Community Forum

Synchronizing mobile email with xfinity email account accessed via Computer

New Poster

Synchronizing mobile email with xfinity email account accessed via Computer

How do I synchronize my email boxes that I access via my phone and the one I access via my home computer?  I read my emails vial my mobile device most of the time. However, there are times when I need to log into my comcast email account via my home pc.  When I log into my comcast email account via my home pc all the emails that I have read and deleted via my mobile device are still in my comcast emial inbox when I log into emial via my home pc.  How do I update my settings so that when I read and delete an emial on my mobile device the email will not be present when I log into my email account via my home pc?

Expert

Re: Synchronizing mobile email with xfinity email account accessed via Computer

You didn't say what mobile device you have, but all you need to do is make sure that the mail app on the mobile device, and the client on the PC are both configured using the IMAP protocol.  Most mobile device mail apps and desktop clients will now auto-configure Comcast accounts using IMAP as they are IMAP compliant by default.  What client are you using on the PC?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have the same problem.  When I delete an email on my iphone it is still there when I look at my iPad or my computer (iMac).  I don't know what you mean by IMAP protocol.  Can you do a step by step explanation for dummies.

Expert

@rgh47 wrote:

I have the same problem.  When I delete an email on my iphone it is still there when I look at my iPad or my computer (iMac).  I don't know what you mean by IMAP protocol.  Can you do a step by step explanation for dummies.

There are two protocols available for use that allow you to enable an email account in a desktop client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or Mac Mail.  The same applies if you enable the account in whatever mail app comes with your mobile device, which also acts as a client.  The older one of the two is POP3---or "Post Office Protocol".  The other is IMAP, or "Internet Mail Access Protocol".  POP goes back to an earlier time when most people only had one desktop or laptop computer.  There is no syncing among devices, as POP3 only works on the Inbox folder.  IMAP is the later program, and if you have your account enabled on one computer or device, it will sync with any other device with the same account enabled on it.  

Here is a good explanation----------------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!