Community Forum

Webmail server <Edited> when trying to send messages to Comcast e-mail addresses

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Webmail server <Edited> when trying to send messages to Comcast e-mail addresses

We use a webmail server to send messages to members of a community choir.  For several months now our messages have been "throttled" from reaching any members that have a Comcast e-mail address.  Not having problems with any other e-mail addresses (Google, Yahoo, SBC Global, etc.) other than Comcast ones.  Here is an example of the error messages we receive:

host mx2.comcast.net [68.87.20.5]
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<Edited> SIZE=3585:
   421 4.1.0 162.211.83.243 Throttled - try again later. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#RL000001

As I have seen numerous exasperated posts about frustrations with Comcast customer support and have had similar experiences of my own with other Comcast issues, I have no desire to spend hours haggling on the phone hoping to find someone who will help.  Was hoping someone knew of a more painless solution to this issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Webmail server <Edited> when trying to send messages to Comcast e-mail addresses

@dogdoc8 wrote:

We use a webmail server to send messages to members of a community choir.  For several months now our messages have been "throttled" from reaching any members that have a Comcast e-mail address.  Not having problems with any other e-mail addresses (Google, Yahoo, SBC Global, etc.) other than Comcast ones.  Here is an example of the error messages we receive:

host mx2.comcast.net [68.87.20.5]
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<Edited> SIZE=3585:
   421 4.1.0 162.211.83.243 Throttled - try again later. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#RL000001

As I have seen numerous exasperated posts about frustrations with Comcast customer support and have had similar experiences of my own with other Comcast issues, I have no desire to spend hours haggling on the phone hoping to find someone who will help.  Was hoping someone knew of a more painless solution to this issue.

Did you follow the link given to find out why you're having problems?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Webmail server <Edited> when trying to send messages to Comcast e-mail addresses

This is what the link for that error code says (I'd love a translation in plain English if you have one):

RL000001 :: Mail to Comcast is queued and I see RL000001 in my email logs. What does this mean?

Comcast has instituted rate limiting on all inbound email traffic. This step was taken to protect our customers and our email system from unwanted spam and malicious attacks. Any systems affected by this rate limit will receive a 4xx message (temp-fail) during the SMTP transaction. This message is designed to instruct the sending server to try again at a later time to deliver its email.

Our rate limiting policy is based on sender reputation, provided by SenderScore as well as authentication of the sending server, regardless of the number of domains from that server.

Recipients per Hour SenderScore*
120 N/A
1,200 0 - 15
3,600 16 - 25
6,000 26 - 30
12,000 31 - 50
24,000 51 - 70
42,000 71 - 85
60,000 86 - 100
*Subject to successful authentication

If the rate-limit is impacting your ability to deliver email, shortening your server's delivery retry interval should resolve the issue.

If you require additional assistance, please contact Customer Security Assurance at 888-565-4329.

Highlighted
Expert

@dogdoc8 wrote:

This is what the link for that error code says (I'd love a translation in plain English if you have one):

RL000001 :: Mail to Comcast is queued and I see RL000001 in my email logs. What does this mean?

Comcast has instituted rate limiting on all inbound email traffic. This step was taken to protect our customers and our email system from unwanted spam and malicious attacks. Any systems affected by this rate limit will receive a 4xx message (temp-fail) during the SMTP transaction. This message is designed to instruct the sending server to try again at a later time to deliver its email.

Our rate limiting policy is based on sender reputation, provided by SenderScore as well as authentication of the sending server, regardless of the number of domains from that server.

Recipients per Hour SenderScore*
120 N/A
1,200 0 - 15
3,600 16 - 25
6,000 26 - 30
12,000 31 - 50
24,000 51 - 70
42,000 71 - 85
60,000 86 - 100
*Subject to successful authentication

If the rate-limit is impacting your ability to deliver email, shortening your server's delivery retry interval should resolve the issue.

If you require additional assistance, please contact Customer Security Assurance at 888-565-4329.

So, your next step is to contact Customer Security Assurance.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Was hoping for some more insightful information than that.  My attempt to deal with Comcast support was just as frustrating a waste of time as it usually is and got me nowhere.  Thanks anyway.