Community Forum

Spam Filtering not working

Contributor

Spam Filtering not working

Hi,

I have been getting tons of spam in my Xfinity Connect (web) Inbox on and off for the past couple mos.  It is clearly spam, the usual "male enhancement",  Canadian drugs, etc. kind of stuff with strange fonts in the subject line.  I have checked under Email Advanced Settings, and Spam Filtering shows enabled.  I tried disabling and re-enabling, but that hasn't helped.  Opened a ticket with Comcast, and received calls from foreigners who think I am unable to get any email, and attempts to clarify/explain to them were unsuccessful and resulted in callbacks late at night.  Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Terry

Expert

Re: Spam Filtering not working

All you can do yourself is to mark them as Spam when they get to the Inbox folder.  It helps to "train" the filters, and it can take time to do that.  Other than that, you could try calling Comcast security and see if they can tweak your account-------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Sorry, but the embedded Spam filter doesn't seem to "learn" as individual emails are moved to the Spam folder.  I've been told this before and I simply don't see any improvement.  And FWIW ... all 3 of my email addresses have been getting TONS of spam emails over the past month or two, much more than ever in the past.

Contributor

@milehiguy,  thanks for your response.  I also have seen a rapid deterioration in the capability of Comcast spam filtering this year.  If this isn't resolved, I am seriously considering switching my primary email service (currently Comcast) to GMail.  This is ridiculous, and looking at the forums, apparently a problem for a lot of people.  Glad I'm not trying to run a business with it, that would be a deal-killer.

Contributor

You may have the SPAM filter turned on but for 90% of SPAM like you describe it will not catch them, nor will it learn about them.  Why? Because if you exam the SPAM's you are receiving you will most likely find that the From sender is a different valid email address on each one - even if its a repeat subject from the day before.  Because the spammers are impersonating what appears to be valid email addresses I believe that the Comcast SPAM filter does not have the level of sophistication to sort thru them.  If you have the time and energy you can analize what you are receiving and create a custom filter to weed out the majority of them.

New Poster

I haven't noticed that the spam filter has ever worked.  I'm thinking that I have some malicious cookies in Chrome, but I haven't found a way to delete them despite many deletions of my browser history, cookies, etc.  Is it possible that Comcast has a virus?  

The cookies I cannot delete are:

.adnxs.com - anj
.adnxs.com - uuid2
.adnxs.com - icu
.adnxs.com - usersync
.advertising.com - ACID
.advertixing.com - C2
.advertising.com - IDSYNC
.amazon-adsystem.com -ad-id
.amazon-adsystem.com - ad-privacy
.atdmt.com - AA003
.atdmt.com - ATN
.casalemedia.com - CMDD
.casalemedia.com - CMID
.casalemedia.com - CMPRO
.casalemedia.com - CMPS
.casalemedia.com - CMRUM3
.casalemedia.com - CMSC
.casalemedia.com - CMST
.criteo.com - uid
.demdex.net - DST
.demdex.net - demdex
.demdex.net - dextp
.dotomi.com 0 DitinUser
.doubleclick.net - DSID
.doubleclick.net - IDE
.facebook.com - c_user
.facebook.com - datr
.facebook.com - dpr
.facebook.com - fr
.facebook.com - pl
.facebook.com -spin
.facebook.com - wd
.facebook.com - xs
.facebook.com - sb
.krxd.net -_kuid_
.linksynergy.com - icts
.linksynergy.com - rmuid
.opennx.net-i
.opennx.net-p_synced
.opennx.net-pd
.opennx.net-univ_id
.outbrain.com-_ofcap_DOC1
.outbrain.com-apnxs
.outbrain.com-obuid
.outbrain.com-obuidt_2854fd8766d7
.quantserv.com-mc
.outbrain.com- rktfl
.rfihub.com - eud
.quantserv.com-d
.rfihub.com - rud
.rfihub.com - ruds
.rubiconproject.com - audit
.rubiconproject.com - khaos
.rubiconproject.com - put_1512
.rubiconproject.com - put_1986
.rubiconproject.com - put_2132
.rubiconproject.com - put_2243
.rubiconproject.com - put_2249
.rubiconproject.com - put_2307
.rubiconproject.com - put_2974
.rubiconproject.com - put_3378
.rubiconproject.com - rpb
.rubiconproject.com - rsid
.rubiconproject.com - ses2
.rubiconproject.com - vis2
.scorecardresearch.com - UID
.scorecardresearch.com - UIDR
.serving-sys.com - A6
.serving-sys.com - ActivityInfo2
.serving-sys.com- U2
.spotxchange.com - audience
.spotxchange.com - opt.out-0
.tribalfusion.com - anon_id
.turn.com - uid

Any suggestions?

