Community Forum

Windows live email no longer getting email.

New Poster

Windows live email no longer getting email.

I have been using Windows live for 10 years without a problem. All of a sudden I am no longer able to get emails. My Comcast account still works fine. A box keeps popping on Windows live asking for password. I had it set to remember me so it never asked for a password. But when I enter the password it says wrong password but I know it is correct. I have used the same passwords for years. And it is over 8 characters and contains a capital letter and numbers. So I have no idea whats going on or why it wont work anymore. Any one have any ideas why this is happening?

Expert

Re: Windows live email no longer getting email.

@Spiderwolf wrote:

I have been using Windows live for 10 years without a problem. All of a sudden I am no longer able to get emails. My Comcast account still works fine. A box keeps popping on Windows live asking for password. I had it set to remember me so it never asked for a password. But when I enter the password it says wrong password but I know it is correct. I have used the same passwords for years. And it is over 8 characters and contains a capital letter and numbers. So I have no idea whats going on or why it wont work anymore. Any one have any ideas why this is happening?

A couple of things here.  Microsoft abandoned WLM a long time ago and is not providing any updates or security for it.  You might want to consider using a different email client.  Thunderbird is a good robust mail client that you might like.

Please note that you might need to make changes to Incoming Mail Server.  Port Number 110 will no longer be supported. If you wish to continue to use POP, please update your configurations to Port 995. To do so, find your email application's Settings or Preferences section on the device that you use to access your Comcast email account. Note that depending on your email application, port configurations may be located under advanced settings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Do I change the port on windows live email or Comcast, because I have no trouble on the Comcast end. I did change it on the Windows live but it did not help. I had no idea they abandoned it. I never had a problem with it until recently. Im just really used to the format and anything else just does not look right. Thats why I dont go to Comcast because I dont like the format. I looked at Thunderbird and its format is similar to Comcast. If I cant get Windows live to work anymore I would like to find an email with the same format or layout.

Expert

@Spiderwolf wrote:

Do I change the port on windows live email or Comcast, because I have no trouble on the Comcast end. I did change it on the Windows live but it did not help. I had no idea they abandoned it. I never had a problem with it until recently. Im just really used to the format and anything else just does not look right. Thats why I dont go to Comcast because I dont like the format. I looked at Thunderbird and its format is similar to Comcast. If I cant get Windows live to work anymore I would like to find an email with the same format or layout.

I understand.  Changing to something new isn't always easy.  I don't know of any other email client that is like WLM; most current clients today are similar to Thunderbird.  I used WLM 2012 and really liked it, but went with Thunderbird after hearing that WLM was being discontinued.

There is a program called Outlook Express Classic you could take a look at but it is missing lots of features that WLM had.

I think you should really try Thunderbird, though, while leaving your email messages on the Comcast server while you're giving it a trial run; that way if you don't like Thunderbird you can try something else while downloading your messages again.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!