Community Forum

SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018

Contributor

SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018

I notice, on this forum, that MANY people are posting about the dramatic increase in spam emails this month (October 2018).  I have noticed it, also, in the last week or two.  I've talked on the phone to Comcast Support and gotten no solutions (I've tried the filter, disabling it and then reactivating it, etc).  I've also tried advanced settings and filtering each individaul spam email, but I can't keep up with the deluge.  They all use different subjects and reply-addresses, of course.  

The Tech Support folks seem to be stymied by this new problem.  Again, I see many people experiencing this issue.  I've gone many years with Comcast and not seen this, and my online habits have not changed.

Is Comcast looking into this to find a solution?

Tags (2)
Expert

Re: SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018

I have 5 Comcast email addresses right now, and only one of them ever has junk mail even get to the Spam folder.  I never get any in the Inboxes.  Spam tends to run in cycles and is a never-ending fight.  You might find this of interest-------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thank you for the articles--good information.  though I noted one part, in particular--

"What does work are good spam filters.

Spam filters work by looking not just at where email comes from, but the nitty-gritty technical details of the email, what it’s about, what it says and how it says, and how many other people are getting that same email message. If it looks like spam, then the email is simply places in your spam or junk mail folder instead of your inbox."

That's just not happening at all.  I do have my filter on, but have to manually move the spam from my in box to the Spam Folder.  None go directly to my spam folder, and the system does not "learn" as described, no matter how many build up.  Perhaps Comcast does not have "a good spam filter?"  

I don't know why you're not affected (yet).

Certainly, judging from other comments, something dramatic has changed in the past week or two but, from what I get from Comcast techs, no one is looking into it.  Unfortunate.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Contributor

I agree something is defintely changed or broken recently. I never got more than 1-2 spam emails in a month now I am getting 10-12 per day and these are so obviously spam any primitive spam filter could easily identify it. I have been forwarding them to missed-spam@comcast.net as well as marking them as spam in the web email interface but even doing that I get a duplicate spam even after adding it to the spam box. I guess we are stuck until someone important at Comcast notices.

Contributor

Yes, I hear you.  I just spent another hour-plus on the phone with the "advanced tech support" in the Philippines.  They had NO idea what to do other than the standard things I've already done and re-done.  They have now referred me to the "engineering department," but I won't be able to talk to them for two days.  In the meantime, the spam is coming faster than ever.

No one at Comcast is paying the slightest attention to the problem--and it's obviously theirs.  I've seen numerous other posts here about the spam problem.  The techs, however, act like they're totally amazed to hear such a problem exists.

I've been with Comcast for 30 years, and this is truly frustrating.  I give them "zeros" every time I get a survey, now--and don't hear from them.

Tags (2)
New Poster

This is incredibly frustrating.  I have also been with Comcast for so many years and all of a sudden get so much spam, I can keep up.  I put in spam folder but it still comes.  I try to also unsubscribe to everyone, but there is way too much now.  COMCAST has to help here.

Expert

@justjena wrote:

This is incredibly frustrating.  I have also been with Comcast for so many years and all of a sudden get so much spam, I can keep up.  I put in spam folder but it still comes.  I try to also unsubscribe to everyone, but there is way too much now.  COMCAST has to help here.

Never use the "unsubscribe" links in garden-variety spam emails.  It's a guarantee you will get more junk mail as the spammers are counting on you to use the link.  It tells them they have found a "live" email address.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Good advice.  I can see why she has tried, though, in that the Comcast spam filter doesn't work at all and we're given no workable solutions.  As for me,  I'll continue moving countless spam emails from my Inbox to the Spam folder--only to get more and more.  I'll wait to hear from the "engineers" on Friday.  I'm sure they, too, will be totally amazed to hear that there's a big problem with this.  

I would start using my Gmail instead (I have yet to get spam there), but it will be a nightmare after so many years with Comcast.  Banks, legitimate accounts, and many others use my current mail--and aren't in my address book.  A shame that Comcast is so impotent and can't handle this.

