Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Only receiving email selectively

New Poster

Only receiving email selectively

This problem started on or just after Wednesday, May 2.  Or at least tha't s as close as I can pin down the time frame.

The problem is the same for all the ways I access my email, Xfinity web portal, IOS mobile mail app, MacOS desktop mail client software.

I know for sure that I'm not receiving some messages, when those messages addressed to me show up in a Reply-All from another recipient.  Of course, I have no way to know how many non-distribution messages I have not received.  (The problem of the dog not barking in the night.)

I can't yet discern a pattern.  It seems roughly correlated to the identity of the sender, but that's not conclusive.  It could be some other mechanism of selection.  There is one sender from whom I've received a numbr of messages.

This sort of problem is a nightmare to diagnose. I need to get it fixed, because not receiving, and not responding to messages is clearly a problem.

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: Only receiving email selectively

Here's one possible reason for the problem I've described.

In the Settings --> Advanced Settings menu, the "Use email safe list" option was selected.  I didn't find much in the way of documentation, other than when enabled this feature acts as an explicit "whitelist" for email senders, silently discarding all other messages.  Now, I don't remember ever enabling that feature, and only two of my three Comcast addresses had the feature turned on.  Could it have been turned on as a result of a system upgrade or by a Comcast Customer Service representative?  I have no idea what the content of the "safe list" would have been.  Maybe those senders on my "contacts list"?  It's not clear.

Anyway, I disabled the feature and I'm going to give it a while to see if I start receiving the "normal" flow of incoming email once again.

All Replies
New Poster

Here's one possible reason for the problem I've described.

In the Settings --> Advanced Settings menu, the "Use email safe list" option was selected.  I didn't find much in the way of documentation, other than when enabled this feature acts as an explicit "whitelist" for email senders, silently discarding all other messages.  Now, I don't remember ever enabling that feature, and only two of my three Comcast addresses had the feature turned on.  Could it have been turned on as a result of a system upgrade or by a Comcast Customer Service representative?  I have no idea what the content of the "safe list" would have been.  Maybe those senders on my "contacts list"?  It's not clear.

Anyway, I disabled the feature and I'm going to give it a while to see if I start receiving the "normal" flow of incoming email once again.

New Poster

That did seem to be the answer -- or at least the fix.  How my email because configured that way is still a mystery.