Community Forum

New Comcast IMAP servers and email settings

Frequent Visitor

Re: New Comcast IMAP servers and email settings

Excellent suggestions. I'm thinking about leaving Comcast (have Internet, phone and tv with them) but so much of my email life uses comcast email addresses that it will be a monumental task to change. But I will do just that,change everything to gmail so it'll be portable in the future. Thanks for the good advice.
Frequent Visitor

It was a pain, but after about 45 days now I think I am ready to cease monitoring my Comcast box. Tip: Put a signature line on all your email letting folks know of the change and set Comcast to send an auto reply with the same info. Saves some time and effort.

Contributor

Anyone know if Mail is down?  I cannot get email this morning 9/30.  I am using IMAP.  I get an error that states password not correct on all email accounts on phone and PC..but I can check webmail.

Called 800 number and they say its me not comcast.

Frequent Visitor

It's not you.  

I am having the same problem - can't connect to email via IMAP. 

Connecting via webmail does work.

Regular Visitor

Re: New Comcast IMAP servers and email settings--IMAP DOWN

Got same problem.....prompting to re enter IMap password....must be Comcast issue.

Contributor

Tried talking to someone at Comcast and they have no idea what they are talking about.  If you text outage to 266278 I get a reply "Not aware of any outage in your area"

Maybe someon else can call from a different area and someone who knows what is going on

New Poster

I was getting an IMAP Server connection error message in Sarasoat FL since 8:30 am. but it just came back on line at 9:53 am

Contributor

Back up in CT too..About 10:15am

New Poster

This option is just the trick. Thanks so much for posting. Tricking the auto setup with a false email does not work because it retains the sample email address int the account. This method allows manual setup. Thanks again

Frequent Visitor

Did this over four weeks ago. I never got any e-mail fom Comcast.  

Contributor

i have comcast email on my Mac and my iphone.  When i delete from one, it doesn't delete from the other.  It is a pop account on my Mac and imap on my iphone.  how do i change this.  i went into the website but never got an email or instructions within 24 hours.  very frustrating having to delete messages from both places constantly.  HELP PLEASE     tony d

Frequent Visitor

Actualy, there's an esier way. I use this to get my three macc on the same page with Comcast mail.  I sometimes find that on or more will have a differnt number of messages than the other. So I export the Comcast inbox to a created export folder in the Home Folder.  Then on the computers with lesser amounts of messages, I delete all of the mesages in the Comcast Inbox.After they are finally gone, (It takes quite some time if you have a lot there!) I import the expoted inbox from the computer I exported from.  Once the import completes,  I copy all the messages to the now empty Comcast Inbox.  After that's done and I'm satified I got all the messages, I delete the imported Inbox.  

This is why I would rather have an IMAP Account.  It would kep every computer in sync automaticly.     

Frequent Visitor

This is not really a reply, just a post for everyone's general information. My Comcast EMail VIA Live Mail and Thunderbird went south on 10/15 or thereabouts, timeouts, password errors, etc., etc., etc.  Messed with settings, uninstall/reinstall, half an hour or more in online chat, promise of callback (never happened), no help.  Was still getting incoming, but could not send -- not via Windows Mail, not Thunderbird, not Windows 7, not Windows 8.1.  Could still send via Comcast WebMail, and apparently receive (but read further below).

Set up a GMail account and used MailFetcher to bring over everything from my Comcast account.  Don't yet want to SEND from gmail, as it would involve notifying a zillion friends and business contacts.

SO, four days later:

-- I can't sent from either EMail client, but can send from Comcast WebMail.

-- I receive SOME EMail via my clients, but it doesn't seem to be all incoming.

-- I receive SOME EMail via Comcast WebMail, but it doesn't seem to be all incoming.

-- I receive considerably more EMail at GMail, presumably via their MailFetcher; some don't show up at all in either of the other places.

It amazes me that a company as big as Comcast could have this going on for days now without any type of status reports to their millions and millions of users.  All these doofuses protesting Walmart?  They need to change focus and start protesting Comcast/XFinity.

Frequent Visitor

mine have been set that way for awhile... don't get your hopes up.....

Expert
Moved:

Removed for name calling and another for bypassing language filters.