Tags (2)
Expert

@afohara wrote:

Good advice.  I can see why she has tried, though, in that the Comcast spam filter doesn't work at all and we're given no workable solutions.  As for me,  I'll continue moving countless spam emails from my Inbox to the Spam folder--only to get more and more.  I'll wait to hear from the "engineers" on Friday.  I'm sure they, too, will be totally amazed to hear that there's a big problem with this.  

I would start using my Gmail instead (I have yet to get spam there), but it will be a nightmare after so many years with Comcast.  Banks, legitimate accounts, and many others use my current mail--and aren't in my address book.  A shame that Comcast is so impotent and can't handle this.

Since you already have a Gmail account, you might find this interesting---------------------

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_route_my_email_through_gmail/

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the article.  I'm an oldster, though (72), and don't want to wander off into a variety of new things like POP3, IMAP, and all that.  I always thought my Comcast email would be enough by itself, without have to go through a bunch of end-runs.

HERE is one possible work-around, though, since Comcast seems to be ignoring it.

1.  Go to "Settings," then "Filter Rules."  

2.  Copy ONLY the "top level domain" at the end of the spam email sender's address, after the "dot" (like ".superdeals").

3.  Click "Add a New Rule."  Give it a "Rule Name," then enter what you've copied into the "Add Condition."  

4.  Finally, in "Add Action, " put "Spam Folder."  Click "Save."

Go through your spam emails to identify the common domains being used and do the above with each.  I went through a bunch and found, while they are using different sender-addresses, the .xxx is frequently the same in them.  This is, at least, better than tediously plodding through each and every spam email and trying to filter out the subject or full address.  You still have to do some of the work that the Comcast filter is not doing, but it's better.  Certainly, just moving them to your spam folder, as I've been doing, does not good.   

I notice the spammers rarely use ".com" or ".net," but I found a couple and don't want to filter them.  We may be defenseless against those, still.

Now I'm waiting to see if it actually works.  Comcast, of course, should be picking up on these and "learning from them" when you put them in you spam folder, but they're not--at all.

I'll keep you posted to see if this works.

Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

One of my accounts uses a Safe List for e-mail.

In using that, does it also overide any subsequent rules that are created separately?

Expert

@edwardp wrote:

One of my accounts uses a Safe List for e-mail.

In using that, does it also overide any subsequent rules that are created separately?

When you enable the Safe List, nothing will get to your Inbox except emails from addresses you put on that list.

Contributor

From a post above >I notice the spammers rarely use ".com" or ".net," but I found a couple and don't want to filter them.  We may be defenseless against those, still.<

That is an excellent observation and I will share a Filter I have to stop many of these, you need to adjust this logic based on your needs, especially if you receive emails from foreign entities.  The filter I am using is like this:

Header:  Sender/From

does not contain : .com

does not contain: .net

does not contain .edu

Just add every domain qualifier you use to the does not contain list, others like .gov and any foreign domains you use.  Have the filter move them to your SPAM filter and track it for awhile to make sure its working like you expect.

Contributor

Good one--another answer to this problem.  I hadn't noticed it.  Thanks!  Too bad Comcast isn't working on this.  

Since taking these steps, I've been spam-free all of a sudden, today.  Unfortunately, I asked that the spam be put into my spam folder (I want to be sure) and that's not happening.   I'm guessing they're deleting them, instead.  Just something else that's broken with Comcast's email program.  It's been a mess since they made major changes early this year (their "email interface").  It affected spacing, the email search feature, and probably much else.  

That is an excellent observation and I will share a Filter I have to stop many of these, you need to adjust this logic based on your needs, especially if you receive emails from foreign entities.  The filter I am using is like this:

Header:  Sender/From

does not contain : .com

does not contain: .net

does not contain .edu

Just add every domain qualifier you use to the does not contain list, others like .gov and any foreign domains you use.  Have the filter move them to your SPAM filter and track it for awhile to make sure its working like you expect.

Tags (2)
Contributor

Yep, same here. I discovered 90% of the spam I was getting was coming from 2-3 domains which I added to the filter list. Now I haven't received any spam since 2 days ago but the spam box remains unchanged so nothing has been placed there even though I set it that way. Oh well, at least the spam is stopped. Too bad Comcast couldn't figure this out.