Contributor

@flyboy2 thanks for the reply. Comcast was trying to get me to create a filter but a) couldn’t understand her b) thought it was per person. I can see how doing it for a domain or similar would work. Thanks for the tip!
Contributor

Also, how is it that none of my other email services, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. don't seem to have this problem??  I never had this issue with Comcast until this year.

Contributor

So, looking at the headers I see a common server among many of them, no-mans-land.m247.com.  I created a filter where I said if envelope contains no-mans-land.m247.com, move to Spam.  Is this the correct way of doing it?  

Thanks all,

Terry

Regular Contributor

@TerryG1 wrote:

So, looking at the headers I see a common server among many of them, no-mans-land.m247.com.  I created a filter where I said if envelope contains no-mans-land.m247.com, move to Spam.  Is this the correct way of doing it?  

Thanks all,

Terry

Terry, I have several filters setup on all 3 of my email addresses.  Your filter may very well work, and be a better method than mine, but I typically use "Header" as the condition versus "Envelope".  For instance, in the first screen grab below you'll see that for the Header named "Return-Path" you could check to see if it contains the substring ".nl".  Or for the "Received" header, you could check for substrings "dovdir4" or "dovpxy", etc.  In the second screen grab, you'll notice that in the past couple of days I've trapped 8 spam emails that Comcast's embedded Spam filter didn't catch.  Notice my Filtered folder.  I created this folder for the sole purpose of verifying whether or not my filters are working.  In my filter's actions, I first move the email to Filtered, then move to Spam, then Discard (unsure if this is necessary).  This way, I get duplicates for anything trapped.  If/when Comcast's embedded Spam filter catches something, it will naturally only move it to the Spam folder.  Anyway, hope this makes some sense.  As they say, YMMV ...

6A1AECCC-B895-4EC9-B0DD-4F1F25DAC344.jpeg
F0B59DD5-B3D6-4312-862C-57476529C363.jpeg
Contributor

@milehiguy Thanks for the suggestions, that's awesome! I tried searching Internet and Xfinity for advanced filtering techniques, but nothing.  So it sounds like you need to identify the different sections in the header, then what you are looking for in that header?  I've only seen/heard of message source or message header, so not even sure what Envelope is. 

Also I like the suggestion for the Filtered folder.  I assume you use that to review before committing to Spam.  Do you manually move them to Spam after that then?

Thanks again!

TG

Regular Contributor

@TerryG1 wrote:

@milehiguy Thanks for the suggestions, that's awesome! I tried searching Internet and Xfinity for advanced filtering techniques, but nothing.  So it sounds like you need to identify the different sections in the header, then what you are looking for in that header?  I've only seen/heard of message source or message header, so not even sure what Envelope is. 

Also I like the suggestion for the Filtered folder.  I assume you use that to review before committing to Spam.  Do you manually move them to Spam after that then?

Thanks again!

TG

Reference the new screen grab below, which shows a filter I've setup for any email with the substring ".nl" in the header named "from".  1 condition, 3 actions.  If the condition is satisfied, the offending email is moved to both folders, Filtered and Spam, then discarded.  I have a separate filter setup for Romania (.ro) and others that are more complicated with multiple conditions.  I check once/week or so to see what I've caught.  Now, you'll note that in my condition here I'm examining the header named "from", yet in the first screen grab of my previous reply the header containing the ".nl" substring is named "Return-Path".  I set this rule up about a year ago.  Can't explain why it still works, but it must be since several of the 8 emails that were filtered recently were probably caught by this Netherlands filter.  I may actually edit this rule and change the header I'm examining from "from" (!) to "Return-Path", since that's what the email source is now showing.  Anyway, all you can do is experiment with it to learn the nuances.

BFBBBE40-FB0B-4D78-AA5F-C62DB04D4F5B.jpeg
Contributor

@milehiguy Excellent, thanks.  I was going to ask if you could post one of your rules, so I appreciate that.  If my method works, it would require slightly simpler rule.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

T

Contributor

So that's an AND of the rules I think?