Regular Visitor

I used the settings as described, but from time to time I get an error messages in my version of Outlook 2010 recording;

"Task synchronizing subsscribed folders for "xxxxxx@comcast.net" error reported.  Ox800CCCOF:  Outlook cannot synchronize the subscribed folders for "xxxxxx@comcast.net."  Error:  The IMAP command cannot be sent before the connection was terminated.  If you continue to receive this message contact your administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I changed the settings for the server timeout to 5 minutes, but I still get the error message.  My cell is an Galaxy Mega, the iPad is the first version, and the laptop is an Inspirion.  What is the problem?

Frequent Visitor

I just switched to Comcast IMAP using Outlook 2007. All incoming messages go to my IMAP Root Store instead of my default email account. 

Frequent Visitor

With all the problems people have been reporting it's painfully clear Comcasst is clueless and means to stay clueless.  I'll keep my POP/SMTP setup and forget about going to IMAP.  Someday they might join the twenty-first century but not today.  

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I have been with Comcast for years and have never received any form of notice regarding IMAP. I only learned about it by accident a couple of days ago when MS Outlook 2003 on my Windows 7 PC (with an Office 2007 compatibility update) began failing to connect to the SMTP server. Upon checking this forum, and the broader Internet, I found out some details about it. I decided to attempt setting up the IMAP email account in Outlook myself. I quickly found that I couldn't simply change all the settings in my existing POP3 account, but had to set up a separate IMAP account. Initially, receiving mail seemed to work, but sending mail still wouldn't connect to the SMTP server. After trying several combinations of settings, including using ports 993 and 465, sending mail worked . . . sorta. Email would send, but the sent message appeared in the "Sent Items" folder for my original Outlook POP3 account, not the IMAP account folder. Thinking that having the POP3 account still configured in Outlook created some conflict, and not knowing that POP3 would continue to be available for now, I deleted that account from the Outlook settings. I did not, though, delete the POP3 message folder (under "Personal Folders"). Now when Outlook sends / receives, new incoming messages correctly appear only in the IMAP message folder, but sent messages show up in the POP3 sent items. For now, I'm still not certain I have everything configured right.

The only advantage I have found in using IMAP (although I'm sure there are others) is that I now receive all incoming email on my Android phone, as well as my PC, where before I had to turn off Outlook in order to receive mail on my phone. I haven't yet changed any settings on my phone, nor have I tried sending mail from it, so I don't know how or if that will work.

I'm still looking for an Outlook setting that will automatically delete incoming IMAP email from Comcast's server. For now, it appears that the only way to do so is to delete individual messages witthin Outlook, then use the "purge" routine. I didn't have to go through those motions with POP3 mail.

Finally, I also don't know if my email is fully converted to IMAP on Comcast's server, because I have not yet asked them to do so. I don't even know if that step is necessary at this point.

This whole process is so typical of Comcast, where changes are made without telling me. And, based on years of Comcast non-help, I certainly won't contact them for answers.

Contributor

Thanks for your efforts but bottom line it shouldn't be this difficult. Comcast is out of touch and no help and a pos. I dumped ouook and went to apple and iMac and Gmail. Too much energy wasted. Gonna cancel all of my xfinity services also.
Frequent Visitor

Since my last post a month or so ago, Email in and out is working in both Thunderbird and Windows Mail; have discontinued the mail fetching thing to my bandaid GMail account, as some things making that transition were then disappearing on the Comcast side even though I had GMail set to leave a copy on their server.  (PS, don't like the GMail interface even a little bit.)  So I guess Comcast did ultimately get all their dookey in one sock, but they did an abysmal job of communicating to the world about the situation.  If I had a cable alternative for TV I'd likely dump them, but of course they have an ironclad monopoly in that department.  (I'm not inclined to get into the satellite dish universe at the moment.)  So bottom line for me, it is what it is, but if it breaks, don't expect much.

New Poster

Just got a Surface. Since all my contacts, etc... are in comcast.net, I want to continue getting email that way.

Setting up email has been a nightmare and this forum seems like it might be  helpful.

If anyone can give help with setting up email on Surface, it would be great.

Thanks.

New Poster

It was instantanious for me ... THANKS!

