Community Forum

comcast email to iphone 6 (ios 8.1.3)

New Poster

comcast email to iphone 6 (ios 8.1.3)

I just switched from iphone 4 to iphone6(ios8.1.3) and am trying to access my comcast email. No problem accessing on old iphone by the way. The verizon store set up new account during the transfer from old to new....can't access. I have followed all the instructions I can find to make it work. Blogged others attempts. Spoken to Apple support, verizon support, Comcast support took the phone to local best buy geek squad counter .....all have attempted to get emails to phone.

I am still able to access my Comcast email on desktop thru outlook by the way.

I have added new account to phone with incoming and outgoing settings as prescribed by comcast, tried syncing to same settings as outlook, same settings as the 4, deleted and added numerous times.

Very rarely an email will come in to the phone, but will only stay there for seconds and disappear.

Tried to access by downloading Xfinity Connect app.......no success there either.

I am so frustrated I don't know where to turn.

HELP

Expert

Re: comcast email to iphone 6 (ios 8.1.3)

I have an iPhone 4s, running iOS 8.1.3.  I have three Comcast accounts on it and I'm not having any issues with them.  Did you try just letting the phone auto-configure the account for you?  iOS is supposed to now detect Comcast accounts as IMAP and then configure them accordingly.  Mine are using port 993 for the incoming, and 587 for the outgoing.  SSL on.  Authentication:  password.  Does that match yours?

New Poster

yes I did....and mine also is 993 and 587. 

New Poster

and I had no problem on my iphone 4 before moving to the 6.  Got emails until it was turned off during the conversion process tothe new 6

Silver Problem Solver

Let's try to answer again after reading more carefully ...

Is your mail set up as a POP account or an IMAP account?

These settings apply to all Apple products - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac.

You need to set the username and password in two places - once for incoming and once for outgoing. The ports are different for incoming (995 to mail.comcast.net) and outgoing(465 to smtp.comcast.net). You need to turn on SSL and have password authentication.

Do not use Comcast in the "name" field as this is what recipients see as your short name. Use your real name there.

Check that your password is a strong one with upper and lower case letters as well as a digit.

Screenshots showing needed information. Your screens may be slightly different but info is correct.

mailAcct.jpg     mailAdvanced.jpg

mailSMTP.jpg   mailOutgoing.jpg

New Poster

My iPhone 6, OS 8 receives comcast emails and then automatically deletes them.  Or makes them disappear.  My account information says it is IMP ACCOUNT.  Instead of Host name as mail.comcast.net I entered imap.comcast.net. I understand this was the correct setting.  OS 8 changes a POP account to an IMAP account. I have spent days and days on this.  It shouldn't be this hard!

New Poster

My iPhone 6 deletes emails shortly after they arrive also. I've set the settings to what is prescribed by these forums on Comcast.  Does your Account say it is an IMAP account or a POP account as listed in the later message?

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue! My wife is running IOS 8 and her phone has her account as a POP, mine goes to IMAP by default. This is new, I have had iPhones and Comcast for years...what is the solution!?

Silver Problem Solver

The settings in my screenshots are for POP accounts.

IMAP accounts need different ports - 993 for incoming and 587 for outgoing.

But most importantly, deleting from the server will delete from your phone.

Does your computer think this is an IMAP account or POP account? 

Look at these settings for IMAP:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Frequent Visitor

My e mail started disappearing within the lat 3 days. I did not reset or add anything. I set my wife's phone up 3 months ago and she has no issue.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't know.

We can't look at your devices and see all the settings and how everything interacts.

I'm guessing it has something to do with an interaction between IMAP and POP or the difference between IMAP and POP, but you say you haven't changed anything anywhere.

If it were my account, I'd double check that the desktop computer is using IMAP for my account and leaving the messages on the server so that they can be accessed from the phone. But maybe some other customers have greater insight into this.

