Community Forum

POP to IMAP

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

POP to IMAP

I am accessing my Comcast email using POP and Thunderbird. If I make the switch to IMAP, will all of my old emails and folders sync and be accessible online?

Expert

Re: POP to IMAP

Yes.  See here for better information--------------------

https://connect.xfinity.com/faq/email.html#popIMAP

See also----------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. To be clear, can I expect that all of the folders and emails that are currently on Thunderbird on my PC will be uploaded to Xfinity servers? Cause that would be sweet.

Expert

@12xuser wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. To be clear, can I expect that all of the folders and emails that are currently on Thunderbird on my PC will be uploaded to Xfinity servers? Cause that would be sweet.

Anything that is IMAP compatible will appear both in the webmail and in T-Bird.  The only exception will be any folders you created in Thunderbird in the "Local Folders" section in the left folder pane.  Those are local only to Thunderbird on that computer.  The IMAP and POP accounts in T-bird are actually two separate accounts.  Go ahead and enable an account with IMAP and you will see what I mean.  You can always delete the POP version later, which I would recommend to avoid confusion.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I actually created a Gmail IMAP account and tried to copy my messages and folders to it, but the larger folders would not completely copy. I do 't know if that's a Tbird issue or a Gmail issue. One folder with 2500 messages would only copy 1700 of them, and the remainder would not copy after that. Maybe I'll create a test account and try it with that.