Community Forum

New Comcast IMAP servers and email settings

New Poster

Re: New Comcast IMAP servers and email settings

I succesfully transfered my own comcast e-mail account over to IMAP and have been pretty happy with the result. 

We have a family e-mail account that we use for general e-mails.  This e-mail is on each of our separate devices, including computers.  I would like to move the account over to IMAP on my devices, and leave it on POP on the other devices as the rest of the family debates the merits of IMAP over POP.  Is that possible, or do all devices have to switch over. 

Thanks in advance.

Gold Problem Solver

You can set up a User (Secondary username) with IMAP and leave others as POP.  But they can't be using the SAME Username. 

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

Here is a very clear and concise set of instructions for iPhone.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/18/how-to-set-up-comcast-imap-email-on-ios-7-os-x-mavericks/

New Poster

I tried setting it up on my mac mail and it doesnt do anything. I followed the instructions line for line. guess I'm just stuck deleteing emails 3 times on all my devices. ugg!

New Poster

ok i got it to work on my mac. Is there a way to transfer my old emails from the pop account to the IMAP or am i stuck with two accounts so i dont loose anything?

New Poster

I used my Time Machine Backup.  First, I did a backup.  I then deleted the POP mail account.  Then after that I opened my mail program on the mac, then opened Time Machine.  It brings the mail program up.  Then I went to my POP inbox on the last backup, and selected all the e-mails, and then hit restore.  I next went to the sent e-mail for the POP acccount on the backup and selected all of those and then hit restore. 

At that point, there is a restore folder on the left hand side.  I once had to shut mail down and restart it and then it showed up.  After that, I went to the restored inbox messages, selected them all and moved them into the inbox.  I then went to the restored sent mailbox, selected them all and moved them into the sent box.  

It is a bit tedious, but it worked for me. 

New Poster

dmeichs,  i am having the same problems that you experienced.  many multiple emails being downloaded and then none at all.

Did you ever get a resolution that worked for you?

I am still looking.

thanks for your help.

CJG

Valued Contributor

Will Comcast support me uploading my old POP e-mail messages from Outlook to the Comcast via IMAP?

This way I have all my e-mail in the cloud again. 

Official Employee

Tek, That isn't a function of IMAP really. I'm not even certain your email client supports such a function. Regardless, once messages are removed from the server, they cannot be put back.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Tek wrote:

Will Comcast support me uploading my old POP e-mail messages from Outlook to the Comcast via IMAP?

This way I have all my e-mail in the cloud again. 

if you have both the POP an IMAP accounts setup in Outlook, just drag the emails from the POP inbox to the IMAP inbox.  The emails will now be available on both the web and in Outlook on your PC, and any other device that you have setup with IMAP.

You can also do that with Sent mail and any sub-folders you had in your POP Outlook file.

I have emails dating back to 1/1/2011 in my IMAP account.  The older emails I left in the POP account in Outlook.

After you're done, set Outlook to not download mail from the POP server.

Gary

Regular Visitor

I tried to migrate my email account to IMAP and got an immediate response that the migration was complete.  I've tried to add this account using the Comcast IMAP settings and have gotten an error on each device.  Is there a way to check that the account is in fact IMAP protocol?  I did this with my wife's account months ago after she got a Windows 8 laptop and everything went as expectedincluding an email a few days later confirming the migration.

I've never received an email.

Regular Visitor

I am trying to get IMAP service to connect Windows 8 mail.  I tried the link in this post (https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap) but I get the following message:

Login failed. Try again here.

I am in Massachusetts, if that makes any difference.  

Any clues appreciated.  

Expert

Look up ComcastAnthony in the member listing here in the forum.  Send him a PM and let him know what's going on with your registration.  He is the one who helped me with mine.  Go up to Search at the top of the page and click on the down arrows to bring up "Users" and search for him.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

This link is to old forum with links to IMAP beta conversion sign up pages that still work. (as of today)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/IMAP-and-Comcast-com/m-p/1482057
(copy & paste above link)

actual IMAP beta sign up link here:
(migrates e-mail account to IMAP servers)

https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap

Important note is I found you have to migrate each individual e-mail account under a single comcast user, or billing, account.
New Poster

I check emails from my office, my android phone and my laptop.  I am using pop3 with outlook and notice that Outlook must be up and running for me to get emails on my phone.  I was recently advised that I could shut down outlook on the desktop and still get emails on the phone if I switched my Comcast email from pop3 to IMAP.  I am a little nervous about trying this as the main comcast pages say to set up Outlook for POP3 and I only found info about IMAP by searching here on the forum.  I found the link mentioned here (https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap but it doesn't give much info.  If I complete the request for IMAP do I lose POP3?  Permanently?  Will I need to reconfigure Outlook to get IMAP or will both be active?  I am going out of town and thinking I need to wait to make sure I don't break something and lose my office email for a week!  