Regular Visitor

Since my post in mid-October, the annoying pop-up error messages have ceased. It took the help of a patient Comcast tech and too much of my time to resolve the issue. the tech had to make an adjustment to the Comcast server to deal with my move to IMAP. It was supposed to happen over the course of a couple of days, but noticed the absence of the error messages within hours of the of that exchange. It would be nice if companies like Comcast were responsive sooner, but with persistence, they did solve the problem for me. I will continue to pay them for providing the service. When they stop so will I and vote with my feet to something else. The comments in this forum are helpful and I recommended to my friends they might be well served subscribing.
Regular Visitor

Well, I haven't been so lucky.  I have spoken at Comcast tech (I use the term loosely) 7-8 times over a period of a month and my email still isn't working.  I can receive, but can't send.  I tried to switched to IMAP, but I don't guess I have or it didn't work either.

Harvey

New Poster

I would not recommend anyone switching their accounts to IMAP. I switched over about a week ago and it's still not working properly. I would ocassionally get an email(checking on my phone) but the next time I go to check my mail and it's empty. I have it set "never" delete from server.

Official Employee

@hndshelton wrote:

Well, I haven't been so lucky.  I have spoken at Comcast tech (I use the term loosely) 7-8 times over a period of a month and my email still isn't working.  I can receive, but can't send.  I tried to switched to IMAP, but I don't guess I have or it didn't work either.

Harvey

Harvey,

All customers now have IMAP support.  What error or issue are you seeing?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@fb111a1 wrote:

I would not recommend anyone switching their accounts to IMAP. I switched over about a week ago and it's still not working properly. I would ocassionally get an email(checking on my phone) but the next time I go to check my mail and it's empty. I have it set "never" delete from server.

It's very likely that you have a system POPing your email and not leaving a copy on the server.  The symptom you're describing is not an issue IMAP could cause.  In fact, it solves this very issue by always syncing what's on the server with your local machine(s).

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I've requested the change to imap. 

I've tried entering the imap and stmp settings shown in earlier posts for adding an additional email account.

None of that works.

Now, when I log onto my comcast account from the Xfinity page, I get the error message that my user name and password don't match. But I haven't changed those things and I can still get my email on my PC.

This is frustrating.

New Poster

with all this mess, everyone needs to ask, why the heck isn't a company the size of comcast ahead of the curve and why all these emails to fix something that should be a no brainer.  Comcasts sucks. PERIOD!!!  HEY COMCAST, WHY DON'T YOU EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS SUCH A PROBLEM AND WHY YOU ARE NOT FIXING IT.  ??????  I have spent way too much time playing with you people. I migrated to gmail!!!!!

New Poster

Wow - I can't believe people are having so many problem. I converted when they were on beta servers. Glad I did early on because it was a seamless migration for me. Sorry to hear there are so many problems. I thought Comcast now had full IMAP support.
Frequent Visitor

How do I stop the comcast server from deleting the emails in my outlook when I delete them online? And somehow my folders are on the server from my outlook. I didn't put them there and I don't want them there. They are taking up space on the server and I am not buying more email space. I need them in my outlook ONLY!!!!! Is there anyway I can not use the comcast cloud??????

Frequent Visitor

I have to close out and restart my outlook in order to get my email. It gets stuck spinning with this error all the time.

13:51:04 Synchronizer Version 15.0.4667.1000

13:51:04 Synchronizing Mailbox 'xxxxx.xxxxl@comcast.net'

13:51:04 Synchronizing Hierarchy

13:51:05 Error synchronizing folder

13:51:05                                [800CCCD2-0-0-720]

13:51:05 Terminated in error

13:51:05                                [800CCCD2-0-0-720]

Expert

@gaylebell wrote:

How do I stop the comcast server from deleting the emails in my outlook when I delete them online? And somehow my folders are on the server from my outlook. I didn't put them there and I don't want them there. They are taking up space on the server and I am not buying more email space. I need them in my outlook ONLY!!!!! Is there anyway I can not use the comcast cloud??????

