Community Forum

Why are all of my email Filter Rules gone?

New Poster

Why are all of my email Filter Rules gone?

I had about 20 Filter Rules to try to keep legitimate emails from being sent to the Spam folder, but as of yesterday (5/27/19) they are all gone. I have tried logging out and back in with multiple browsers and different computers, but they are all gone. Why were all of my Filter Rules deleted?
Official Employee

Re: Why are all of my email Filter Rules gone?

Hi superg3, apologies for your frustrations with your email filters.  Are you able to create others and if so are they able saving?

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I created a few more than those disappeared a couple hours later, and now I've created a couple more and those have stayed saved for a couple of days. But all of my originals are still gone
Official Employee

Thank you for your reply, and I would like to look into this further.  Could you please send me a private message with your full name to begin?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

You are not alone. For the third time in the last few months (most recently May 30 like you) I have lost all of the email rules I had written to mediate the mindless spam I have been getting. All three times a customer service rep tried to "restore" that email account but it did not work. They escalated to a higher power but still no resolution. Frustrating to say the least. Not helpful but at least you know it is not just your account having this issue.
Official Employee

Ajraith, thank you for reaching out here! I can understand how frustrating these email issues could be. I would love to have the opportunity to help. 

Please send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 
To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

New Poster

AND, my Filter Rules are gone AGAIN as of today, 6/5.  They were there yesterday.  But they were not working even when they were hanging around.  Comcast's mail filtering 'feature' is junk.  Filters don't work correctly, or they are just outright deleted.  And I have to keep saving my legitimate emails from he spam folder because using the NotSpam or IsSpam buttons has absolutely no effect, and adding the email senders to my address book doesn't help either.

Official Employee

We can try opening a request for you if needed, superg3. It's not normal for them to be set and then to continuously default back. 

New Poster

And so overnight, my rules are gone yet again (4th time in 3-4 months).   I suppose it is time to use a different email provider and stop rebuilding rules each time.  Comcast has been of no help although they have higher level troubleshooters call me to "help" fix the issue.  However, I already spent the better part of an hour on the phone with them explaining the issue and was told told they would be doing something to prevent this from happening again.  Yet it does so there's no point as it is clear there is a problem that they either don't care about because not enough people use the web mail filter options or because they have not found a cause.   Hope everyone finds some resolution in the future.  For me, I'll just look for other email options to address the issue.

Official Employee

Ajraith, sorry to hear about your experience. We don't want the filters to cause this frustration--but I get it. You have a product and you expect it to work. I'd be happy to work with you and advanced tech ops to come to a resolution before we lose you. I don't want that to happen! Please send me a private message with your full name for help. 

Ken

New Poster

I also have problems with Filter Rules disappearing.  I have two young daughters that share an email account with my wife and I.  I created (multiple times) rules to prevent them from being exposed to very inappropriate emails.  Yet, like others in this forum, perideodcally find that the rules I created for their protection have disappeared and the inappropriate emails have returned.  When I search the web and social media I find that it is the concensus that Comcast does this because they sell access to their user base and remove these rules.  

We have been customers for over 20 years and it always seems to be something.  Like another post, we are going to consider other services.

Regular Visitor

My filters disappeared on 15 August, too. I called support and the agent implied that my account may have been hacked--even though there were not other symptoms. I went ahead and reset my password. After spending a couple hours recreating filters, things went okay until today when the filters disappeared again. I called support again and the problem was escalated. Now that I see posts here, it is clear that there is some sort of malfunction in maintaining email accounts that deletes the email filters. I expect a much more robust email system than this from Comcast. I hate switching email clients services, but it looks like it is time to move to another provider. As well, it is not likely that I would recommend Xfinity to others. 

New Poster

I have posted in the forum, emailed support, used Chat, and even called them.  All of their answers are evasive and certainly not helpful.  It seems to me that they are paid for access to their user base and when a major customer pays for access to the email list that they deleted the filters.  Sounds paranoid, but when they delete the rules suddenly I am gettng spam from senders and companies I have never seen before.  In short, each deletion brings new spam.  My comcast email is used bymy entire family, including my 7 and 10 year old daughters.  They log in to check for messages from family and friends, as well as send updates to family and friends.   But what they get is an instructional email on how to get hard and keep it up longer; or, it generates curiosity on why dad does nasty things to Miss Mona.

A conversation with our state Attorney General directed us to file a claim with their office and a suggestion that legal action may be merited.  Now, Comast cannot gurantee that these types of emails will not get through, but they are at fault because they deny us the tools or circumvent them in order to allow their spam clients to get through.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have no idea how many filters I "had"; however, as spam started re-appearing, I checked and, like everyone here, ALL MY FILTERS were gone. So frustrating. I can't yet tell if the new ones are sticking. 

New Poster

Sadly, even if they stick today, they will be gone at some point within weeks.  I will be done with Comcast going forward.  They clearly don't care about their customers or their level of service.  With so many options available now, you'd think they would be more attentive to issues like these.  I feel like me and the others who have posted here have simply been given lip service - they either know why those filters disappear and don't want to say, or they have no clue and that is equally startling.

And for the record, every time I recreated filter rules, I found myself needing to add more.  So I believe another post whtat indicates they are clearing these out purposefully.

New Poster

You are correct....  they do it intentionally.  They get our dollar already, but they sell mailing lists and the bigger the available mailing list the more money they make.  I called tech support yesterday and after 50,000 different menu options I got a tech that required that I use no more than 1 or 2 syllables.  He didnt even have to courtesy of "let me research it" - He got right to the point by telling me if I didnt like the service I was welcome to look elsewhere.  Time to start filing grievances with governmental agencies

New Poster

My Filter rules were working OK some of the time, then suddenly dissappeared today.  Add that to our Internet, Phone, and TV being out constantly over the last few days.  Time to go to WOW cable

Regular Contributor

Yep. Posted on 8/21. Today, ALL MY NEW FILTERS are GONE!