Community Forum

Using Mac Mail on iMac high Sierra /NOT COMCAST

Regular Contributor

Using Mac Mail on iMac high Sierra /NOT COMCAST

For ages I have been retreiving my mail using mac mail. Once I receive it there it is not supposed to be on the comcast mail site at all... I logged on to see the comcast mail site and there is all the mail as well.. It says and I have it set to delete after its retreived, I assume  meaning from the mac mail acct. But everything is still there on comcast.. It never was this way and it seems stupid to have two accts with all the mail....Do I have to delete my mail from comcast ,manually all the time?Just want mail  on mac mail and once retreived it should vanish from the comcast mail site??? Ports seem set okay..

Expert

Re: Using Mac Mail on iMac high Sierra /NOT COMCAST

Are you using POP3 or IMAP in Mac Mail with the Comcast account?  With IMAP if you delete an email in one place it should be deleted anywhere else you have the account enabled using IMAP.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Yes I have imap.. Issue is the emails should NOT be showing up on comcast email site at all...Goes to my mac mail directly supposed to bypassing comcast even though its their server. Yes imap

Expert

IMAP syncs everything.  It copies your emails to your client (in this case Mac Mail), but it doesn't delete them.  So they are supposed to be showing on the server.  That's the normal default behavior for IMAP.  If, on the other hand, you were to use POP3, then it would download the emails and then delete them from the server.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

You are correct. I use to have pop so it(my emails) never stayed on comcasts site went directly to mac mail. I called comcast and I do feel there is no need to have two sets of emails under the main acct. Should only go to one which is my mac mail or give me the option to choose. Its a bit backwards I feel since other email acct do not show up its only the main acct emails, secondary not.. People like me should be able to choose. To have two sets of emails floating around seems wrong and less security .Hopefully comcast will realize this and at least give the customer an option... I'll see what they say

Expert

@bluebird51 wrote:

You are correct. I use to have pop so it(my emails) never stayed on comcasts site went directly to mac mail. I called comcast and I do feel there is no need to have two sets of emails under the main acct. Should only go to one which is my mac mail or give me the option to choose. Its a bit backwards I feel since other email acct do not show up its only the main acct emails, secondary not.. People like me should be able to choose. To have two sets of emails floating around seems wrong and less security .Hopefully comcast will realize this and at least give the customer an option... I'll see what they say

It's not a Comcast issue;  rather it's how you configure your email client.  Comcast provides you with a webmail service.  They have no control over whether you choose to use it in any app or client.  The choice is on your part, not theirs.  There are not two sets of emails "floating around";  it's the same emails just displayed in two different places, as per your choice.

Regular Contributor

thats not so its not per my choice..comcast /imap have it so the main acct emails will show up on their site! If I put it under a secondary user name the same emails will show up under that email...It is comcasts doing. I was told that as thats how imap works.. Go ask them.

Problem Solver

I answered this in your other duplicate post here https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Can-I-delete-mail-setup-on-Comcast-site-as-I-use-Ma...

That being said, @Latoque is 100% correct. You are using IMAP to check your mail and it is acting in the expected fashion. If you change to POP as I listed above you will have the experience you desire. You have the power to decide which method you would like to use.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I just got off with comcast again. They said no to using pop! and that after nov 18 or so pop will be no longer... So I really have no control of the ports.

TY

Regular Contributor

Hi Brett. I just got off with comcast TWICE.. First girl kept cutting off due to bad connection. She said I could not  .. Then called back tried to explain to the new girl she said no...So you wonder why I am confused... Second girl said pop is going to be no longer.... If what you say is correct....I thank You but a bit confused as getting all different answers.. Even a Tech called me yesterday as a follow up and said No to pop as well.... So I want to be sure before changing anything....

Problem Solver

I understand their confusion (and your subsequent frustration) and I apologize for that before I explain.

We are not doing away with POP... however, we will be closing down the insecure port 110 that some people use to connect to POP. The instructions I gave you above use the secure port 995 with SSL are correct.  This is being done to protect customers from potential data theft in the future. (This is proactive, not reactive) I believe they have misinterpreted the internal materials. 

POP is not going away, it's just being more secure.

I will work with our customer care people to see if we can't clear up any confusion on our parts.

Regular Contributor

Hi Brett,

One more question.. Do I only change the main authorized acct? using pop3? I wanted to test it and changed the secondary email I have using Pop3 it would not verify it saying invalid.....Is that because its a secondary user?

Problem Solver

Primary or secondary shouldn't matter. Just make sure your passwords are correct. You usually have to make sure both the outgoing and incoming passwords are correct in Apple mail products (especially if you are making a change). 