Since taking these steps, I've been spam-free all of a sudden, today. Unfortunately, I asked that the spam be put into my spam folder (I want to be sure) and that's not happening. I'm guessing they're deleting them, instead. Just something else that's broken with Comcast's email program. It's been a mess since they made major changes early this year (their "email interface"). It affected spacing, the email search feature, and probably much else.

Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

My Inbox has been spam-free for most of the week, since adding a Filter Rule.

But I can confirm that using the Safe List, will override any separate Filter Rules that were created.
Contributor

I only got one spam today, and filtered it using the above solution.  The emails still don't go to my spam folder, as requested, so I will keep working on that.

Comcast called me back, and their engineering department is also amazed to hear there's a problem for customers.  I explained our solution and suggested they pass it around so they can tell people what to do when they call.  It didn't sound like they will.

Tags (2)
Contributor

>I only got one spam today, and filtered it using the above solution.  The emails still don't go to my spam folder, as requested, so I will keep working on that.<

If your filter is instructed to move it to SPAM folder how do you know that filter is working if it does not go to SPAM?  If the spam item is showing up in the Inbox the filter probably is not working if the filter action is to move it to SPAM.  To test my filters I create a separate folder named with something that will identify the filter I want to associate with it.  Then I have the filter move a copy of the email to that folder as well as the SPAM folder.   If it shows up in my custom folder that proves that the filter is working.  Later when I have debugged the filter I remove the action to move it to the custom folder and just let it be moved to SPAM.  Note: if you have the Comcast Spam filtering turned on it will process and may move items to SPAM before your custom filters - this can be an area of confusion.

Contributor

If your filter is instructed to move it to SPAM folder how do you know that filter is working if it does not go to SPAM? 

Yeah,  I'm a bit confused on this part.  I'm assuming what I did worked because I'm not getting spam any more.  Problematic.  I may try what you suggest, but in the meantime will keep tinkering with the filter.  When I talked to Comcast this morning, they had no idea (as usual) why it's not working.

Tags (2)
Most Valued Poster

The forum duplicated my reply so I blanked it out since there is no way to delete it.

Most Valued Poster

@Latoque Guess its time to chime in on the dramatic increase in Spam arriving in my inbox.  Normally I get a small and manageable amount that get thru the Comcast filters but in the last week...WOW.  I am now getting dozens a day and the they say 'unknown sender' so there is no 'sender' information  and the message contents are all garbage AND most importantly.........they are  dated currently on Comcast webmail but when I download to Outlook they are all dated Dec 2017 and Jan 2018....HUH?  I have always used Outlook to download and  have not changed any settings in Outlook or Comcast webmail so I have to assume that something inherent in the Comcast filter  is broken. I have read the work arounds but my goodness....it would be almost a full time job to keep up and keep tweaking it and why should we have to do that?  Its apparent that this spam increase is not isolated to a few users.  

I have saved a bunch of them if a Comcast expert would like to see the lack of sender info and here is an example of the garbage content of all the ones with no sender information:

--[(O5HKV1YIQFE5RH4DLE40OWRNQXEHH3VWE2M0TQ8PBT0S0UVRF5HT7Z742RR91CB5K4BK0QZ29QKFQMXVH4FF9SP1P6HWPISZS99JPFB4BLA7XXTL7E67CLERXLECAC28BHH72I1JA1HD40O2KKFMBZJZR317L953HD0P17Z1F65PCZHMQ2ERS3W9DO6ONHHAKNQC1FJ6BULT09LG1PDZY0E1EQG7Y3OOX4QOPGK60BPQQ0CYVGNJ68RQOX3S6H7TR3769XIGFDWV3ZJ4LDUHRBD5E64AU1ABANOARWWWGIX9NNKYQ4L7LOI51SLLJL20FWGWZ2I5ALK4YU8E40RVEGQLY2COT5

New Poster

We have 5 comcast accounts and all are being infiltrated with spam - at least 15-20 per day per account! I've had to set filters on each one. As soon as I've set the rules (I use "contain any"), the spammers send from a different email address (including .com and .edu). I'm at a loss as what to do. For my minor children, I've set rules about no emails regarding "CBD, Keto, Harder Longer, limp, etc." but those are still making their way in. It's obnoxious.

