Community Forum

comcast.net email sent emails do not make it into my inbox

New Poster

comcast.net email sent emails do not make it into my inbox

comcast.net email is not being received any more.  Sent test messages from msn, gmail and godaddy but never got the email on comcast.  Email came in fine on msn, gmail and godaddy.  What's going on?  Why are there no notifications that comcast.net is down.

Expert

Re: comcast.net email sent emails do not make it into my inbox

One thing to check for sure-------check to see if your "Safe List" has become enabled.   If you are on the new format, on the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen, then on Settings>>>>>Mail>>>>>>Advanced Mail Settings>>>>>Email Safe List.  If it is enabled, nothing will get to your Inbox unless you had put the contact on that list.  So if it is, turn it off.

Contributor

I am having the same problem. Email from msn does not reach me. My safe setting box is not checked, so that is not the problem.

I'm in the Portland, Oregon metro area.

Contributor

I i am having this problem too.

It started a couple days ago and I didn't really notice until today.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to get all my email and I have several different comcast.net email addresses that are downloaded to Thunderbird.

None of them are being recieved and Thunderbird lists that it is "Looking up pop.comcast.net" and stays like this for a couple of minutes, then it just stops and does nothing.

I've been a Comcast customer since 2005 and have been recieving my email via Thunderbird (or other 3rd party software) all this time, without issues, until now.

I do not have "Email Safe List" enabled on any of the email accounts.

I consider this situation to be unacceptable...

1. I am handicapped and recently unemployed...

2. I now have to contact the Unemployment Office and get my emails with them, changed to a new gmail address because they can't reach me through Comcast...

3. I have numerous job applications sent out through various job search sites (Monster, etc) with my main comcast email address, and I am now not able to recieve any responses and I am not able to contact the places I sent applications too, to say "Uh hey yeah.. I sent you an application but uh... I have to give you a new email address to use to contact me now...."   Cause yeah.. thats not very professional when looking for a job!!!

4. I expect Comcast to get this problem resolved ASAP!

New Poster

Thanks for the tip, but safe email box is not checked.  PS I did get several emails today sent as tests this morning.  They came in with a long delay, but yesterday's and Friday's email is still in a black hole.

Expert

@cjc-75 wrote:

I i am having this problem too.

It started a couple days ago and I didn't really notice until today.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to get all my email and I have several different comcast.net email addresses that are downloaded to Thunderbird.

None of them are being recieved and Thunderbird lists that it is "Looking up pop.comcast.net" and stays like this for a couple of minutes, then it just stops and does nothing.

I've been a Comcast customer since 2005 and have been recieving my email via Thunderbird (or other 3rd party software) all this time, without issues, until now.

I do not have "Email Safe List" enabled on any of the email accounts.

I consider this situation to be unacceptable...

1. I am handicapped and recently unemployed...

2. I now have to contact the Unemployment Office and get my emails with them, changed to a new gmail address because they can't reach me through Comcast...

3. I have numerous job applications sent out through various job search sites (Monster, etc) with my main comcast email address, and I am now not able to recieve any responses and I am not able to contact the places I sent applications too, to say "Uh hey yeah.. I sent you an application but uh... I have to give you a new email address to use to contact me now...."   Cause yeah.. thats not very professional when looking for a job!!!

4. I expect Comcast to get this problem resolved ASAP!

If you just use your browser to sign into the webmail interface, does the email work OK?

Contributor

I prefer not to use the Browser.

It takes too long to check too many different email addresses.

I prefer to use my email client that downloads them all at once... just as I have been doing ever since 2005...

I don't really understand why it is necessary to do it differently.

Expert

@cjc-75 wrote:

I prefer not to use the Browser.

It takes too long to check too many different email addresses.

I prefer to use my email client that downloads them all at once... just as I have been doing ever since 2005...

I don't really understand why it is necessary to do it differently.

I am trying to establish whether the problem is with your client or with the account itself.  As a troubleshooting tool, I ask people with this kind of issue to try with the webmail.  So again, does it work OK if you use only the webmail UI and not your desktop client?

Contributor

Yes, it works with the webmail.

Perhaps Comcast changed something on their end, maybe port settings, or SSL, secure authentication, etc?

Perhaps you can tell me whether the account settings I have been using (in the attached image) are still correct?

TB Settings.jpg
Expert

The correct POP3 settings are found here----------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

The incoming server should be "mail.comcast.net", not "pop.comcast.net".

Contributor

Interesting...

When was Comcast supposed to inform the rest of us about these changes to the Server Settings?

I've been using the same settings with pop.comcast.net for years with no problems, and now suddenly they go and change it and not tell their customers?

Regardless, I changed it to mail.comcast.net... and it still didn't work.

So I then changed it back to the original settings with pop.comcast.net; and then closed Thunderbird and then reopened it, and now everything is working normally and it downloaded all the past weeks worth in emails that it hadn't downloaded.