Regular Contributor

When set on automatic setting in mac mail... The port comes up 143 then says only if needed? What does that mean and why is that.. The other option recommended is 993. Could you explain the difference. Auto setting its on is 143?

Still considering the Pop3 change but curious what those automatic setting mean.. TY

Regular Contributor

I tried the pop3 would not verify.... It says the certificate for this server is invalid. Identity of Pop3 comcast.net cannot be verified.. I went to wear it says certificate under advanced settings-- TLS certificate was checked " NONE." Under that there is an apple certificate. Should that be checked??  Thank You

Using mac mail on Mojave. imac.

Also is mac mail considered a third party? I  have no cell or anything else, not using icloud etc.

Regular Contributor

Brett,

Sorry but it seems in incoming server name should it be mail.comcast.net? and not pop3.comcast.net?? Been trying to find answers from my own research. A bit confused. TY. Using a 2018 imac. with mojave now

Expert

@bluebird51 wrote:

Brett,

Sorry but it seems in incoming server name should it be mail.comcast.net? and not pop3.comcast.net?? Been trying to find answers from my own research. A bit confused. TY. Using a 2018 imac. with mojave now

"Only if needed" is the alternate port for either server in the event your client rejects the first one.  It will work but is a little less secure.  The settings for Comcast in a client like Mac Mail are found here--------------

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

Problem Solver

@bluebird51 you do not have Private Messages enabled so I can't reply to you.

POP3 not working? Hmm, try pop.comcast.net instead. As a last resort use mail.comcast.net 

Then for the ports, it should look like this I believe:

POP 995 USE SSL.png

If you are talking about your forum Username, click on your name or icon and you should be taken to your profile. Scroll down to manage username. You can change it there I believe. (Not a forum expert, so if that doesn't work let me know or someone else can chime in here.)

Gold Problem Solver

@CCBrett wrote: ... POP3 not working? Hmm, try pop.comcast.net instead. As a last resort use mail.comcast.net ...

"mail.comcast.net" is hardly a "last resort" POP3 host name. It's the ONLY hostname listed on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email for use with POP3, and that's been the case for at least a decade. To my knowledge, POP.xxx.yyy and POP3.xxx.yyy server names have never even been listed on the Support pages, not even as alternates.

Regular Contributor

Not getting anywhere with the comcast mail nor the forum issue with name.Will someone come out to redo the email if not getting anywhere using this forum? Forum I hit on name  cannot even get to private messaging.... Its been days since working with comcast and the email questions and not getting anywhere. Called comcast 3 times they were clueless and gave me wrong info....previous days.. What do I do now????

Highlighted
Problem Solver

To turn on your Private Messaging please click on your Icon, right under the banner and then click on My Settings, Preferences, Private Messages

Forum Settings.gif

Regular Contributor

OKAY DONE TY...

Regular Contributor

No luck changing ports..Also told  to use POP3.comcast.net did not work but told its mail.comcast.net instead. Still no luck..Talked to comcast higher up  was going to get back to me, have not heard yet.... Called apple 3 times not their issue perhaps a comcast server due to the fact maybe they changed everything to imap. I still believe its ones choice if I want to save emails on comcast or have them removed from the server once I use mac mail which I am use too.. Have no need to keep them on comcast, never have... I have literally checked out everything even tried setting up new mail account to test. No luck there either.Verifying goes around and around then says unable to verify acct name or password.....Yet if I log onto comcast site with my emails and passwords everything works fine..Mind you Mac mail works fine its just I cannot change to port 995 and use pop... Any ideas from APPLE people...

Expert

@bluebird51 wrote:

No luck changing ports..Also told  to use POP3.comcast.net did not work but told its mail.comcast.net instead. Still no luck..Talked to comcast higher up  was going to get back to me, have not heard yet.... Called apple 3 times not their issue perhaps a comcast server due to the fact maybe they changed everything to imap. I still believe its ones choice if I want to save emails on comcast or have them removed from the server once I use mac mail which I am use too.. Have no need to keep them on comcast, never have... I have literally checked out everything even tried setting up new mail account to test. No luck there either.Verifying goes around and around then says unable to verify acct name or password.....Yet if I log onto comcast site with my emails and passwords everything works fine..Mind you Mac mail works fine its just I cannot change to port 995 and use pop... Any ideas from APPLE people...

I don't hink you can just change the information over from IMAP to POP3.  You are probably going to have to create your email address AS POP3 after disabling your IMAP email address in Mac Mail.

As far as changing your forum name, ComcastJessie tried to send you a PM about it, but your PM's have been disabled.  She would be the only one that can change that for you, so if it's something you want done, you'll need to send her a PM.  Please note, your forum username has nothing to do with your email address.