Community Forum

Now Can't Send Mail on iPad and iPhone

Regular Visitor

Now Can't Send Mail on iPad and iPhone

I downloaded Xfinity on my iPad & iPhone, changed PW as requested for email on iPhone, iPad and IMac.  IMac sends and receives mail OK, but iPad and iPhone only receives.  When I try to send, get error msg that my PW or ID is incorrect.  Check all the setting and they are the same.  Any ideas.

Contributor

Re: Now Can't Send Mail on iPad and iPhone

Are you logging in with you Comcast UID/Password or your Apple ID?  In order to access Comcast mail servers, you need to login with your Comcast ID/Password.  I use the Xfinity apps on my iPad and have no problems.

Silver Problem Solver

On the iPhone and iPad, you probably changed the password on the incoming mail but not the outgoing. They are separate because you can use the outgoing for other accounts (I do that for a couple of my non-Comcast accounts.) 

On the iPhone and iPad (I'm looking at iPhone, but iPad is similar), go to Settings and then Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap one of the accounts. Scroll down to where it says Outgoing mail server and has smtp.comcast.net with an arrow next to it. Tap that. On the next page, there should be a primary server and it should be On. Tap On. That should get you to a page that looks like this where you can change the outgoing mail server password.

iPhoneMail3.jpg

Regular Visitor

Regular Visitor

Thanks to BethKatz for providing me with a solution to my stupid question. I am computer illiterate and her help is very much appreciated. Thanks, too, to smores for responding as well. -30-
Silver Problem Solver

You're welcome. I'm happy to help.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to it''s own Thread sincce this is a diferent issue then the original one

New Poster

Thanks!  That totally worked!

New Poster

Why does this show a different port number from the other help articles I looked at?

I've been using port 587 for the last year, successfully.

However, since loading the new version of the xfinity app on my iPhone I am unable to send mail using the iPhone's mail client. I am still receiving mail and I haven't changed any passwords, or other settings, recently so I know it's not password related.

The exact error message I get is "Cannot send mail. The username or  password for xxxx@smtp.comcast.net is incorrect.

I have authentication and SSL turned on. But bottom line it worked quite happily until last week when I updated the xfinity app - which to my mind should not have changed anything in relation to the native iPhone e-mail client.

Any Ideas?

Bronze Problem Solver

crazygood wrote:

Why does this show a different port number from the other help articles I looked at?

I've been using port 587 for the last year, successfully.

Several ports will work. The encryption settings (SSL, TLS, STARTTLS, TLS/SSL, etc.) that work will vary from client to client depending on how the client does things. If your client has a TLS or STARTTLS option, that's the one you want on port 587. Otherwise, SSL should work.

However, since loading the new version of the xfinity app on my iPhone I am unable to send mail using the iPhone's mail client. I am still receiving mail and I haven't changed any passwords, or other settings, recently so I know it's not password related.

The exact error message I get is "Cannot send mail. The username or  password for xxxx@smtp.comcast.net is incorrect.

Drop the "smtp" and make it xxxx@comcast.net. The "smtp" buggers up authentication.

I have authentication and SSL turned on.

The SSL part is working OK, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten to the part where the user/pass wasn't accepted.

But bottom line it worked quite happily until last week when I updated the xfinity app - which to my mind should not have changed anything in relation to the native iPhone e-mail client.

Well, I doubt that "@smtp.comcast.net" was acceptable to the Comcast servers last week. Maybe the old version edited out the "smtp" part?

Silver Problem Solver

Steve's right that the authentication username should not be xxxx@smtp.comcast.net. It should be xxxx (without even @comcast.net). 

That you installed the Xfinity Mobile app is probably coincidental. Comcast changed what they are checking on authentication in the past few days. 

