Community Forum

address book and collected addreess

New Poster

address book and collected addreess

with the new format on composing an email and sending out,   what is collected addresses and address book?    Before I could just send to everyone in the address book.   how can you combine collected and address book?

Expert

Re: address book and collected addreess

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  But if a contact is in your address book, or if you have sent an email to a contact even if it's not in the address book, the auto-fill will pick it up when you start typing it into the To: field.  Is that what you mean?

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar question:

Windows 10 crashed on my HP laptop and I was forced to reinstall Windows.  I seem to have lost my address book in Outlook.  I log in to my Comcast account and again, my address book is basically empty.  However I do see at least most of my contacts in the "Collected Addresses" folder.  How do I do a mass import of those contacts back into my Comcast Address Book?  Will that automatically populate my Outlook Address Book?  Is that even necessary or advisable?

Thanks.

Expert

By chance, are you still in the old email format?  Because if so, the address book has a series of backups you can use to restore it.  To tell, look at the URL in the address bar.  If it says Zimbra you are in the old one, if it says Appsuite you are in the new one. Post back.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply, Latoque.

It looks like it's the new one, with Appsuite in the URL.  Today is the first time that loaded when I logged in, and stepped me through the startup tutorial.

FYI, I was able to import an export of my address book from mid-December.  Unfortunately, subsequent to that export, I did some extensive cleanup of the address book, getting rid of obsolete addresses, adding new ones, and getting them all in the same format with regard to First name, last name, display name, etc.   So, it would be very helpful if I were able to restore the address book as it stood just prior to Windows tanking on me last Saturday.

Expert

I'm going to escalate this thread to the forum admins for follow-up.  Given the sequence of the events as you describe them I'm not sure if it's possible to restore the address book to a point in time AFTER the Windows 10 event.  You should get a response here in this thread.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

Official Employee

Hi, wisemaj - I can request our engineering email team to check your account but I will be honest with you - I don't think they will be able to restore the address book contacts. But it's definitely worth a try! Please send me your full name, address, and a phone number in a private message.  Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastElla, or anyone,

Before going through the private email route, perhaps I should update my situation.  I have successfully transferred all of the addresses in the "collected addresses" folder into my Comcast Address Book.  This recovered most of the addresses that I use, but not all.  So now I have a couple of questions:  1. My Comcast Address Book is not currently visible to Outlook on my laptop (I always use Outlook rather than logging into comcast.net).  Is there a way to link my Comcast Address Book to Outlook so that I could maintain the Address Book just on Comcast?   2.  Perhaps more desirable, how can I export my Comcast Address Book into Outlook so that I can maintain it there?