Community Forum

Update Your Xfinity Email POP Port Settings

Frequent Visitor

Re: Update Your Xfinity Email POP Port Settings

Rebop2015, I figured you're chances of updating Outlook 2003 would be slim to none, just wanted to point out something you may not have been aware of. Your situation is dicey given that only 1 of 7 of your accts don't work. I would say you're right that it's not likely an Outlook or IE update issue, sounds more like an acct config issue. But I'm sure you've checked the acct and matched its config to your working accts, which kind of sets your issue apart from most. Maybe the acct's config data was corrupted, might be worth temporarily disabling the acct and creating a new acct using the same config info, if you can do that in Outlook.

Peggy, all I can suggest is to see if you're using a secure connection (TLS/SSL). When I switched from port 110 to 995 that option was disabled by default, I had to tic a checkbox to enable it.

Good luck to both of you.

Regular Contributor

Thanks. Doubtful its any settings. It worked until a day ago. Only changes are pop server names and additions to hosts file.

Regular Contributor

Someone posted in another thread to use 96.118.148.71. Not sure where that was found as the server appeared to be 96.118.148.77. But it works. Throws a certicate message which I allowed and here we are. For a few days at least until they break it again with no notice Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Let me correct that. I had tried 96.114.157.77 as that is what shows when pinging pop3.comcast.net. Unsure where the other user found that IP address.

Regular Contributor

OK. Got rid of the Certificate Error by adding this to my hosts file then using pop3.comcast.net as the pop3 server:

96.118.148.71 pop3.comcast.net
96.118.148.71 mail.comcast.net

Working - for now.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks.  I found that as well....and fixed the problem.

Frequent Visitor

I have Outllok 2003 also and stopped being able to retrieve messages
last Wednesday night.

Did the changes you made to the POP server (adding the IP address)
help?

Anything else you learned that might be useful?

Comcast Tier 2 tech support  basically told me I'm SOL and to call Microsoft.  Yeah right.

Regular Contributor

Gotta love tech support, eh?

Did you change to IP address for pop3 server? Did it work port 995? If so, add as I have a above to the hosts file then go back to pop3.comcast.net and it all should work with no certificate error. If not, you have some setting wrong.

New Poster

I used the instructions on the Xfinity website including changing the port settings.
New Poster

I was using a pop3. I had to change port settings.
Frequent Visitor

This is a follow-up to my other posts on this thread.  I am, for now, sticking to the less confusing, and working, 

pop3.ge.xfinity.com
.  My other settings, including the port number 995, are not changed.
Posters on this thread using local hosts file workarounds could be in for additional rude surprises if Comcast makes even relatively gentler changes than the one causing all this trouble.

New Poster

These instructions do not work for Outlook in Office 365 Home.  Plus the free Norton Secutiry software offered by Comcast does NOT support IMAP, only POP.  I am constantly having to monitor my own spam folder and I cannot find any anti-spam application that supports IMAP.  How does Comcast monitor spam for customers on its end?

I need some guidance on how to configure for POP in Outlook in Office 365 Home.

New Poster

Re: Updates to your email settings are needed

I have Outlook in Office 365 Home.  I tried this multiple times.  These directions do not apply to Outlook in Office 365 Home.  Plus, the Norton Security software package offered for free by Comcast DOES NOT WORK with IMAP email.

New Poster

Quick question:  what anti-spam app do you use for IMAP? 

The free Norton app offered by Comcast does not support IMAP, so I am constantly having to monitor my junk mail folder.

New Poster

There's a surprise, lol.

My Dad dropped Comcast/Xfinity for his internet and TV service, but was able o carry his Comcast.net email over to AT&T (Why he's using them idk, because they are horrible) and now he can't access his e-mail at all even though he has been able to get his e-mail up until a couple weeks ago.  Multiple calls to CS and Techs have not resolved the issue.  At this point I told him just to get a Gmail account and set it up on Outlook.

(Edited)

Official Employee

Hello @dkbyers, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! You're correct, Comcast does not support Office 365 Home, I apologize about any confusion we may have caused. As far as the Spam concern, I would have to refer you to reach out to our CSA (Customer Security Assurance) Team for further verification on that. I would be more than happy to further look into your Dad's email concern. In order to do so, can you please send me a Private Message, including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name as well?  

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message". 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@dkbyers, I have not heard back from you in our private message or on here, so I will be closing our conversation. Please be sure to send me a private message if you still need assistance with this email concern. Please create a new Public post for any new issues or concerns, we're here to help. Thank you and we appreciate you choosing Comcast as your provider. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Updates to your email settings are needed

I have been having issues with Xfinity email since last year. I am NOT calling again. I am past FED UP!  I do not receive all email, both from friends or businesses with my bills. I have no idea how many I am not receiving. I received a letter from a friend in both another state & another country asking why I don’t respond.  I cannot receive password code verification when paying bills on-line & this is a HUGE problem not knowing I have a bill due and cannot receive a code to log into their website. In addition,  I cannot send an email to my Gmail address. I get a permanent Daemon Failure in Xfinity Mail. 

