Community Forum

New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Regular Visitor

New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Hello, I have been using Comcast email for a long time and have it set up on the Mail.app on my Macs at home, office, etc.  On Friday, I noticed that on a home Mac I couldn't get connect. When I went into my Internet Accounts in System Preferences and tried to enter name (user name) and pw, I get a message "Unable to verify account name or password."

Curiously, this occurred simultaneously on three different Macs all running version 10.13.6 macOS (current High Sierra) in three different locations.   However, my MacBookPro, which was off on Friday, works fine for Comcast email.  All Macs work fine using web browser to log on to Comcast email. iPhone email is ok too. Any advice appreciated.  I don't know if this is some kind of Comcast problem or maybe iCloud (which seems to do something with other email accounts)?  thanks

Regular Visitor

Re: New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Well, I think this was a problem with iCloud keychain since kept reverting back to incorrect settings. I checked using web browser and all my imap email was still online, so I deleted the bad account in Internet Settings on my Mac, which didn't affect imap email using web browser. I then added my comcast account with correct settings and am now back to norml. All imap emails are now back on Apple Mail.  Just a FYI if anyone else has this problem.

New Poster

Ever since my wife got a new iMac, she has had problems with smtp.comcast.net.

And now I can't even add Comcast after deleting it. It does not recognize my password after spinning for a couple of minutes. I called Comcast and they said it wasn't their problem since I could use their webmail instead (UNBELIEVABLE!).

Any advice?

Expert

Try configuring the account manually.  When you get to the menu asking for the user ID and password, deliberately type in some gibberish----anything but the real password.  It will try to validate it, and after about 20 seconds or so you will get prompted to set it up manually.  The settings you will need are found here--------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!