Edit: I checked with my husband because he has his mail set up differently than mine. His office computer accesses his Comcast mail as IMAP. His home computer accesses it as POP. The POP access is deliberately set to leave the messages on the server. So it is possible to access the same account with the different protocols, but you have to be careful. I don't know precisely when Comcast switched to IMAP being the default protocol, but that would explain in part why your wife's is POP and yours is IMAP.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your message. The issue is because my laptop and iPad (along with my wife's phone) are set up as a POP account (a Comcast rep verified on the phone that they are a POP account during an hour long tech call). The problem is my iPhone 6 defaulted to an IMAP account with no way to change it. The school I work at has it's own Apple "store" as our tech support. I went there today and the "fix" is to put in an incorrect e mail and the phone then is "fooled" and finally a screen that allows you to create a POP account. You then enter the correct e mail address and change the incoming server to mail.comcast instaed of imap.comcast. Problem solved! 

My big question is...Why didn't anyone at Comcast (or my local Apple store) know this issue?

Silver Problem Solver

I don't know precisely when Comcast switched from POP to IMAP as the default email protocol. It is fairly recently - since beginning of 2015? So maybe not enough people know about it.

Most people want IMAP. It lets you delete mail once and have it happen on all devices.

But most of us also don't like change. I feel comfortable deleting anything on my phone in the POP accounts because it won't affect my desktop. But sometimes I want to see a message I received and downloaded to my desktop but I am somewhere else with my phone. My Gmail account is IMAP. I'll probably switch my Comcast account in the next few months.

Thank you for letting us know what worked for you.

New Poster

For what it is worth, my iPhone 5 with 8.2 started having email problems with Comcast yesterday.  The inbox on my phone just said NO MAIL in the middle of the screen.  Checking it on my laptop and the account was fine.  So, I deleted the Comcast account from my phone then recreated the account.  It works fine now.  Someone may want to try this and see if it works for them.

New Poster

I have an 1Phone 6 and just recently did an update to IOS 8.3.  I had the same issue as those above over the last few days.  I deleted my comcast account on the phone, and added a new one (which found Comcast settings and defaulted to them) and it worked.  I would suggest doing the same-delete your old Comcast email account on your phone and create a new one.  Problem solved and it only took me 30 seconds.

Regular Visitor

These instructions were helpful. All of my emails were gone today (although it was working a for a few days after I did the IOS8 update.) After I changed the outgoing mail server port number to 465, all my mail came back. Thank you!
New Poster

Asked previously with no answer - iPhone 6 with latest iOS and SMTP Comcast (mail.comcast) but repeatedly receive error that message not sent when, in reality, multiple copies of the message have been sent. Newish problem over past several months. Deleting account did not correct problem. I use two Comcast accounts.
New Poster

The "fix" that kastefam gave worked for me. 

Here are the steps as I remember them (following this procedure will delete you account on your iPhone, and any emails that were in you Inbox on your phone will not return, but this shouldn't be a problem because if you are looking for a resolution to this problem, you have already seen that your phone says NO MAIL in your inbox!):

1.)  Delete your Comcast account on your iPhone 

2.) Add a new account using the "other" type (you are now recreating the Comcast account)

3.) While filling in the information for the new account, purposely misspell your email address but complete all other info correctly and click Done (or Save, I can't remember).

4.) This will cause the verification process to fail, and then you will be presented with the option to continue, and this is where you will see the option to choose between an imap or a pop account.  Choose the pop type of account and all of your info should still be entered.  Simply correct the email address in TWO places and then the verification process should succeed!

New Poster

Many thanks for your very helpful and very clear instructions.  They worked perfectily.  I am grateful!

Frequent Visitor

Glad to help,I know I felt relief when I found the fix. I hate when inanimate objects cause frustration!
New Poster

I had the same problem. Your solution worked.

before I deleted....I photographed all the account information on my iPhone so I had it if anything went wrong.

Easy.....it took less than 2 minutes to get my emails back.

thank you.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for this explanation. Since changing comcast passwords the other day, I have been unable to send mail from my iOS devices. Your explanation and solution helped me fix the problem.

Contributor

Having issues tonight with sending and receiving on Desktop, outlook and iPhone....finally I logged out of Comcast on desktop and went to log in - go a message ~"you're account has had unauthorized use, you need to change your password now'....so I did....it now works on my desktop (I think) but I cannot SEND using my iPhone, get an error message... IF I delete the account and recreate a POP email (as I had) will it delete all the emails from original account on my phone?

btw - is this realted to the recent Comcast 'Hack' I read about???

New Poster

That worked great!  Thank you so much for posting those steps!!!  

New Poster

I want to thank you BethKatz!!  i have been having issues for a week and YOUR POST fixed it - thank you a thousand times!