Community Forum

Policy allowing Comcast.net email address retention after discontinuing service

Contributor

Policy allowing Comcast.net email address retention after discontinuing service

I was surprised to run across a support document stating that in mid-2016, Comcast started allowing people to keep their Comcast.net primary and secondary email accounts active even after discontinuing Xfinity internet service (as long as certain very-reasonable email-account usage-frequency requirements are met).  While I'm definitely not planning on terminating service any time soon, I was pleased to learn this.

My question:  Was this change made as a result of a government law or regulation?  If so I am concerned about whether the policy will continue, because the Trump administration has been systematically eliminating/weakening regulations intended for consumer protection, especially those implemented by the Obama administration. (One recent high-profile example is the elimination of net neutrality.)  Of course, if the email-account-retention *was* strictly Comcast's (laudable) decision rather than government-mandated, I assume Comcast could be free to reverse it at any time.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Policy allowing Comcast.net email address retention after discontinuing service

Just a Comcast decision.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: Policy allowing Comcast.net email address retention after discontinuing service

That's the answer I was hoping for.  Thanks.