Regular Contributor

@TerryG1 wrote:

So that's an AND of the rules I think?

Not completely sure I understand ... in my example there is only 1 condition so specifying AND or ANY wouldn't matter.  I think when first creating a new rule, the default is AND.

Contributor

Yep, I get it. Just wondering if you can change that All vs. Any? All would imply logical AND, and Any would imply a logical OR, so that's what I meant, sorry.  I just saw you can also add "Nested conditions" which would allow you to add All/Any conditions (AND/OR).  Thanks!

TG

New Poster

My Comcast spam filter stopped working about 10 days ago (10/6/18). All sorts of nonsense is coming into my inbox. I called Comcast. They told me to check if the spam filter was off (by...magic?). Of course, the spam filter is on. I have been marking them as spam but it's not letting up. I see the solution others offered (thank you). But really, it seems complicated and I pay Comcast a lot of money. Seems like they need to fix it.

New Poster

I've been having the same problem for a couple of weeks now, too. My spam filtering is and always has been on, so why is Comcast not weeding these emails out? Do I have to go through each spam message to set up specific spam filters? If so, I'll be doing that all day!!

Contributor

That’s what I did, as others have done also. You’d be surprised that you can catch a majority of them with a rule for just a few domains. Of course a new one has come along now and then but it’s working better than Comcast’s filtering. I don’t have this trouble with my other large email providers at all!
New Poster

I've added the common domains to filter the massive spam I've been getting over the past couple of months and it's done very little to help.  I continue to get spam from the domains that I have filtered.  I started with rejecting the emails but that didn't work, so now filtered to have them moved to my spam folder.  Even that hasn't helped.  I manually move them to my spam box, but the system hasn't learned which ones to automatically move.  Any suggestions?

Contributor

>I've added the common domains to filter the massive spam I've been getting over the past couple of months and it's done very little to help.  I continue to get spam from the domains that I have filtered.  I started with rejecting the emails but that didn't work, so now filtered to have them moved to my spam folder.  Even that hasn't helped.  I manually move them to my spam box, but the system hasn't learned which ones to automatically move.  Any suggestions?

You know that filtering will not stop the sender from sending the email.  Its like someone knows your phone number, they can call it till you change it.  The purpose of the filter is to redirect unwanted emails automatically to another location, like the SPAM folder.   Also Spammers constantly change the email address so filtering by domain is usually not a good solution for a real spammer, it works best to get rid of email lists you are on, but that's usually not spam.  So question a couple of questions:

1)  For the domains that you are filtering is the filter working? what action is the filtering performing?  If you believe it should work post a copy of the filter here for others to look at.

2) Does the spam you are trying to eliminate always use same domain within the email address?

New Poster

I am getting a huge amount of spam in the recent month or so.  10 times more than valid email.  The spam filter does not learn.  Xfinity should be able use algorythms to identify spam before it hits our  mailboxes.  They respond that the spammers change their from email addresses - that's been true for years.  Xfinity is not using newer, smarter spam filtering appliances.  They also respond they can't stop spammers from writing to us - true.  What we want is for Xfinity to stop delivering the mail to our inbox.  Other email systems do not have this issue becuase they manage it.  Does anyone get this much spam at work?  I doubt it.  Your IT team is taking care of it.

Contributor

After getting tired of creating new rules for each domain, I just created a "master" list of domains that I am rejecting.  I just had to add a couple more over the weekend.  I tried one using the Header, but I have found that just using the Send/From option works adequately.  Also note that I selected the "Apply rule if any condition is met" option at the top.  This will ensure all of those rules are processed.

I also did as Flyboy2 suggested, created a personal Filtered folder and moved them there first for verification, then you must manually move them to Spam.  Otherwise you could just move them directly to the Spam folder and verify them there.  Here's what mine looks like:

Capture.JPG

Contributor

From the following link, "By marking an email you are not automatically blocking the sender, but it will be moved to your Spam folder. While this should re-route any future emails from that sender to your Spam folder, it is possible that you may still receive some emails from the same domain in the future. If you want to automatically block email from a certain email address or domain, you can set up an email filter  (learn more about setting up spam filters and blocking emails)."