Contributor

Xfinity email ongoing issues

No. I don’t use a 3rd party. For the 50th time, I do NOT RECEIVE ALL EMAILS! I have friends that have sent me letters from other states & Europe asking why I don’t answer emails. I do not receive all bills and do not receive a code to verify. In addition, I cannot send email to my Gmail address. I get a permanent Daemon failure 

Frequent Visitor

I'm also seeing that with friends of mine who have moved from Comcast to VZ. They can send mail (or at least it appears that one of them is reporting connecting to the mail server although he hasn't verified if his mail got to it's destination) but hasn't received any mail from Comcast Outgoing server for almost 4 weeks now do to server timeouts, same thing when he tries to enter email setting on his Comcast acct. which is still accessible.  He said he was told by Tier 2 that his email acct. had been rest and he should be able to recive mail in about an hour, but he said he still can connect to the receive smtp server. I think Comcast is systematically doing this because he tells me that no matter who he talks to or how long he spends tring to get resoltion, all he gets is hollow promises and a lot of running around. It appears that Comcast is trying to thin out non-customer email users. Out of morbid curiosity searching the web on the subject brings up a plethora of posts on the subject and issues getting email from Comcast... I was curious and just checked the former customer email support policy and it still says good standing 90 days before leaving service and usage within 9 months will maintain full access. The nine month rule makes sense and understandable, but not receiving email through Comcast for over 4 weeks is not understandable. Something very wrong is going on thats for sure and Comcast does appear to be very eager to sort it out unfortunately. It appears to blatant. Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

The post you removed was a real eye opener for me.

Why are comcast paying customers paying for past customers to have unlimited access to their comcast e-mail account forever?

It makes since to have a reasonable grace period (6 months to a year) to migrate away from your comcast e-mail address - but this poster said he left Comcast 6 years ago! And then has the nerve to complain that he is not receiving his e-mails.

You need to change your policy so us paying customers don't have to pay for those who went to Verizon, et al. Maybe you would not have to raise your rates every 3 months like you are currently doing.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I agree with that too. 6 years without usage. Smiley Happy I thought 6 months was more than fair, but Comcast gives 9 months without activety before they absolete email accounts and I can't fault them for that. What's that old saying, "use it or lose it"... These issues with refused server connections (timeouts)  to the outgoing email server to get mail when you use it regulary is a VERY serious issue. I just got off the phone with Corporate. I contacted the Director Charlie this morning about the problem and he hooked me up with a nice high level gal who sounds like she is determined to get to the bottom of this issue because she completely understood something isn't right, shocked actually and the issue is quite simply two systems on the Comcast network using different email accounts can send and receive, but when one of then goes on another ISP the outgoing server is blocking connection to send outbounds AND block former users from accessing email management from the accounts page that's adversely affecting quite a few folks who were good customers who still regularly use their Comcast as their primary address. She agreed that if Comcast is doing something on the sly that she's unaware of that they (corporate) should give the courtesy of making an announcement via email that they are discontinuing supporting non-customer email accts. within 60-90 days so they can make arrangement to switch to Gmail or whatever they decide to use for email. My hopes are that some Net Admin goofed and thers  nothing nefarious going on from a security standpoint.

Regular Visitor

- you actually don't "agree with me".

I want Comcast to explain why they are allowing non-comcast customers to use their e-mail servers and @comcast.net e-mail accounts without being a customer.
I think allowing leaving customers a grace period of 6-12 months to change all their e-mail addressses is a good business practice. But I disagree with allowing them to indefinitely use the equipment and @comcast.net e-mail address when they are no longer paying customers.
Why? It adds traffic to equipment and increases rates for those who are paying customers. If you want to receive you @comcast.net e-mail then remain a paying customer!

This world has gone nuts.
Frequent Visitor

@MLM59 wrote:
- you actually don't "agree with me".

Ahhh, I misunderstood you. I can see that point as view as well. There must be a reason they decided to do that years ago, because folks moving to Vz are still being instructed to do so. Could be some high level understand between Comcast and other ISPs, plus it saves them work when folks come back after Vz or Hughes start gauging their rates to unreasonable amounts as they are now. <Edited> Current rates they are charging are abscene so folks do the flip/flop for more reasonable rates.  I have several other permanent email accounts on the net as backups to incompetence and nsanity.<Edited>

Contributor

> Why are comcast paying customers paying for past customers to have unlimited access to their comcast e-mail account forever?

My guess is that Comcast has dreams of becoming another Gmail.  Dream on.