Community Forum

SMTP server refuses my connection

Frequent Visitor

SMTP server refuses my connection

Any idea how to resolve the following issue. I have a Comcast..net email account. I can log in to the webmail system, but when using Thunderbird email client I have been getting refused connection for the last couple of days. No change to (correct) settings which have been working for ages.

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: resomta-ch2-12v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-12v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available.

My question is: To whom would I ask to have the issue corrected? I tried on line chat and all I got was a useless "new bot". I don't see any means of openng a trouble ticket and I hate to bvother a live agent if I can avoid it. Ideas?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: SMTP server refuses my connection

If @CCAntiSpam or another employee doesn't respond here in the Forums, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Bronze Problem Solver

@buybeach It looks like you have a device at home (on your SBCGlobal link) that has the wrong password and is attempting thousands of times to send messages.  If you're unsure of what it might be, send me a PM, and I'll see if I can get some additional information.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

It is certainly possible, either because I failed to reconize that something in the house has my older password or due to some malware of which I am unaware. But how do I send you a personal message?

Expert

@buybeach wrote:

It is certainly possible, either because I failed to reconize that something in the house has my older password or due to some malware of which I am unaware. But how do I send you a personal message?

Click on @CCAntiSpam's name in his post and then on Send a message on the right side of his profile.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Issue resolved.

New Poster

What was the solution? I'm having the same issue.

Bronze Problem Solver

@bberman_bates I've responded to your PM with some information that I hope helps.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Frequent Visitor

Apparently I had a mobile phone setup issue. I seem to be OK now. I thank you for your kind help.

New Poster

I have had the same issue for months intermittently.  Can you give me ore info as to how to identify the device causing the authentication failures?

Kent

Bronze Problem Solver

@kentstannard I'll send you a PM to give you some information

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Issue was resolved as far as I know. Was result of a setup error on a mobile device which I seldom actually use for emails, however it was polling the account unbeknownst to me and since it did not return any kind of error to my attention I did not recognize that the phone was creating failed login attempts.

Frequent Visitor

In my case the issue was a cell phone which I had failed to reprogram when password was changed on this account. I never recogniozed that it was trying to log in with old crddentials, thus causing account to be blocked for security reasons.

@kentstannard wrote:

I have had the same issue for months intermittently.  Can you give me ore info as to how to identify the device causing the authentication failures?

Kent

New Poster

I am having the same issue, but it seems to be time related as well.  I am able to send email before 9am and after 4pm.  This started about a week ago. I am using Thunderbird, and I have not had my phone connected to my Comcast email account.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  

Official Employee

@vanc3b 

Sending you a PM to get more information

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I too have this issue.  When I attempt to send an email I get this 

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-po-15v.sys.comcast.net resomta-po-15v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support.