...which is why you need to create an email filter for domains.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking

Frequent Visitor

I have had a comcast email for 20 years.  Not once in that time has ANY email gone to spam.  And yes, my spam filter is always on.  A few months ago I must have gotten hacked as I started receiving hundreds of emails every minute.  I immediately called Comcast who was completely useless in helping me.  I ended up having to create filters - took awhile but eventually it stopped.  Last Friday I started getting crazy spam again.  I woke up Saturday morning to 1600 emails.  I subscribed to the "unsubscribe" site and started placing all of them in there. Unroll me does not work with Comcast in case anyone was wondering. Unsubscribe now has 25 pages with 50 sites listed on each page so has been successful in getting rid of 1250 of the unwanted sites.  No point in using the spam folder since it doesn't work.  I once again created more filters - I now probably have over 400 filters in my mail.  By Monday the incoming was down to 315.  This morning it was 130 - it's sad when your happy that your spam is down to that.  

Anyway, I noticed that several of my filters are not working.  I use the "Send/From" and for instance the rule is anything with .uk and .com.uk.  I am still receiving emails with that end so I'm wondering if there is something I am doing wrong.  I have it set to match "any" part not "all" as I want it to catch as much as possible.  Should I be using something different than "send/from"?

Highlighted
Expert

Once you are on the spammer's lists, there is no way to stop them sending emails to you.  You do need to keep the Spam filters enabled in your settings.  Can you clarify------have you been clicking on the "unsubscribe" links in any of these emails?  if so, that is an open invitation to get more junk thrown at you as it tells the spammers they have found a "live" email address.  Using your own filters usually has little or no effect, as the spammers are constantly finding ways to circumvent them.  It is a constant game of whack-a-mole.  

There is always the nuclear option as a last resort-------------you can change the email address.  That depends on how much inconvenience it would cause you of course.  You should find these of interest--------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

You could also call Comcast security and ask them to look at your account to see if they can do anything for you--------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Latoque - thanks for the reply.  No - I have not been unsubscribing myself.  All of these are actually legit sites and Blogs (ugggh) so I am using the service "unsubscriber".  This has helped dramtatically.  Throughout the day now I am only getting about 5-10 per hour.  

The majority of my filters are working.  It was definitely not instantaneous but seem to be working slowly.  When I get something suspicious I add a new filter.  I also did as one person suggested using the header to try and rid the one that kept coming so I'll see if that works.

I have had my email address since 1998 - so changing it would be a ROYAL pain as I am involved with large groups for different organizations.  

Going from 1600 to 315 to 130 to hopefully less tomorrow should tell me how everything is going.  The majority come in overnight so clearly the filters are doing something or I'd still be getting 1600 overnight.  

It's just extremely frustrating that comcast has no easy way of taking care of these issues.  The last time I called was a complete joke.

Contributor

I didn’t quite catch the unsubscribe comment either, thanks for clarifying.

I think Comcast allows 5 email addresses per family so you could create an alternate email address quickly and easily. Although I don’t know why anyone would want to. 😆. I’d consider pulling the plug on Comcast email address altogether and just using a Gmail account if I had that much spam. I think you’re right, this person is getting that much spam by using the unsubscribe option. I’ve always understood the same thing, you are just acknowledging to them that you exist and are inviting even more spam.
Contributor

Deepbark, i would open the header, and look at a) received-from b) reply-to c) the very last/first entry from the Comcast servers showing who/where it was received from. If a and b are nonexistent, jibberish, or empty then I use the domain from c. That almost always works.

Oh and I am using the same settings as you otherwise. Good luck!
Frequent Visitor

This may sound like a stupid question but how do you open the header????

Contributor

In the Xfinity Connect web page, select the spam message, click on the hamburger (furthest right icon in the actions bar), select view source.

Otherwise just google how to view email headers in whatever email app you’re using.
Regular Contributor

@deepbark wrote:

This may sound like a stupid question but how do you open the header????

View Source ... ref. screenshot

8AEB9809-8927-43F4-B9C1-376AFBD1A522.jpeg

Frequent Visitor

Found it!  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Happy to report that this morning there were only 17 emails in my in box!  Four of which were legit.  The others I moved to my "unsubscribe" box.  I believe between that application and my filters the issue may finally be resolved.  Thanks for the help.   I may have to go through my filters to ensure I'm not filtering out anything that I actually should be getting but I don't believe so!

Contributor

So that's your answer? So what you're saying is comcast spam filters don't work. Why have them if they don't work? I have set 10 filters probably over the past 3 months for bounces@coachple.com. I wished I would of known they were just for show and I would of found another way. 

