails deleted at the same time from my desktop and pc by deleting from either computer, however I am not able to get those same emails deleted at the same time off of my IPad2 or IPhone 4.  Comcast help told me that if I deleted from the server at comcast.net then it should work.  It did on the PC's, but not the Apples.  I use the same comcast.net account on all devices.  Does anyone know how I can just delete emails from any device and all other devices will delete them as well?  Comcast email help technician blew me off by just saying well if it doesn't work to delete from comcast.net, then it won't work and i would have to delete emails on each device separately.  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: deleting emails from all devices at once

The Comcast mail server is a POP server rather than an IMAP server. When a Comcast rep said to delete them on the server, they were suggesting that you use a mail method that has you acting on the messages on the server. The built-in mail applications aren't doing that. The web-based mail programs and mobile apps will do that.

So I'm guessing from your description that on your desktop and PC, you are using the web-based Xfinity Connect. It's possible that you are using an email client that is better than the Apple email clients at removing deleted messages.

On your iPhone and iPad, you are probably using the built-in mail client. Even though there is a setting to remove a message from the server when it is moved from the Inbox, that doesn't seem to work well.

A solution is to use the Xfinity Mobile app (newly updated this week) on your iOS devices. Or use the mobiel web mail through Safari (m.comcast.net) but the iPad version doesn't have delete on the menu. (bug) Or live with deleting the messages from the iOS devices however you wish and then removing more permanently from the other computers. That's what I do.

Regular Visitor

I don't know if it is appropriate to send a thank you, but your suggestion to use the xfinity app worked.  Obviously I do not know enough about my devices to have figured that out.  Appreciate the help.

Silver Problem Solver

Thank you acknowledged. You're welcome. You could mark my answer as a solution if you wish.

Note that the Xfinity Mobile app may be having some problems that the development team is aware of. Keep an eye on the mobile app forum and this thread there.

New Poster

This is why I'm migrating to my iCloud account - I hate having to manage Comcast on all my devices.
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.  I just recently opened a gmail account and my comcast emails are being forwarded to my gmail.com.  I have an ipad, a motorola smart phone, an two pcs (one at work and one at home)  Is there anyway to delete from gmail.com and have it delete from all devices?

Silver Problem Solver

bjcam33 wrote:

Is there anyway to delete from gmail.com and have it delete from all devices?

If you have all the devices set up to use gmail's IMAP server, I think it should happen automatically.

Gold Problem Solver
Regular Visitor

I have been trying unsuccessfully to sync my email deletion for my Xfinity account between my HP Laptop ("home" computer) and my NOOK and new Samsung Galaxy Tab ..... have wasted over 2 hours on various online chats with Comcast/Xfinity and still not fixed.  Can someone out there help me ... I fully admit to being technically challenged. Tnx!

Expert

All you need to do is enable the account on each device using the settings for IMAP.  You can just re-create the account using the same sign-in credentials you have now.  You will find the settings here--------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Once you're done with that, everything should sync for you.  E.G.----if you delete an email on the phone it will also be deleted on the desktop and so on.  The same applies to any other action you take like marking something as read or unread, moving an email to a local folder and so on.  I would recommend that you delete the older POP3 version of the account to avoid confusion, but you can leave them both run in paralell if you like.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the input .... will let you know if this works out!