Community Forum

Scheduling deletion of emails

New Poster

Scheduling deletion of emails

I want emails to be deleted automatically after 90 days.  I thought I had seen it but now can't find it/

Expert

Re: Scheduling deletion of emails

Assuming you are using only the webmail interface and your browser, the only two folders with deletion schedules are the Spam and Trash.  In all other folders emails should remain indefinitely until you delete them.  The older Zimbra email format had deeltion schedules you could change, but the newer Appsuite does not.  If you are using a desktop email client or a mail app, those might have adjustable schedules.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@Latoque wrote:

Assuming you are using only the webmail interface and your browser, the only two folders with deletion schedules are the Spam and Trash.  In all other folders emails should remain indefinitely until you delete them.  The older Zimbra email format had deeltion schedules you could change, but the newer Appsuite does not.  If you are using a desktop email client or a mail app, those might have adjustable schedules.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been relying on that old feature that is not available so my box just keeps growing. If Comcast is listening, please note that scheduled email deletion is very important especially to those of us who get a few hundred emails a week.

Expert

To help with your situation, I would suggest that after you read a message in the Inbox, you drag and drop it to a folder you create under "My folders" in the left folder pane.  Then you could just delete them using any arbitrary schedule you like.  It would also cover you if you decide later that you need something from that folder.

That said, keep in mind that when you delete a message it goes to the Trash folder for
 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  And once it drops out of Trash it goes to the "Dumpster" for another 30 days where it will still be recoverable.  That feature is available by right-clicking on the Trash folder.  You will see the option to "Recover deleted items".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks, Latoque. That seems like a reasonable way to do it, but it's still kludgy.

By the way, I wore a toque for many years in my younger days.