Community Forum

Thunderbird suddently cannot connect to imap.comcast.net

Frequent Visitor

Thunderbird suddently cannot connect to imap.comcast.net

Having been using Thunderbird as my email client on my Ubuntu laptop for several years with no issue. Two days ago I started getting 'Thunderbird failed to connedt to imap.comcast.net'.  Cannot get new mail and cannot send mail.  Web interface, and my Android show no problems. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Thunderbird suddently cannot connect to imap.comcast.net

I have the same problem since 11/30/18. I keep geting imap.comcast.net not responding. I use Thunderbird e-mail client. It was working fine. I use it for multiple e-mail accounts and the other accounts works no problem. Did comcast changed the server sign in credentials? I hate using webmail. Comcast needs to fix this. I don't like to call their tech support because the are clueless.

Expert

@none wrote:

I have the same problem since 11/30/18. I keep geting imap.comcast.net not responding. I use Thunderbird e-mail client. It was working fine. I use it for multiple e-mail accounts and the other accounts works no problem. Did comcast changed the server sign in credentials? I hate using webmail. Comcast needs to fix this. I don't like to call their tech support because the are clueless.

What version of T-bird are you using?  I have a Comcast account enabled in v52.6.0 (64-bit) and it seems to work just fine for both incoming and outgoing messages.  I'm on a Mac at the moment, but I doubt that makes any difference.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Same here since 11/30, Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Linux.  imap.comcast.net not responding, can't send email from Thunderbird either.  Webmail shows intermittent message at bottom of screen saying Server Not Responding.

Gold Problem Solver

@EdStevens wrote: ... Thunderbird as my email client on my Ubuntu ...

Does https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Error-The-connection-to-remote-server-imap-email-co... help? I don't run Linux, so I can't test this.

Frequent Visitor

Thunderbird 60.2.1 On Linux Ubuntu LTS 14.4 So, as I stated before, the other imap accounts are still working fine on the same install. It's the comcast account that all of a sudden stoped working. My 1and1.com imap works just like before. I made no changes to any of my account settings before it stoped working. I will try later tonight if my home Win7 install is borked or still good. 

Frequent Visitor

Oops. It's actually Ubuntu Mate 14.4 LTS (64Bit). The Thunderbird install is also 64 bit.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, this worked for me Thunderbird 60.2.1. on Ubuntu Mate.

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2406399

See #23
Have to change the imap.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com

Frequent Visitor

BruceW,

Yes, that led me to the resolution - change the imap server name to imap.ge.xfinity.com.

Seems this issue is discussed in two threads on this forum (This and the one you linked to), on the mozilla forum, and the Ubuntu forum. So apparently it is pretty widespread, but totally off-the radar for Windblows users.  (I'm semi-retired from a career in IT, and avoid Windows every chance I get - which is why my personal laptop is Ubuntu.)

Frequent Visitor

I know your pain. I have 2 pc and 2 laptops all dual booting Linux. I try to spend as little time as I have to in Windows. Some software I use unfortunatly have no Linux alternative. My wife is a registered tax prepairer and accountant. She has to use Windows. Just started on Win10 and I am not looking forward to support her computer.

New Poster

imap.ge.xfinity.com worked for me also!