Community Forum

changing email address with out losing my address book and my folders

New Poster

changing email address with out losing my address book and my folders

how do I change my email address and not lose my adress book and folders

Expert

Re: changing email address with out losing my address book and my folders

When a user ID (that part of the email address to the left of the @ symbol) is changed or deleted, it is suspended for 90 days, and then released back into the pool of available IDs for any Comcast customer that wants to claim it.  You would lose any access to the emails and folders in that account.  That said, you can enable the account in a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird and then move the emails into local folders in the client. Then you could go back and change the email address. There really is no easy way to do what you are describing.

New Poster

the answer I got was not the answer I was looking for, I thought there would be a simpler way of changing my email name and keep my address book and folders, why do they have to make things so complex.

Latoque wrote:

When a user ID (that part of the email address to the left of the @ symbol) is changed or deleted, it is suspended for 90 days, and then released back into the pool of available IDs for any Comcast customer that wants to claim it.  You would lose any access to the emails and folders in that account.  That said, you can enable the account in a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird and then move the emails into local folders in the client. Then you could go back and change the email address. There really is no easy way to do what you are describing.

Expert

This is nothing peculiar to Comcast email.  When you sign up for an email account with any email provider and then assign it the user ID portion, that's that.  It's the nature of the email beast.   It is what it is.  If you want to keep all your folders and emails in the old account----------just leave them as they are.  Stop using that email address.  All that information will still be there.  Create a secondary account with whatever new ID you want and start using that for your email going forward.  You have lots of options here.