Community Forum

Unable to access California DMV website

Frequent Visitor

Unable to access California DMV website

Every time I try to access this website I get the following error

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN 

I use 3 devices , smartphone,tablet,computer and different browsers 

Chrome,Firefox, microsoft edge.. no matter what device no matter what browser I still get this error. I have no problems at all accessing any other website it is only the California DMV website.

Contacted the DMV they researched and found no problems on their end. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated this is very puzzling.

Expert

Re: Unable to access California DMV website

For starters, please post the exact URL that you are using.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry but I thought my post was public...

The url I'm trying to reach is dmv.ca.gov

If I didn't post public how do I  ?

Thank you

Expert

@mistowize wrote:

I'm sorry but I thought my post was public...

The url I'm trying to reach is dmv.ca.gov

If I didn't post public how do I  ?

Thank you

The signature in the box in EG's post is issued to all customers in the forum with Expert status.    Yes you did post publicly.  So you are  good.  For what it's worth, I just copied  and pasted  what you posted into my browser search bar (Firefox, Windows 10) and got right onto the California DMV site with no problem.  I am in Michigan.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

I can reach the site as well. When one customer cannot reach a site but others can, it usually means the site is blocking that customer's public Comcast IP. You can look up your IP at https://www.google.com/search?q=IP. You'll probably need to ask the site's admins for help with this.

What does a trace to dmv.ca.gov show? In Windows, open a Command Prompt window, enter

tracert -4 dmv.ca.gov

and post the output. Mine looks like:

C>tracert -4 dmv.ca.gov

Tracing route to dmv.ca.gov [107.162.129.29] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1  51 ms  11 ms   8 ms router1 [192.168.1.1]
2 25 ms 24 ms 17 ms 96.120.9.181
3 25 ms 24 ms 16 ms te-0-6-0-0-sur02.york.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.68.57]
4 25 ms 24 ms 16 ms 96.110.24.214
5 25 ms 18 ms 17 ms 96.110.25.65
6 25 ms 26 ms 27 ms be-34-ar01.mckeesport.pa.pitt.comcast.net [69.139.168.141]
7 47 ms 42 ms 44 ms be-7016-cr02.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.91.25]
8 42 ms 38 ms 41 ms be-10142-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.34]
9 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms ash-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.149.64]
10 31 ms 32 ms    *       f5networks-ic-341208-ash-b1.c.telia.net [62.115.169.205]
11  31 ms 33 ms 33 ms 107.162.79.1
12 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms 107.162.129.29

Trace complete.

Frequent Visitor

I tried doing the tracert but to no avail...nomatter how many times or ways I typed it into cmd it keeps saying tracert - 4 is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. I must be putting it in wrong but can't figure how.

Gold Problem Solver

@mistowize wrote: ... tracert - 4 is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. ...

What Windows version are you running? At a Command Prompt, enter "ver" and post the output. Mine looks like:

C>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.615]

Do you have a space after "tracert" and before the hyphen? If you are entering "tracert-" or "tracert-4", with no spaces, that won't work.

Frequent Visitor

I've found interestingly by using the AT&T internet on my phone I'm able to get onto the DMV site with no problem. I was using Comcast Wi-Fi before on my phone, but thought why not turn off my cell Wi-Fi and see what I could do. 

So after all my devices using Comcast connection and different browsers won't let me get onto the site seems to be a Comcast issue you'd think.

Try explaining this to tech support they don't know what I'm talking about, don't blame them it's really weird..where to put blame, where to look who knows. I'm at a loss .

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@mistowize wrote: ... using the AT&T internet on my phone I'm able to get onto the DMV site ...

When you switch Internet providers your IP address also changes. It's further evidence that the site is blocking your Comcast public IP. Comcast isn't blocking you, the DMV's webhost is. You would need to have that site's admins fix the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Talked to the techs at DMV,  they told me " they don't deal with ip addresses" beyond their 

capabilities....hmmmm but their site blocks  addresses....interesting. They told me just use my phones AT&T internet.  That's real solid advice don't bother to fix it just forget about it.

Thank you tho for all your help,  guess I've hit a wall . 

Gold Problem Solver

@mistowize wrote: ... guess I've hit a wall .

If you are using your own modem and a separate router, you can use the router's "clone MAC" feature to change your public Comcast IP.

If you are using a Comcast rental gateway, you'd have to swap out the device to change your IP, or put it in bridge mode and add a separate, standalone router.