Frequent Visitor

Johhhhhhnnn 

I don't think there is a real answer.....besides switching email service (which for me is a royal pain).  This morning I had 13 emails from places I had clearly not subscribed to - they are not the "usual" spam - just sites I don't use.  I seriously don't understand what someone can possibly gain from doing this.  They honestly need to get a life.  The "unsubscriber" application simply adds an unsubscribe box to you list of boxes.  I drag the ones I don't want into there and they take care of the rest.  It is the only applicatoin that works with comcast emails.  And it is working.  I have over 1600 sites in there.  Is it the perfect solution?  Definitely not - comcast actually having a service that works woudl be ideal, but at least I am down to 13 in the morning (from 1600).  I don't believe it will ever go away 100% but for now it'll do.

Contributor

Dude, since you have Contributor status, you must realize that none of use work for Comcast, right??  We are fellow subscribers trying to find a workaround for what Comcast is clearly failing as an ISP.  *I* was the one who started this original thread complaining about the issue to begin with.  If you have a better solution, by all means, poney up!  Sheesh.

Contributor

@deepbark Glad to hear it’s working for you. It’s working well for me also.  So a shout out to @milehiguy for the solution and help.

I’d recommend checking your Spam folder periodically because I am finding legit emails I was expecting in there.  It’s possible my filters are causing it, but i think it’s Comcast misdirecting them.

TG

Contributor

Oh well pardon me. I won't post any more in YOUR thread. "sheesh"

Contributor

Where do you find the “unsubscribe” service?

Frequent Visitor

The unsubscribe service is www.getunsubscriber.com

Contributor

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

TerryG1 - nothing EVER goes to my spam folder - never ever has.  The spam filter is on but it has never worked - not in the 20 years I've had comcast email.  Even if I mark items as spam it never recognizes it later.  So there is nothing to ever check.  

Frequent Visitor

The email address' domain don't match the company's domain. Should be added to filter protocals. 

New Poster

If you say we,as customers, have to train the Comcast Spam to work... why is it Gmail doesn't need this customer involvement?
Expert

@Wire-EDM-guy wrote:
If you say we,as customers, have to train the Comcast Spam to work... why is it Gmail doesn't need this customer involvement?

Gmail does have the exact same function.  Look in the toolbar in your Gmail-------------------

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.53.49 PM.jpg

New Poster

Hi, thanks for your time and answer. I realize gmail has a spam button on the toolbar. But my point is, if I get say an email with the title "Uber" , I will never see anything "Uber" in my inbox. If I open my Gmail "Spam folder " I will see many from that point on.
I know you're saying theyre coming from different addresses, but I don't see that with Gmail.
Expert

@Wire-EDM-guy wrote:

Gmail has far more users than Xfinity Connect.  So, tons are reporting spam and training Gmail's spam filters, which is why a lot of that stuff goes to spam and you don't see it.  But, what one person sees as spam, another might not.

Contributor

@Again wrote:

@Wire-EDM-guy wrote:

Gmail has far more users than Xfinity Connect.  So, tons are reporting spam and training Gmail's spam filters, which is why a lot of that stuff goes to spam and you don't see it.  But, what one person sees as spam, another might not.

Your are right about the number of users, but not the training statement.  These Spam items are all:

1)using different email addresses that are created just for that burst of Spam

2) using imbedded HTML links with domains that have been very recently created and redirect to another site - this is called link obfuscation.

It takes some really good programming analysis to identfy these.  No matter of training in their present system is going to eliminate or identify much spam - it takes some logic that is more than repeat pattern analysis.  They need to get into the contents and start scanning the raw source and look for inconsistencies like ) faked original sender email address, HTML contents that have recenty been registered less than a day or two.  And any number of other things that the experts at Google and Microsoft do to keep their  stuff clean.

I use MS Outlook as a client to get my Comcast email.  I am always amazed how the simple Outlook desktop client will identify SPAM that Comcasts lets pass thru.  Comcast just isn't putting the resources into their email system to make it better, remember its free and not a revenue center for them - at least as far as I can see.

Most Valued Poster

It appears that Comcast spam filters are once more not working at all.  This happened a few months ago but thankfully had stopped but now all of a sudden I am getting  tons of spam in my inbox. I have not changed anything in my settings,etc.  Most of them are about home improvement items and insurance. I don't go to websites about any of that so I did not 'prompt' these. I mark them as spam, block them as junk but it doesn't stop them.