Community Forum

New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Regular Visitor

New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Hello, I have been using Comcast email for a long time and have it set up on the Mail.app on my Macs at home, office, etc.  On Friday, I noticed that on a home Mac I couldn't get connect. When I went into my Internet Accounts in System Preferences and tried to enter name (user name) and pw, I get a message "Unable to verify account name or password."

Curiously, this occurred simultaneously on three different Macs all running version 10.13.6 macOS (current High Sierra) in three different locations.   However, my MacBookPro, which was off on Friday, works fine for Comcast email.  All Macs work fine using web browser to log on to Comcast email. iPhone email is ok too. Any advice appreciated.  I don't know if this is some kind of Comcast problem or maybe iCloud (which seems to do something with other email accounts)?  thanks

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: New problem with Apple Mail on Mac computers for comcast.net

Well, I think this was a problem with iCloud keychain since kept reverting back to incorrect settings. I checked using web browser and all my imap email was still online, so I deleted the bad account in Internet Settings on my Mac, which didn't affect imap email using web browser. I then added my comcast account with correct settings and am now back to norml. All imap emails are now back on Apple Mail.  Just a FYI if anyone else has this problem.

New Poster

Ever since my wife got a new iMac, she has had problems with smtp.comcast.net.

And now I can't even add Comcast after deleting it. It does not recognize my password after spinning for a couple of minutes. I called Comcast and they said it wasn't their problem since I could use their webmail instead (UNBELIEVABLE!).

Any advice?

Expert

Try configuring the account manually.  When you get to the menu asking for the user ID and password, deliberately type in some gibberish----anything but the real password.  It will try to validate it, and after about 20 seconds or so you will get prompted to set it up manually.  The settings you will need are found here--------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you.  Your suggestion to put in gibberish worked!!!

New Poster

I am on Apple Mail 10.3 with Sierra OS.  Suggesting to type in gibberish in the pasword area and wait, then re-type known password does not work for me.

Since I reinstalled Sierra OS on my Mac, I worked with an Apple Sr. Tech to reconfig my email accounts and he could not resolve this issue. He told me to contact Comcast Tech Support. After no resolution with Comcast, they passed the buck back to Apple. Comcast servers not recognizing my password for outgoing mail. Also changes password before my eyes when I type in manually and wait a few seconds, per your instruction on this forum. My password is recognized from the Comcast website though.  

I followed the online documentation. Comcast tech directed me to the Comcast CSA Dept. tomorrow morning. Bad solution. Sr. tech support should be available up until 9 pm.

Really Comcast. You should get together with Apple to troubleshoot this bug since Apple products are used by so many people.

Expert

I'm curious-----exactly what happens when you try to set up the account?  Are you getting any error message?  I'm using Mac Mail v12.4 in Mojave and I'm running 5 Comcast accounts in it at the moment with no issues.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm having the same problem. Outgoing mail server not working for comcast. Deleted account, now I can't add account. Tried the "gibberish" thing and that doesn't work. I just get the spinning icon until I cancel.

Has anyone resolved this issue? Comcast says it's Apple becuase I can access comcast mail in browser.

Official Employee

Hello, all - 

Thank you for reaching out here. I would be happy to help with the email issues, we want you to be able to access your email from places that work for you. Sounds like I'll need to submit a ticket. Please send me a PM with your first/last name to get started. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm answering my own problem here-

After speaking with Apple, it was determined that I had Malware on my hard drive. They had me download and install the free version of Malwarebytes. It removed the malware and I was able to add my Comcast mail account.

Official Employee

Thank you for the update, HeidiBoston! Glad to hear it's working now. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I've tried all of these suggestions...and more...and it is still a problem for me...

Official Employee

jpkempler, did you run a malware check like HeidiBoston did? Have you checked out your email settings here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

New Poster

I have issues with Mail and comcast.net email for the last year on and off. Comcast says it is an Apple issue and are not very helpful. APple support doesn't know what to do to resolve it.  The only way you can "fix" it is to

1. delete the account on your MAC,

2. change your email password at Comcast,

3. then add a new mail account on your MAC.

4. May take several tries but usually it eventually connects. 

5. It eventually breaks again and you have to repeat the steps.

I have done this at least 6 times. Very frustrating.

I use MacOS Mohave 10.14.5 but this occured with earlier versions as well.  Mail is version 12.4 (3445.104.11)

New Poster

I use Malwarebytes regularly and it does not help in my case.

Official Employee

Markrkaufman, Are you having issue with other email clients as well? Are you connected to VPN at home? 

New Poster

I only use Mail on my mac. My web mail (xfinity) works fine. My cell phone (xfinity app) also is fine.

I use Express VPN. I just set it so Mail wont use the VPN (settings>general>split tunneling > Mail set to not use VPN) . I just changed this setting and will see if that helps. A few messages went out fine but we will see. 

Official Employee

OK cool. You're a mind reader! I was just about to suggest that. 

Let us know what your test yields! 

Ken

Official Employee

Markrkaufman, checking in... how did the test go?

New Poster

Yes, that solved the issue. Thanks.

Official Employee

Hi Markrkaufman, thank you for the update and glad that solved the issue for you.  Please reach back out if you need any assistance in the future.

Thank you