It sounds like normal IMAP behavior.  What you are seeing is what's supposed to happen.  In IMAP when you do something to an email in one client or device, or on the server, it's supposed to be reflected in any others.  So if you delete an email from  the webmail, it will also remove it from Outlook, or a smart phone or whatever.  Comcast does not charge anything extra for space because of the folders.  They are supposed to be there.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

can i go back to pop, I hate this. I do not want my stuff on the internet. It is none of their business! I only want my email in my outlook, not on my iphone, my ipad or the server.

Official Employee

@gaylebell wrote:

can i go back to pop, I hate this. I do not want my stuff on the internet. It is none of their business! I only want my email in my outlook, not on my iphone, my ipad or the server.

Sure, you're welcome to go back to POP.  We even provide the settings here: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Before you do, however, realize the benefit to IMAP goes beyond synching email with your mobile device.  Personally, over the years I've lost my hard drive to corruption or system failure at least twice.  By using IMAP, your Outlook stays synchroniced with our servers, so the loss of your hard drive does not mean the loss of your email.  Just something to consider.

New Poster

comcast jordan... i need to get imap. i get emails on my iphone and laptop.  how do i migrate to imap without losing current emails so i sync all over.   

Frequent Visitor

First I tried just changing the incoming server info but it wouldn't because I couldn't change the imap. I backed up my data file to a .pst file. I removed the imap account and added a new pop account using the same data file. Now I have all my folders online and in my outlook. It says I have 33 in my inbox but there is nothing to show in the preview pane. I have lost ll my email to the server. Now what? windows 8.whatever and office 2013.

Regular Visitor

POP is in box but not active.  How do you change this?

Highlighted
Official Employee

@tonykf2 wrote:

comcast jordan... i need to get imap. i get emails on my iphone and laptop.  how do i migrate to imap without losing current emails so i sync all over.   

The best way is to disable the POP profile on your laptop/phone and create a new profile..  That way you won't lose anything you previously POPed, but will be IMAP going forward. 

New Poster

comcast jordan...finally, all my devices are on imap.. thank you

New Poster

Thanks for publishing this.  I found that my account had already been migrated on the Comcast end.  Right now clients using POP3 are the only ones accessing the account.

I was unable to change an existing account on the client (K9 mail on an Android phone) from POP3 to IMAP, but I was able to create a new account on the client and it's IMAP.  Woo Hoo!

Now I just need to add the IMAP account on my Android tablet and then on Win 7 Outlook.  Luckily all my messages are saved in my personal PST, so switching the Outlook client should be easy.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJordan wrote:

@hndshelton wrote:

Harvey

Harvey,

All customers now have IMAP support.  What error or issue are you seeing?

Jordan,

Does this mean we can access an existing mailbox with POP3 and IMAP?  We'd like to keep my wife's PC configuration with POP3 as it is but still allow access from her phone or tablet via IMAP (and we've configured it so mails aren't deleted immediately when downloaded to the PC).

Scott

Regular Contributor

And the answer is?????

Sent from my iPhone
Expert

You should be able to re-create the account in IMAP, and leave the POP one intact.  In a mail client they are two separate accounts.  I did that for a few days using Thunderbird on my iMac.  If you set up the account on the phone now, it will auto-detect it as IMAP, as any iOS device will.  Just make sure the POP version is set to leave copies on the server, or it might keep downloading the messages and then delete them.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Mozilla Thunderbird is no longer available at the playstore. Any idea how I can get it? Comcast no longer works with wifi since the lollipop update?

Expert

Apparently not-------------

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1017657

You need to use whatever mail app comes with Lollipop, or maybe the Xfinity Connect Mobile app.

New Poster

Are all you using Macs? The reason I ask is because your port numbers don't work on a PC using Outlook. For example, the moment I change 995 to 993, the Test Account Settings button on Outlook's Internet E-Mail Settings page generates an error message. In fact the only settings that work, albeit sporadically, is the POP configuration below:

Incoming mail server: pop.comcast.net

Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net

* Reguire logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)

Incoming Server (POP3):  995

Outgoing Server (SMTP):  587

Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS

If I deviate from any of these, the comcast account fails all tests. I have never been able to use IMAP in Outlook. Please advise.

Regular Contributor

You can't just change the port #, the incoming server has to be imap.comcast.net, and you should set it up as a new account in Outlook, not change an existing account.