Community Forum

Re-associate a Secondary User Email to a different Primary Email Account

New Poster

Re-associate a Secondary User Email to a different Primary Email Account

I have two Comcast Xfinity accounts at two different service locations (in different states).  I want to take an existing Secondary User Email that was created under one account and transfer it to the other account.  I have been using this Secondary User Email for years and do not want to lose all the folders I created and all the messages that I have saved in those folders.  I may be selling the property and cancelling the service account that currently has this Secondary User Email.  So, I would like to move it to the service account at my home that will continue to have Comcast Xfinity service.  When I called 1-800-Xfinity and spoke with a rep, I was told the only thing I could do is delete it and then add it, but that might lose all the saved messages.  Not a good option.  Any technical advice for transferring Secondary User Email without losing messages?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Re-associate a Secondary User Email to a different Primary Email Account

@GaVaBob wrote: ... I was told the only thing I could do is delete it and then add it ...

Don't do that! When you delete an email ID it is put on hold for 90 days, and you can't get it back. And any folders and emails are deleted.

You need Comcast help to do this. If an employee doesn't reply here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to assist. You can give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory response.

Expert

@GaVaBob wrote:

I have two Comcast Xfinity accounts at two different service locations (in different states).  I want to take an existing Secondary User Email that was created under one account and transfer it to the other account.  I have been using this Secondary User Email for years and do not want to lose all the folders I created and all the messages that I have saved in those folders.  I may be selling the property and cancelling the service account that currently has this Secondary User Email.  So, I would like to move it to the service account at my home that will continue to have Comcast Xfinity service.  When I called 1-800-Xfinity and spoke with a rep, I was told the only thing I could do is delete it and then add it, but that might lose all the saved messages.  Not a good option.  Any technical advice for transferring Secondary User Email without losing messages?

Even if you cancel service at the second location, you can keep the email accounts, including any secondary accounts active as long as you sign into them periodically.  See here for the details-------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/using-email-only
See also---------------

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-activity

Also keep in mind that you can add those accounts to your other ones by using the mail-fetcher feature in Appsuite.  It's in the left folder pane of any Comcast email Inbox page.  That way you can manage the others kind of like using a desktop client.  Click on "Add mail account" to see it.  It's very similar to the same feature found in other email providers like Gmail or Outlook.com

And I'll second BruceW on this:   DO NOT delete or change the accounts.  There is no reason to do so in order to keep them in service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks.  That is what I'll do if necessary.  I actually did that before for about a year to keep the email accounts active until I got Comcast service again.  I made sure to login every couple weeks (if no activity for 30 days, they may delete).  It's always possible they could change the terms of service and drop that option in the future or I could neglect to login one month.  So, for peace of mind, it would be nice to get it associated with an active account.   But, thanks again for the info.  That may be what I have to do.

New Poster

Thanks.  No, I won't delete.  And, I will probably try again to get some deeper technical expertise from Comcast.  The security team is a pretty good idea - they seem to be sharp, and even if they don't handle it, they should be able to get me to folks who can (or who will confirm is just is not possible to transfer secondary users like that).  Thanks again.

Expert

@GaVaBob wrote:

Thanks.  No, I won't delete.  And, I will probably try again to get some deeper technical expertise from Comcast.  The security team is a pretty good idea - they seem to be sharp, and even if they don't handle it, they should be able to get me to folks who can (or who will confirm is just is not possible to transfer secondary users like that).  Thanks again.

When you read the information at the links I posted, you will find that you only need to sign into the account once every 9 months.  Using a desktop client like Thunderbird is another option to consider since they keep the account signed in all the time.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks Latoque!  99% of success is just paying attention - I should have read the link info.  I'll be sure and login and access any email addresses I want to keep shortly before disconnecting service, and with a 9 month inactivity grace period I should be just fine.  Ease of management tips are also good.  Anyway, I'd swear it was 30 days when I did it a couple years ago, but then again . . .

Highlighted
Expert

@GaVaBob wrote:

Thanks Latoque!  99% of success is just paying attention - I should have read the link info.  I'll be sure and login and access any email addresses I want to keep shortly before disconnecting service, and with a 9 month inactivity grace period I should be just fine.  Ease of management tips are also good.  Anyway, I'd swear it was 30 days when I did it a couple years ago, but then again . . .

You may be right about the last bit--------Comcast only started letting former customers keep their email accounts active about 2 1/2 or 3 years ago.  That was when the 9-month thing started.  Prior to that, you couldn't keep the account at all.