Does anyone know if I can disable an account (but keep old emails)? I was thinking of disabling for a week to see if these spam emails stop. 

Contributor

@kt15 wrote:

We have 5 comcast accounts and all are being infiltrated with spam - at least 15-20 per day per account! I've had to set filters on each one. As soon as I've set the rules (I use "contain any"), the spammers send from a different email address (including .com and .edu). I'm at a loss as what to do. For my minor children, I've set rules about no emails regarding "CBD, Keto, Harder Longer, limp, etc." but those are still making their way in. It's obnoxious.

Does anyone know if I can disable an account (but keep old emails)? I was thinking of disabling for a week to see if these spam emails stop. 

You can probably move all the emails into a folder. Then delete one of the emails and create a new one - then move all the stuff from the folder to the new one and then delete the rest.  But before you do that consider this. 

Using Sender/From to eliminate Spam is not very effective for the reason you stated above.  Its takes a bit more effort to create effective filters.  Spend some time and examine the Spam you are receiving - use the View Source capability and see if you can find a common item in the Header of the Spams.  Look at all the Header fields, Return-Path and others.  Is there a common item in those.  If so use a filter to catch those.  Sometimes this will also cause good emails to be caught - if that is the case you can add a condition in the filter to ignore email addresses that should not be caught.  A lot of work. 

Most Valued Poster

@flyboy2 wrote:

@kt15 wrote:

You can probably move all the emails into a folder. Then delete one of the emails and create a new one - then move all the stuff from the folder to the new one and then delete the rest.  But before you do that consider this. 

Using Sender/From to eliminate Spam is not very effective for the reason you stated above.  Its takes a bit more effort to create effective filters.  Spend some time and examine the Spam you are receiving - use the View Source capability and see if you can find a common item in the Header of the Spams.  Look at all the Header fields, Return-Path and others.  Is there a common item in those.  If so use a filter to catch those.  Sometimes this will also cause good emails to be caught - if that is the case you can add a condition in the filter to ignore email addresses that should not be caught.  A lot of work. 

==============

I found nothing in common when comparing the email sources so I didn't even attempt to try a filter and chase it around. 

Contributor

The problem is we shouldn’t have to creating complex filtering rules to figure be these obvious spam messages. Comcast should be updating their spam filters to catch these.
Most Valued Poster

@kherren wrote:
The problem is we shouldn’t have to creating complex filtering rules to figure be these obvious spam messages. Comcast should be updating their spam filters to catch these.

AMEN to that!  We should not have to do one thing.  Supposedly its Comcast that is supposed to filter the spam and something has gone terribly wrong.  I don't understand why no Comcast rep has joined the conversation. Surely they are aware that the spam has gone off the chart. 

Expert

@kt15 wrote:

You can suspend an account.  Sign into your Primary, then click on "My account" at the top of the page.  Under "Users" you should see all the secondaries.  To the right click on "Edit" and you will see the option to suspend or delete that account.  As for the kids, you have the option to use the "Safe List" in their account.  Using that, the only emails that should get through are from contacts you deliberately put on that list.

I have 5 Comcast email addresses now in two states.  I never get spam in them except for one of the secondaries;  it may get one or two every week, and those go to the Spam folder, not the Inbox. 

Contributor

I have 5 Comcast email addresses now in two states.  I never get spam in them except for one of the secondaries;  it may get one or two every week, and those go to the Spam folder, not the Inbox. 

I was in exactly the same boat as you for about 30 years with Comcast--only an occasional spam email.  Something clearly happened with the system (I still believe it was the "upgrade" they did earlier this year) that opened the floodgate for many of us. 

I'm glad you've been lucky so far!

Expert

@afohara wrote:

I was in exactly the same boat as you for about 30 years with Comcast--only an occasional spam email.  Something clearly happened with the system (I still believe it was the "upgrade" they did earlier this year) that opened the floodgate for many of us. 

I'm glad you've been lucky so far!

