Community Forum

Using SMTP mail server and SMTP relay

New Poster

Using SMTP mail server and SMTP relay

Does anyone know if Comcast has an SMTP relay service?  I am trying to get a mail server up and running, and I can't use it directly because of blacklisting (that's for all of Comcast's IP addresses).  I'm told that the solution is to use an SMTP relay.  I'm using port 587.  Anyone have experience with this?  Comcast, can you pls address my question?  Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Using SMTP mail server and SMTP relay

jwfmiller wrote:

Does anyone know if Comcast has an SMTP relay service?  I am trying to get a mail server up and running, and I can't use it directly because of blacklisting (that's for all of Comcast's IP addresses).  I'm told that the solution is to use an SMTP relay.  I'm using port 587.  Anyone have experience with this?  Comcast, can you pls address my question?  Thanks!

Server name: smtp.comcast.net

Authentication required; server supports LOGIN and PLAIN

port options:

port 587

STARTTLS optional

port 465

SSL required; not sure what terms an MTA might use, might be referred to as TLS.

New Poster

That configuration is now working for outbound email.  A big step forward!  How about inbound?  Am I correct in that SMTP Relays are only for outbound emails?  If so, what port is used by Comcast for inbound email to my mail server?  Blacklisting of IP addresses is just for outbound email...is that correct?

Thanks for your help!!

Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate or disruptive). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Frequent Visitor

try   http://mxguarddog.com  .  they provide a service using the mx records in your dns entries to recieve your incoming mail and then send it to your server on whatever port you want. which allows you to recieve your mail normal on the sever by setting up port forwarding on your router through an unblocked port.