Community Forum

Upgrade your browser to access Xfinity but all browsers are up to date

Frequent Visitor

Upgrade your browser to access Xfinity but all browsers are up to date

I've noticed others in the forum with the same problem but there does not seem to be any resolution provided by Xfinity.  It started in May, 2019  I keep getting what appears to be a redirected web page that states "Upgrade your browser to access Xfinity  Unfortunately your current bowser does not comply with security standards.  Please update to a new web browser below " then lists the recommended browsers of Chrome, Opera, Firefox or Internet Explorer.  This occurs when I try to access xfinity.com.  Sometimes I make it in and it then crashes for good to this redirected page when I try to stream TV.  I get the problem with multiple browsers.

I have spend a lot of time with Xfinity technical support that turned out to be a total waste of time.  I told them I was using Windows 10, all my browsers (I have Edge, Chrome, Firefox and IE) are up to date.  If this problem does not occur, I have an issue getting Flash to work properly with a couple of the browsers, again based on another redirect page from xfinity about enabling flash player (that is a different browser specific problem because some of the browsers do not like Flash and require manual approval to use).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and Firefox, and fixed and reset Edge.  I have ensured that Flash is up to date as well and try to keep it enabled.   I have other programs that help clear the cache and other browser content because they do not do a real good job of cleaning house.  Most of the time this does not work and I still get the redirect pages.  Occasionally, after all this effort, I get it to work for 1-2 days at most.  Sometimes it is one or two sessions.  If it works for a day or so, then what is the problem Xfinity? Why does the redirect keep happening?

I do not want to use Internet Explorer because it is a short term solution at best.  When I tried it, I got another popup from Xfinity advising  that IE will no longer be supported by Microsoft in 2020 and recommended use of other browsers or Edge.  Seems counter productive to recommend use of a browser that will no longer be supported next year.

One of the service techs I talke to suggested taking this up with the browser developer mainly because they ran out of their scripted troubleshooting options.  This is a ridiculous suggestion as the only time I am having any problem with web pages are when they are Xfinity's.  This appears to be a problem with the script on the web pages that result in the redirect pages, and it is Xfinity's responsiblity to make sure their pages work with the browsers they are reccommending.

Anyone have any suggestions for a permanent fix to this?

New Poster

Re: Upgrade your browser to access Xfinity but all browsers are up to date

no, i amhaving the same pribkem since beginning of july

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for confirming a similar problem and it is not just my PC or particular setup.  It would be nice if the Xfinity techs would check this forum to see that the problem actually exists with others and acknowledge that the problem might actually be Xfinity's with their web site script with their pages.

Official Employee

Hello R_Check, thank you for creating a post on our forum. I know it can be frustrating to have an issue like this and there's no way of finding out what's causing the issue. I am happy to help find a resolution for this problem, can you tell me if you've tried updating your silver light feature on the computer? If not please do so now, this should clear up the issue. Feel free to reach back out to me here if you need anything further. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi.  I did not have Silverlight installed.  I installed it and it did not appear in the addins or extensions of my various browsers.  Checking the Silverlight information, it did not appear to work in versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge beyond about 2016.  It might take a work around to get it recognized by the browser, which also makes me concerned that it does not install properly without a lot of trouble.  Also, from what I could tell, Silverlight helps with the playing of video content.  That is not the problem I am frustrated with because I cannot get to the point where I can play (stream) the TV content.    I keep getting the redirect web page with the "Upgrade your browser...." content and cannot get beyound it.  I just installed Opera too as it was the only browser on the list I did not have.  It went to the same redirected page when I went to xfinity.com.  Checked Chrome, Edge, IE 11 again and still get the same redirect page.  Firefox works but not as well as Edge used to.  I should be able to use any of the browsers mentioned by the Xfinity  upgrade your browser page and I can't.

Frequent Visitor

OK, I think the web page content about upgrading my browser led me down a false path of updating browsers and cleaning history/caches to fix what appeared to be a web page problem.

In general, I was able to access internet pages but I came across 1 or 2 I used that gave me a different error message that relate to the initial part of the xfinity page about security issues.  One these pages, I got "Can't connect securely to this page  This might be becaues the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings.  If this keeps happening, try contacting the website's owner" using Edge and IE 11.  I got a different message "  This site can't be reached.  XXXX unexpectedly closed the connection.  Try:  Checking the connection, Checking the proxy and the firewall, Running Windows Network Diagnostics" for Chrome and Opera.  Opera provided a little more content suggesting things to try.

This led me on on a different internet search,  which did not fix the problem but led me to things to check.  I ran the Newtwork Diagnostics from Settings with not problems.  I also checked Internet Options from settings, looking under Advanced tab, then scrolling toward the bottom to confirm that Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 were all checked.  They all were.

Since it seemed to be related to the network security, I tried going to Settings/Network & Internet and at the bottom was Network Reset.   I ran that, restarted the computer as required and that seems to have reset what ever was causing the problem with all these browsers.  (at least for today).  I will advise if the fix fails to last. 

Frequent Visitor

Posted too soon.  Problem is back with the xfinity page indicating I need to upgrade by browsers.

Official Employee

Hello @R_Check, I'm sorry to hear that this concern is still ongoing on your end. I would be more than happy to further troubleshoot this on my end. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@terb, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! It's upsetting to hear that you are also experiencing this same problem and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may be causing. Please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different for assistance. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

Official Employee

Hello all, I never received a private message from you or heard back from you on here, so I will be locking this thread. Please send me a PM if you still need assistance with this redirected web page message concern. Please create a new Public post for any new issues or concerns, we're here to help. Thanks and we appreciate you choosing to have Comcast as your service provider.