Spam is a vile beast.  Even though I never get much in the Comcast accounts, I can't say the same for my Yahoo and OUtlook.com accounts, which get truckloads of junk thrown at them.  Fortunately, their spam filters are able to keep it out of the Inbox, and it goes to the Spam folders.  But then I have to sort through it all to look for false positives every other day.  You might find this of interest if you already have a Gmail account--------------------

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_route_my_email_through_gmail/

Contributor

But then I have to sort through it all to look for false positives every other day.  You might find this of interest if you already have a Gmail account--------------------

Thanks for the article.  Again, a list of confusing steps one has to go through for protection.  "Use Gmail to handle email from almost any email address."  "You will need to know the POP3 settings." "Enter the SMTP information given by the provider."  "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail."  ""Enable POP and IMAP settings."  On and on.

Ridiculous!!!   COMCAST, with their world-wide staff, "technicians" "engineers" and huge profits, should be working on this--not individual customers.

Comcast called me regarding a "zero" survey I submitted about their email.  They said (for the second time) that they would "pass it on to Corporate."  I don't know what that means--and I don't believe "Corporate" cares a WHIT about what we're going through out here.  

Tags (2)
Contributor

I just received an email from Comcast, asking if I my "problem had been solved."  It gave me an option of answering, "Yes," but not "No."

The problem is with Comcast, of course, and their failure to apply their ingenuity and resources to solving the problem we're having out here.  I thought they were leaders in the industry.  So no, the problem isn't solved--not by a long shot.

Fortunately, we customers (here) have come up with some "partial fixes" that reach a very limited audience, and that's not enough. 

Most Valued Poster

@afohara wrote:

I just received an email from Comcast, asking if I my "problem had been solved."  It gave me an option of answering, "Yes," but not "No."

The problem is with Comcast, of course, and their failure to apply their ingenuity and resources to solving the problem we're having out here.  I thought they were leaders in the industry.  So no, the problem isn't solved--not by a long shot.

Fortunately, we customers (here) have come up with some "partial fixes" that reach a very limited audience, and that's not enough. 

==

You may have already shared this but can you tell us who you contacted at Comcast about this problem and how you reached them? I called about the spam and they gave me all sorts of basics which I already knew about but no help offered or escalated. I knew that calling tier one would not help but I did it anyway just to prove it to myself.

Contributor

You may have already shared this but can you tell us who you contacted at Comcast about this problem and how you reached them? I called about the spam and they gave me all sorts of basics which I already knew about but no help offered or escalated. I knew that calling tier one would not help but I did it anyway just to prove it to myself.

I received an email survey asking my experience with Comcast.  As a 30-year customer, I answered it and gave them a big "zero." I then received a phone call asking about that response--I don't know the name or number of the person who called me. 

I understand your experience.  Before now, I have talked to several "Support" people, and I've been referred up to their "Technical Support" and then up to their "Engineers."  They all acted totally amazed at hearing there's a spam problem for many users, had never heard about it, and had no idea what to do (other than what you mention--check the filter box, etc, etc).

After performing all the steps I previously mentioned, I now have only a few slipping through.  Most are now going to my spam folder.  I'm holding my breath!  I don't know if Comcast actually did something for my account or, more importantly, if they're doing anything for customers as a whole.

Tags (2)
Most Valued Poster

@afohara wrote:

I received an email survey asking my experience with Comcast.  As a 30-year customer, I answered it and gave them a big "zero." I then received a phone call asking about that response--I don't know the name or number of the person who called me. 

I understand your experience.  Before now, I have talked to several "Support" people, and I've been referred up to their "Technical Support" and then up to their "Engineers."  They all acted totally amazed at hearing there's a spam problem for many users, had never heard about it, and had no idea what to do (other than what you mention--check the filter box, etc, etc).

After performing all the steps I previously mentioned, I now have only a few slipping through.  Most are now going to my spam folder.  I'm holding my breath!  I don't know if Comcast actually did something for my account or, more importantly, if they're doing anything for customers as a whole.

----------

Thanks for that! I am a 30+ year customer as well.  The few times I have had an issue escalated by cust svc and given a ticket number I have only had success once. My spam has slowed down and I didn't make any new filters or change anything so I hope it has settled down for all of us.  Oh how I wish I would get that survey!!!! 

