Community Forum

SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018

@flyboy2 wrote:

>My filters trap about 4-5 of them, Comcast's spam filter traps about 2-3, and the rest fall through the cracks to my Inbox.  My question is ... how does Comcast's spam filtering interfere with my defined filters?<

I'm pretty sure Comcasts SPAM filter processes before User Filters.  So they only interfere in the sense if they catch something you wanted to have passed thru for subsequent processing.   I wish User Filters were first, thus User Filters could be used to help avoid the False Positives that sometimes originate from the Comcast Spam filter.  Because of this I keep the Comcast Spam filter turned off and rely on my User Filters.

Makes perfect sense, thanks. 👍

Frequent Visitor

I too, now Feb 2019, am deluged with spam! Why???

Regular Contributor

Since February 20, I have received a deluge of spam (14 emails, 8 of them yesterday alone), all of them being sent via mail servers in the Netherlands (.nl). 

I have been moving them to the Spam folder as they arrive, but Comcast is still not recognizing them.

Contributor

@edwardp wrote:

Since February 20, I have received a deluge of spam (14 emails, 8 of them yesterday alone), all of them being sent via mail servers in the Netherlands (.nl). 

I have been moving them to the Spam folder as they arrive, but Comcast is still not recognizing them.

Me too, I am getting the same ones - been hit pretty hard. I wish Comcast would provide an option to not recieve emails from Foreign countries.  I have been putting stuff in Spam folder for over a year - their process doesn't work.

Contributor

Same here. I only use it for my personal email. Now I am deluged with spam. keep it up Comcast. A customer since the 80's has had it with you on every level.

@kherren wrote:

I agree something is defintely changed or broken recently. I never got more than 1-2 spam emails in a month now I am getting 10-12 per day and these are so obviously spam any primitive spam filter could easily identify it. I have been forwarding them to missed-spam@comcast.net as well as marking them as spam in the web email interface but even doing that I get a duplicate spam even after adding it to the spam box. I guess we are stuck until someone important at Comcast notices.

Contributor

They don't HAVE to do anything except keep you on the phone for hours, transferring from one department to another, never resolving anything, no one knows anything, assure you your issue will be given top priority, give you a name and employee number. Then when of course nothing is done, the name and number they can't access,  or do the same on chat until (surprise!) You lost contact with the server. Been with them since the 80's. Enough is enough. Even taking screenshots of chats do nothing. I don't doubt the spam is BECAUSE of them. 

@justjena wrote:

This is incredibly frustrating.  I have also been with Comcast for so many years and all of a sudden get so much spam, I can keep up.  I put in spam folder but it still comes.  I try to also unsubscribe to everyone, but there is way too much now.  COMCAST has to help here.

New Poster

I did "unsuscribe" to one and that's when the spam problem started.

Contributor

@lc341 wrote:

Never use the Unscribe option from an unknown sender - NEVER!  All this does is verify a valid email address and it goes on lists and is sold and past around. 

Expert

@lc341 wrote:

That's because when you use that unsubscribe link, it tells the spammer they found a "live" email address.  Never, ever, click links in junk mails.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

As the person who started this thread back in October, I should note that I'm using every means available but still fighting the spam.  One thing to note--checking an email and then clicking the "mark as spam" icon never works.  Never.  You have to go into "Settings" and the "Filter" and enter the information that way.  I use every category available to enter the information from the spam email--the sender address (which always changes), subject, content--everything I can.  It's a constant battle, and often still doesn't work.

I spend about 20 minutes every day doing this, and my filter list gets longer and longer and longer.  It helps keep my daily spam down, but it's a constant battle.

And don't bother contacting Comcast/Xfinity.  They're always totally amazed to hear that there's a spam problem out here, and they suggest you try doing what you're already doing.

Contributor

No, no! If you unsubscribe, the spammer knows you viewed it. Move it to spam without opening it. I still can't figure out why this is happening all of a sudden. For years I never got spam in my personal account. I am deluged with it. I ONLY use it for personal correspondence.  I believe Comcast/Xfinity is selling our information for advertising. I don't see any other way that the same thing is happening to so many. I already know they are lying about their television line up. I told them I know they are lying. I can clearly see the channel (s) in question are available to new subscribers with the very basics. Move, upgrade, your contract is up, the channels are gone. Nice way to treat loyal customers that have been with them for decades. 

Expert

@Iam2008 wrote:

No, no! If you unsubscribe, the spammer knows you viewed it. Move it to spam without opening it. I still can't figure out why this is happening all of a sudden. For years I never got spam in my personal account. I am deluged with it. I ONLY use it for personal correspondence.  I believe Comcast/Xfinity is selling our information for advertising. I don't see any other way that the same thing is happening to so many. I already know they are lying about their television line up. I told them I know they are lying. I can clearly see the channel (s) in question are available to new subscribers with the very basics. Move, upgrade, your contract is up, the channels are gone. Nice way to treat loyal customers that have been with them for decades. 

No, Comcast does not share your email address with spammers.  Your address got on a spammer's list somehow, and once it's on one of them it will wind up on others.  There are a lot of ways this could have happened.  See here-----------------

http://www.spamprimer.com/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I so agree and since January it is worse.....I have tried everything......blocking at xfinity included.  Nothing works.  A quarter come in marked as spam and end up in junk, the rest are in my inbox.  For as much as we pay Comcast, surely someone can a) answer why the increase and b) find a way at the Comcast-Xfinity source to stop it.  We certainly pay enough.

New Poster

My experience is that comcast "filter", and/ir sending copies to the missed email addressed not work. Same spam next day. Never on gmail though.
New Poster

I got more than 350 spam emails tonight, so I just switched to gmail as my primary account.

Contributor

I have had the same Comcast email for close to 20 years. I never got spam and don’t use it for on-line shopping, etc for that reason. I now get spam daily. Even if I mark something as spam, I continue to get it in my inbox. I do not open it just in case the senders are able to know so.