Community Forum

Update Your Xfinity Email POP Port Settings

Frequent Visitor

Re: Update Your Xfinity Email POP Port Settings

Rebop2015, I figured you're chances of updating Outlook 2003 would be slim to none, just wanted to point out something you may not have been aware of. Your situation is dicey given that only 1 of 7 of your accts don't work. I would say you're right that it's not likely an Outlook or IE update issue, sounds more like an acct config issue. But I'm sure you've checked the acct and matched its config to your working accts, which kind of sets your issue apart from most. Maybe the acct's config data was corrupted, might be worth temporarily disabling the acct and creating a new acct using the same config info, if you can do that in Outlook.

Peggy, all I can suggest is to see if you're using a secure connection (TLS/SSL). When I switched from port 110 to 995 that option was disabled by default, I had to tic a checkbox to enable it.

Good luck to both of you.

Regular Contributor

Thanks. Doubtful its any settings. It worked until a day ago. Only changes are pop server names and additions to hosts file.

Regular Contributor

Someone posted in another thread to use 96.118.148.71. Not sure where that was found as the server appeared to be 96.118.148.77. But it works. Throws a certicate message which I allowed and here we are. For a few days at least until they break it again with no notice Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Let me correct that. I had tried 96.114.157.77 as that is what shows when pinging pop3.comcast.net. Unsure where the other user found that IP address.

Regular Contributor

OK. Got rid of the Certificate Error by adding this to my hosts file then using pop3.comcast.net as the pop3 server:

96.118.148.71 pop3.comcast.net
96.118.148.71 mail.comcast.net

Working - for now.

New Poster

Thanks.  I found that as well....and fixed the problem.

Frequent Visitor

I have Outllok 2003 also and stopped being able to retrieve messages
last Wednesday night.

Did the changes you made to the POP server (adding the IP address)
help?

Anything else you learned that might be useful?

Comcast Tier 2 tech support  basically told me I'm SOL and to call Microsoft.  Yeah right.

Regular Contributor

Gotta love tech support, eh?

Did you change to IP address for pop3 server? Did it work port 995? If so, add as I have a above to the hosts file then go back to pop3.comcast.net and it all should work with no certificate error. If not, you have some setting wrong.

New Poster

I used the instructions on the Xfinity website including changing the port settings.
New Poster

I was using a pop3. I had to change port settings.
Frequent Visitor

This is a follow-up to my other posts on this thread.  I am, for now, sticking to the less confusing, and working, 

pop3.ge.xfinity.com
.  My other settings, including the port number 995, are not changed.
Posters on this thread using local hosts file workarounds could be in for additional rude surprises if Comcast makes even relatively gentler changes than the one causing all this trouble.