New Poster

Flyboy2: Hoping you can help me as I'm learning as I go. 

For example, I see the following in the View Source: 

Return-Path: <bounce-mc.us7_20797027.207073-mpalmer28=comcast.net@mail61.atl31.mcdlv.net>

Wondering if the following filter rule will work:

Conditions

Header     Name: Return-Path

Contains: mail61.atl31.mcdlv.net

Actions     

Move to folder: Spam

A bunch of spam has this same Return-Path, but a batch of other spam has a totally different Return-Path. It's almost as if when I set the filter, they figure out a new way in!

Contributor

@kt15 wrote:

Flyboy2: Hoping you can help me as I'm learning as I go. 

For example, I see the following in the View Source: 

Return-Path: <bounce-mc.us7_20797027.207073-mpalmer28=comcast.net@mail61.atl31.mcdlv.net>

Wondering if the following filter rule will work:

Conditions

Header     Name: Return-Path

Contains: mail61.atl31.mcdlv.net

Actions     

Move to folder: Spam

A bunch of spam has this same Return-Path, but a batch of other spam has a totally different Return-Path. It's almost as if when I set the filter, they figure out a new way in!

That filter will definitely catch the ones with a Return-Path matching your contains.  As you mention if they change the addresses you end up chasing your tail.  Look at the other header fields of the ones you are getting (I ignore Received, too many and complicated) and see if there is something in common.  For example one I have had some success with was header User-Agent:

User-Agent: Mozilla/7.10 (X11; Linux i686; rv:39.1322) Gecko/201100103 Thunderbird/39.101.

Filter is User-Agent contains Mozilla, contains Linux, contains Gecko

None of my good email has this construct and I regularly filter a bunch using this one.  Your situation and mileage may vary.  Look for headers in common and try to use those rather than email addresses.  Also note, you may find that a given filter will catch a lot of Spam but also traps something you want.  The way arround this is to add "does not contain" email address of good email.  Hope this helps.

New Poster

I am also experiencing a high volume of unwanted spam mail from all parts of this planet.  One morning I awoke to find over 3,000 spam emails in my regular email.  The faster I tried sending them to spam the faster new ones appeared.  After several weeks of this I continue to have to manually move these emails to spam.  Support said I should look at my settings.  I did, I still get loads of mail from all over, many with languages inChinese, Japaneze, German, East European, etc.  I am tired of it and now must delete this account that I was happy with for so many years.

FRUSTRATED.

Contributor

Comcast should have an option to reject all email originating from foreign entities.  That would be quite useful to a number of folks.

Regular Contributor

An option to delete foreign emails, likely will not work. All of the spams I've received, have been from .com domains.
Contributor

You,re right - wont get them all, but will get some and its an easy thing to implement.

Contributor

The bottom line is Comcast spam detection is woefully inadequate and they don’t seem to notice or care. I now have to maintain an ever growing spam rule filter. As soon as I can find an alternate internet provider I’ll be moving on!

Frequent Visitor

Out of 14 new email this morning 10 were spam, what is going on. I am used to one or two a month not a few dozen a day. Do any employees read these posts? What canbe done?

Contributor

@sgossman2 wrote:

Out of 14 new email this morning 10 were spam, what is going on. I am used to one or two a month not a few dozen a day. Do any employees read these posts? What canbe done?

Read some of the above discussion and suggestions.  No one knows why users get hit with these sudden surges, and, unfortunately, you have to do a lot of it yourself (Settings/Filter).  Lotsa luck.

Expert

@sgossman2 wrote:

Spam tends to run in cycles.  Once you are on one or more spammer's lists, there is no way to keep them from sending to you.  You should find these of interest---------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Contributor

I am also a 30 year Comcast customer.  I'll add my experience.   Since Comcast does NOTHING, I have turned off spam filtering because it interferes with filters.   And, I have been adding new filters almost every day.   I currently have about 50, but I have virtually stopped spam.   I still get one or two a week.   I ignore the sender email address entirely because they are either stolen or made up and they change.   I enter the Sender/Subject, examples:  Silver-Singles, zippy loan, Roofing Survey, Wells Fargo, ZenDeals, crepe erase, and then _Crepe_Erase- when they changed it, lyft, linkedin, Evite, MemberSurvey-Customer Satisfaction, etc...   Then I direct them to the Spam folder.   If I'm convinced that it is working correctly, I change that to Discard so that I never see them and the spam folder doesn't get too full too soon.   You can't kill 'em all.   Good luck.