On the iPhone, if you go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > your Comcast account, scroll down to the Outgoing Mail Server and tap the arrow. On the next screen, you'll see the various mail servers you have set up. Tap the primary one at top. The next screen should look like this:

iPhoneMail3.jpg

Silver Problem Solver

And here's what it looks like on the iPad.  Note I'm using port 587 instead of 465, but either will work.

ipad-comcast-smtp.png

New Poster

Thanks all

I actually didn't have to do anything. It 'mysteriously' started to work about two hours after I posted here (after not having worked for at least 48 hours).

When I called Comcast, they wanted $40 to answer the question Smiley Sad so thank you for taking the time to assist.

Bronze Problem Solver

crazygood wrote:

Thanks all

I actually didn't have to do anything. It 'mysteriously' started to work about two hours after I posted here (after not having worked for at least 48 hours).

When I called Comcast, they wanted $40 to answer the question Smiley Sad so thank you for taking the time to assist.

Well, user@smtp.comcast.net still doesn't work from what I can tell, so I don't think Comcast had anything to do with why things just started working.

Bronze Problem Solver

BethKatz wrote:

Comcast changed what they are checking on authentication in the past few days. 

Which things do you mean? That doesn't really make any sense.

Silver Problem Solver

steve-baker wrote:

ComcastSteve posted this:

But the post is vague (to me anyway) and I'm not real sure what it was they did.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't know what it means either, but that was what I was referring to.

I was throwing it out there as a possibility. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Baric wrote:

steve-baker wrote:

ComcastSteve posted this:

But the post is vague (to me anyway) and I'm not real sure what it was they did.

I think what's going on is that they were accomodating "acquired" customers whose previous ISP let them use different passwords for POP and SMTP, but they're not going to do that anymore; those legacy SMTP only passwords are history.

New Poster

Thanks I bunch that worked for me........It was frustrating there for a while.

New Poster

Thanks for your help. 45 minutes chatting with a comcast tech and he could not figure out that I had not changed the password in BOTH incoming and outgoing servers. Two minutes with a google search and I found your advice. I have learned.

New Poster

This issue has been frustrating me for the longest time.  THANK YOU for providing an accurate and well written solution!

Frequent Visitor

I have to thank you too. I have been trying for quite a while to get the IPOD mail to send Comcast email.

I wish there was a more useful error message to tell us what the program wants. 

New Poster

Thank you. Who knew about changing both passwords. I have been working on this for a week and finally found a successful solution.

Thank you.

New Poster

Thank you for the info. I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while. 

New Poster

Works great! I fixed my wife's iphone & iPad.

Thanks

New Poster

Thank you so much for posting this.  I was having the issue of receiving mail on the iphone and ipad but not being able to send.  I did exactly as you indicated and it worked right off!  Any idea how to load home video onto the ipad???

New Poster

thx u beth, i been on the phone for 2 hrs with comcast trying to get my iphone 4 to send mail, i found ur suggestions in the forum, all it took was to re-enter my password on the out going mail server, thxs for posting

Silver Problem Solver

You're welcome, everyone!

I like to look down this thread and see lots of thanks. This is one solution that keeps on helping.

New Poster

Outstanding info!  My iphone sent emails just fine when connected to any wireless network, but it would rarely send when attempting through the cell phone connection.  Outgoing server info had "optional" on both the userid and pw, and now that I've updated both email accounts with the user/pw info it works just great!  Thank you for the assist Smiley Happy

New Poster

Beth,

After 24 hours of messing with this issue, your fix took care of my problem in three minutes. Thanks!!

New Poster

Thank you so very much. I was wondering why I could get mail but not send. I did not know you have to change the password on the incoming and outgoing mail. 

New Poster

Thank you so much, worked like a charm ! You're a hero 😊
New Poster

This was exactly my problem!  There must be a more transparent way to make folks aware of the necessity of changing your comcast password twice...

New Poster

Thank you for your genius solution.  I spent nearly 6 hours on the phone with AT&T, APPLE and Comcast without a solution.  Comcast hung up on me 4 times.  AT&T was great.  APPLE was a waste of time.  Now I know to search the Web before calling any Technical UNHELP desk.