Community Forum

Sent Email Errors

Contributor

Sent Email Errors

My wife is having a problem with her some of her emails sent to new recipients.  It doesn't seem to happen with those she regularly communicated with.  When she send an email the recipient sees something other than her normal email address firstname.lastname@comcast.net.  The see instead  

outlook_35AE3C49A9CF6477@outlook.com.  So when they responds the return bounces back to them saying invalid email address, undeliverable.  I know this because if I'm copied on her sent email I receive the return and see instead of her email see the one above.  Her email is setup on Outlook (MSOffice 365) as an IMAP acount.  

Any ideas on what is going on?

thanks,

Expert

Re: Sent Email Errors

It sounds like she has the strange address set up as her "reply-to" address in Outlook for the Comcast account.  So have her check the settings for that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks Latoque but no I already checked that.  I thinking there may be something more nafarious going on.  A few months back someone was able to hack the account add a user name to divert email password changes ext.  I found it and was able to delete the user name, change passwords and turn on 2 step verification to prevent access.  I scanned for viruses, rootkits, etc. but have found nothing.  The  outlook_35AE3C49A9CF6477@outlook.com email doesn't seem to go anywhere since it isn't seen as a legitimate email.  I've contacted echsupport for outlook and they can't find anything.  Am at a loss to know wht to do next.

thanks, 

Expert

@Anon454706 wrote:

Thanks Latoque but no I already checked that.  I thinking there may be something more nafarious going on.  A few months back someone was able to hack the account add a user name to divert email password changes ext.  I found it and was able to delete the user name, change passwords and turn on 2 step verification to prevent access.  I scanned for viruses, rootkits, etc. but have found nothing.  The  outlook_35AE3C49A9CF6477@outlook.com email doesn't seem to go anywhere since it isn't seen as a legitimate email.  I've contacted echsupport for outlook and they can't find anything.  Am at a loss to know wht to do next.

thanks, 

Next question----------does this also happen if you use only the webmail interface and your browser instead of going through Outlook?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

She says she never uses the web based email.  I'll have her try, but it will be hit or missed since it doesn't happen every time

Expert

The error is suggesting that the return address is an outlook.com address.  You say this is set up as IMAP, but is it set up on an exchange server?  Residential email doesn't use Microsoft Exchange, but business does.

Contributor

The email is set up in outlook along with another business email which is on an exchange server.  the comcast email is just that set up as IMAP not POP.  The email in question outlook_35AE3C49A9CF6477@outlook.com

is not a valid email when I try to log in to microsoft the error message is 'not a valid email'

MS says it is a comcast issue not an outlook issue.

Expert

@Anon454706 wrote:

The email is set up in outlook along with another business email which is on an exchange server.  the comcast email is just that set up as IMAP not POP.  The email in question outlook_35AE3C49A9CF6477@outlook.com

is not a valid email when I try to log in to microsoft the error message is 'not a valid email'

MS says it is a comcast issue not an outlook issue.

As stated before residential email does NOT use Microsoft Exchange server, but business email does.  If you're a business customer you need to be posting in Business class, this is for residential services.

Contributor

The comcast account is not a business account, it is a personal account. So I am in the correct place.

Expert

@Anon454706 wrote:

The comcast account is not a business account, it is a personal account. So I am in the correct place.

Okay.  However, the account can't be configured as an Exchange account.  I suggest removing the account from Outlook and setting it up again to see if that solves the issue.

Contributor

There is something fundamentally wrong with the account.  Not only is her email sometime received with a garbled from email but emails sometiem are not received until hours after they are sent or not received at all.  I doubt very much if setting the account up outside of outlook would help.