Community Forum

Not able to connect to OPB.org

Frequent Visitor

Not able to connect to OPB.org

About 2 months ago, we suddenly could not acess Oregon Public Broadcasting's website, opb.org.  I have been watching tv in my studio on my computer for years, but now, cannot open the site.  Same with my husband's computer.  We have lived in the same house, getting comcast for our isp for 3.5 years.  This is the first time we have ever had such a puzzling problem. 

We contacted OPB, but they had no knowledge of this problem.  One person said they had updated their security settings and some isps had issues with that, but that was 2 months ago.  They have no problem in Portland. 

They suggested we contact comcast.   So, what is the problem? 

Tags (2)
Expert

Re: Not able to connect to OPB.org

@redmadness wrote:

About 2 months ago, we suddenly could not acess Oregon Public Broadcasting's website, opb.org.  I have been watching tv in my studio on my computer for years, but now, cannot open the site.  Same with my husband's computer.  We have lived in the same house, getting comcast for our isp for 3.5 years.  This is the first time we have ever had such a puzzling problem. 

We contacted OPB, but they had no knowledge of this problem.  One person said they had updated their security settings and some isps had issues with that, but that was 2 months ago.  They have no problem in Portland. 

They suggested we contact comcast.   So, what is the problem? 

You never mentioned what operating system your computer is using. If you are still on Windows 7 and I.E. that could be your problem. I would suspect down-loading Chrome to your current computer (instead of using I.E.) might work. Having a computer with Windows 10 & Edge should be fine also. Comcast for Internet would not be the cause.

Diamond Problem Solver

@redmadness wrote:

but now, cannot open the site.  Same with my husband's computer.  ? 

Is there any error message ? Perhaps performing a trace route to the site may reveal a clue ?

Expert

I just connected to: opb.org here in Minnesota without any problems. As stated I have a Lenovo computer running Edge (Windows 10). I am up to date for all W10 updates. I don,t use Comcast for Internet but find it hard to believe they are the problem.

Maybe E.G. could check the site with his computer to rule out Comcast Internet as the cause.

Diamond Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Maybe E.G. could check the site with his computer to rule out Comcast Internet as the cause.  

Already did. I reach the site here in Northern, N.J. with Chrome, Firefox, and the Edge browsers. My trace also completes to the destination server.

Frequent Visitor

They have no problems in Portland, where the station is located, but we do here.   If we have to upgrade to Windows 10, I  will have to learn all kinds of things.  Not fun at our advanced age and decrepitude.  But, that could be the problem, even though we have NO problems streaming videos, or accessing any other sites. 

thanks, I hadn't thought of it being the operating system.

redmadness

Diamond Problem Solver

Have you tried a trace route to the site ?

Frequent Visitor

I don't know what a trace route is.  I am going to attempt to use my windows 10 smaller computer to see if opb comes up on that.  Strange that it is the only site I can't bring to life. 

redmadness

Frequent Visitor

Well, I continue to be unable to open OPB.org.   I used my little Asus computer, Windows 10, made sure all the various setting weere updated, used Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, and none of them would allow me to access opb.org.   I am totally amazed, because everyone  else seems to, and the folks at OPB say they have never heard of this problem. Not exactly true, as I reported it two months ago. 

All the browsers say their certificate is not secure, one said it is "self signed"  but why am I getting this on two computers, two different operating systems, three browsers, but nobody else has problems.  I am sending screen shots to OPB to see if maybe they can fix it themselves

Thanks for all your help, EG and MNtundraRET.

Redmadness

Expert

I am giving it one more try.

I checked the site this morning and navigated the site without problems. It does say "unsecured site" using Edge on W10.

I am wondering if you were using old links, favorites, or short-cuts? They might be corrupted and should be deleted.

Type in" www.opb.org" for a fresh search. Make sure you choose the official site. By any chance do you have to be a contributing member to use their TV site for viewing programs? That might come up if the site is used regularly.

Diamond Problem Solver

@redmadness wrote:

I don't know what a trace route is.  I am going to attempt to use my windows 10 smaller computer to see if opb comes up on that.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+do+a+trace+route+on+window+10&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=How...

Frequent Visitor

A fairly computer savvy friend suggested deleting everything, cookies, history, etc. and restarting, all of which I did, but I am still getting the "404 - site not found" or all the messages about insecure site cert, etc.  I also did a trace route and the signal went all over the western states, including Dallas TX, then finally back to Portland.  Many of the lines timed out, but since people who live around the corner from me can get the site, I am beginning to think it may be our modem or router. 

I don't know enough about certificates to see if one is for opb, but... this is nuts.  Yes, we do use their site to contribute, but are sustaining members, so we don't have to do it much.  It is just that I want to watch shows I can't get because xfinity doesn't allow us to watch the secondary public broadcasting channel which shows a lot of home improvement shows, this old house, that kind of thing.  But, I can't. 

The weird thing was the little Asus computer which I have never used to access  opb, have only used it a few days, runs win 10, and all three browsers, edge included, didn't want to do it either.

I think we will go to Xfinity store tomorrow if they are open, and ask what could possibly be doing this.  Our modem and router are several years old, but we have zero problems streaming videos on our several year old TV, not a smart tv, and both of us use our computers simultaneously every day.  But, still no luck.    I am just about out of ideas except take the little computer to xfinity and see what happens.   Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@redmadness wrote:

I also did a trace route and the signal went all over the western states, including Dallas TX, then finally back to Portland.  Many of the lines timed out, but since people who live around the corner from me can get the site, I am beginning to think it may be our modem or router. 

Can you post a screenshot of the output of that trace ?

Expert

Have you tried reseting modem & router? Most can be reset ny just unpluging a minute or two, and plugging back in. Some Comcast equipment has a Reset found on the Xfinity Support page.

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, OP there is a difference between just power-cycling devices and fully "resetting" them back to factory defaults. The former is done by unplugging the device from the AC power for a short period of time as others have stated. The latter is done by depressing and holding in the recessed reset button othe rear of the device for 20-30 seconds.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Someone who uses the same bulk service through our property suggested the same.  That is the next step for me.

Frequent Visitor

I unplugged everything, modem, router, computer, all that, and when I came back, Lo and Behold! there it was.  I keep wondering why that site, and that site only.  Oh well, it works, and that is the main thing.  Thanks so much.

Redmadness

Expert

@redmadness wrote:

I unplugged everything, modem, router, computer, all that, and when I came back, Lo and Behold! there it was.  I keep wondering why that site, and that site only.  Oh well, it works, and that is the main thing.  Thanks so much.

Redmadness

Thank you for letting us know.