Contributor

>

I am also a 30 year Comcast customer.  I'll add my experience.   Since Comcast does NOTHING, I have turned off spam filtering because it interferes with filters.   And, I have been adding new filters almost every day.   I currently have about 50, but I have virtually stopped spam.   I still get one or two a week.   I ignore the sender email address entirely because they are either stolen or made up and they change.   I enter the Sender/Subject, examples:  Silver-Singles, zippy loan, Roofing Survey, Wells Fargo, ZenDeals, crepe erase, and then _Crepe_Erase- when they changed it, lyft, linkedin, Evite, MemberSurvey-Customer Satisfaction, etc...   Then I direct them to the Spam folder.   If I'm convinced that it is working correctly, I change that to Discard so that I never see them and the spam folder doesn't get too full too soon.   You can't kill 'em all.   Good luck.<

Thats exactly what I do also.  I have found this much more effective than their filter - as you said turn their filter off because its just interferes and also gets more false positives than good ones.

Frequent Visitor

Me too.

undoubtedly, something changed, and Comcast needs to improve their filtering because I might flag something as spam but get identical content keyword (and yes, I’m looking closely) every single day.

what we need to be able to do is flag by HTML on the server so it never even makes it into our inboxes... (is there a way to do this now?)

Contributor

what we need to be able to do is flag by HTML on the server so it never even makes it into our inboxes... (is there a way to do this now?)

Unfortunately no - I have asked numerous time to have the ability to have User Filters scan the raw source.  Email is not a revenue center for Comcast so I suspect they dont put much effort into improving it.

Regular Contributor

@jabelt wrote:

I am also a 30 year Comcast customer.  I'll add my experience.   Since Comcast does NOTHING, I have turned off spam filtering because it interferes with filters.   And, I have been adding new filters almost every day.   I currently have about 50, but I have virtually stopped spam.   I still get one or two a week.   I ignore the sender email address entirely because they are either stolen or made up and they change.   I enter the Sender/Subject, examples:  Silver-Singles, zippy loan, Roofing Survey, Wells Fargo, ZenDeals, crepe erase, and then _Crepe_Erase- when they changed it, lyft, linkedin, Evite, MemberSurvey-Customer Satisfaction, etc...   Then I direct them to the Spam folder.   If I'm convinced that it is working correctly, I change that to Discard so that I never see them and the spam folder doesn't get too full too soon.   You can't kill 'em all.   Good luck.

Like you, I've been with Comcast since before they were even Comcast.  The sudden increase in spam (going back 2-3 months) to one of my three addresses has become a daily headache, an extra chore added to my To-Do list every single day.  I take the same approach as you describe above, except that I've probably created even more filters than you have.  Most are filtered by Subject, but others are by From/Sender and the header Return-Path.  When I trap a spam email with any of my filters, I move it to a personal folder I've created called "Filtered".  The main difference between your approach and mine is that I also have Comcast's spam filtering turned on.  Each day I get about 8-10 spam emails to this address.  My filters trap about 4-5 of them, Comcast's spam filter traps about 2-3, and the rest fall through the cracks to my Inbox.  My question is ... how does Comcast's spam filtering interfere with my defined filters?

Contributor

>My filters trap about 4-5 of them, Comcast's spam filter traps about 2-3, and the rest fall through the cracks to my Inbox.  My question is ... how does Comcast's spam filtering interfere with my defined filters?<

I'm pretty sure Comcasts SPAM filter processes before User Filters.  So they only interfere in the sense if they catch something you wanted to have passed thru for subsequent processing.   I wish User Filters were first, thus User Filters could be used to help avoid the False Positives that sometimes originate from the Comcast Spam filter.  Because of this I keep the Comcast Spam filter turned off and rely on my User Filters.