Community Forum

Not receiving email from a few domains

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Not receiving email from a few domains

Not entirely sure what's happening, but here's the behavior I'm seeing.

I have two non-Comcast email domains (one is my personal domain, and another is the domain of a nonprofit group I work with) that are both hosted through powweb.com. Over the course of the last month, a number of people, all of whom have comcast.net email addresses, have stopped receiving email messages from both domains..  We did have a few messages sent from the powweb.com-hosted domains get bounced with spam replies earlier in the month, and I reached out to PowWeb's support with the bounce messages as well as requesting removal of the blocks myself. In those cases, I did get replies (from Comcast) stating that the blocks had been removed.

Despite that, there is at least a subset of those people with comcast.net addresses who are still not receiving emails from those powweb.com-hosted domains. The test messages I have sent did not result in bounce replies. I have my own Comcast email address, which I've also used to test, but I have no issues receiving the emails myself (I have Spam filtering disabled in the account settings, since my typical email client does its own spam filtering; it's not clear if that matters.) At least some of the folks having issues aren't terribly tech-savvy, so it's hard for me to get useful information about what their settings and configurations are.

Regular Visitor

Re: Not receiving email from a few domains

It may also be worth noting that although the domains I'm having issues with are hosted via powweb.com, I beleive the mail servers themselves report as being part of yourhostingaccount.com,  as I beleive PowWeb is now just one brand among several sharing the same network infrastructure these days.

Regular Visitor

(Hoping that @ComcastAntiSpam chimes in here.)

Official Employee

Quickly before I dig in, you should have your Spam Filter set to Enabled, and then choose to put the copy in your inbox or junk folder.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Okay, it seems your settings are correct at the moment.

It looks like your sending IP had been flagged, and should be resolved in 15-20 minutes

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I gave it a try again this morning (about 30 minutes ago.) I didn't receive a bounce message from the sending domain, but still only a subset of recipients with comcast.net addresses received the message. 

@ComcastAntiSpam - would having the set of affected inboxes be useful? I'm happy to provide more detail if it helps get this resolved. 

Official Employee

You can DM me that information, click on my name, and then look for a link to send a private message.

New Poster

I am also receiving messages from Comcast back to my business (non-Comcast) email address that delivery is being delayed - or that delivery isn't happening at all.  Eventually the message will bounce altogether with RL000003 indicated. 

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on walmailout07.yourhostingaccount.com."

The message goes on to state I don't have to do anything about this (since two people didn't get the email, of course I have to do something about it!)

Expert

@mewicker wrote:

I am also receiving messages from Comcast back to my business (non-Comcast) email address that delivery is being delayed - or that delivery isn't happening at all.  Eventually the message will bounce altogether with RL000003 indicated. 

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on walmailout07.yourhostingaccount.com."

The message goes on to state I don't have to do anything about this (since two people didn't get the email, of course I have to do something about it!)

From here:

RL000003 :: Mail to Comcast is queued and I see RL000003 in my email logs. What does this mean?

Comcast has instituted rate limiting on all inbound email traffic. This step was taken to protect our customers and our email system from unwanted spam and malicious attacks. Any systems affected by this rate limit will receive a 4xx message (temp-fail) during the SMTP transaction. This message is designed to instruct the sending server to try again at a later time to deliver its email.

This rate limiting policy is based on historical volumes and quality of that volume. The limits applied are independent of the number of domains originating from a given IP. This policy should apply to both IPv4 and IPv6.

New IP addresses that are expected to send significant amounts of email to Comcast subscribers should start by sending low volumes of mail, increasing as time goes on. As your IP sends more email, its limit will increase daily.

If the rate-limit is impacting your ability to deliver email, shortening your server's delivery retry interval should resolve the issue.

If you require additional assistance, please contact Customer Security Assurance at 888-565-4329.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks, but that's exactly what the email says that eventually gets delivered back to me

The email explains (kind of) why I'm in this situation, but it doesn't tell me how to get Comcast to let my email through.  

New Poster

I just talked to the security area, and they confered with the support area, and told me this is a "problem on the other end."   No advice as to what they think the other end is doing wrong... support and security had a chat discussion which they couldn't share with me.

Any idea what this  "problem on the other end" might be?

Official Employee

Spoke to which security/support area?  for which company?

Are you still seeing this today?

New Poster

I spoke with Caesar in the Comcast security department this afternoon.  Ticket # NA0000250354500