I see that comcast tells me I am running XfinityConnect Full version.  I have Vista on the Desktop and Windows 7 on the laptop and I use Touchdown to connect to my Comcast business exchange server with Outlook 10. I just enabled the built in email client on the Android phone and see that it picks up the 'residential' email until it is moved to Outlook (residential in quotes -- I use that email address as my main email address -- I need the exchange server to sync the calendar etc but I don't bother to use the business account address.  Browser - usually Chrome -- sometimes sites insist on IE.

Thanks -- Scott

Official Employee

@Scott_8055 wrote:

If I complete the request for IMAP do I lose POP3?  Permanently?  Will I need to reconfigure Outlook to get IMAP or will both be active? 

No, you do not lose POP3.  Yes, the comcast.net email addresses that you sign up with to use IMAP will be able to use IMAP for the forseeable future.  Once IMAP is enabled, the POP3 setup in your mail client will still work as it does.  In your mail client you likely will not be able to re-configure/convert the POP3 setup to IMAP.  You will have to do a new setup in your mail client to use IMAP.  Again, both will work at the same time in your mail client.

Hope that helps.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

hi there thanks for showing me this my emails are really messed up.

New Poster

Whoa. Comcast supports the Internet Message Access Protocol now? That is some serious buisiness right there. I hope their servers can handle the load.

Frequent Visitor

I have all the same issues as well as living in MA.  I called the tech help phone line and got through.  They said I would be connected to the IMAP beta whatever within 72 hours.  I'm not holding my breath. 

Regular Visitor

Thank you for this forum. This has been driving me crazy of having to delete messages on all devices separately and  not being able to see the folders I created. I went to the page in question got an immediate confirmation but no email. I decided to set up a new account via IMAP and it worked perfectly with the settings in this thread.  I then deleted the old POP3 on the device.

Frequent Visitor

Switched over to the IMAP within 24 hrs.  Comcast email has a whole new look and so far I can't find my address book but at least the folders are there!

The tech phone number 888-517-5296 worked like a charm.  Thanks to whomever posted it.

Regular Visitor

Finally this solved my problem of not being able to connect my incredimail account, that I have used for years, to my comcast email account. Thank you so very much!!! 10,000 Kudo's to you! You solved my delemia!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Great!  I know the feeling of finally having it under control.  It's liberating. 

New Poster

Thanks to everyone! This was the Rosetta Stone. 

I have 3 Comcast email accounts. I recently discovered that my primary email Account Type is IMAP, whereas my other two email accounts have Account Type POP3. I still don't know how the 3 accounts ended up with different Account Types in the first place. I don't recall signing up for the IMAP beta program.

What brought this to my attention is that the hard drive on my Windows 7 laptop (purchased November 2011) crashed (March 2013). When configuring Outlook 2010 on the new hard drive, I noticed that the Data File for my primary email account was in the hidden AppData folder, whereas the Data Files for my 2 other email accounts were in the MyDocuments - Outlook folder that I had set up.

Since restoring to the new hard drive, I also haven't been able to find the Contacts that were associated with my primary email account. I searched all over for a Personal Address Book and then found that the PAB is obsolete in Outlook 2010, and Contacts are now in the.pst file. But I haven't been able to find them in any of the pst files.

At that point, I noticed that my primary Comcast email account was configured for IMAP and the other 2 email accounts were configured for POP3. Not being familiar with IMAP, I learned about that, and decided IMAP is preferable for my situation.

Then I found this thread, which indicated we need to ask Comcast to switch the accounts to their IMAP servers. I just used the link you posted to make those requests for the other 2 accounts.

I should mention that I got an Android phone in 2012. The mobile phone rep configured my phone to pick up email from one of the POP3 accounts. The mobile provider (Verizon) also had me to set up a GMail account with access from the phone. Later I got the Xfinity app and configured it to pick up email from my primary email account (which is the IMAP one). Could that action have caused the primary email account moving to the IMAP server?

(At various times I have been prompted to synch email accounts and contacts, and I have agreed, but I soon regretted that decision because I didn't fully understand the synch process and now I can't remember which accounts are synched. For example, I am reluctant to delete contacts from the phone if I still want them to appear in Outlook. Not a question for you. I will have to figure this out for each synchronization. Maybe just decouple everything and leave it that way!)

Outstanding question: where are the contacts that were associated with the Data File for my primary email account (which is an IMAP account)? They were there before the hard drive crash, so I don't think it is directly the IMAP issue, since my primary email was using IMAP before the crash. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Linda

New Poster

Within an hour of requesting conversion of the 2 remaining POP3 email accounts to IMAP, I got confirmations from Comcast that they had been converted. When I checked my email in Outlook, I noticed that my Contacts were back in my primary email (which was already IMAP) as well as the two converted accounts. I don't know if converting the 2 other accounts to IMAP had anything to do with the return of the Contacts. Hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to its own Thread...Different problem. Click the blue link to go to your post.

Regular Visitor

I switched from a POP3 account to an IMAP account about 3 months ago.  The good news is that it stopped the problem of having thousands of emails repeatedly downloaded to my Mac running Outlook 2011.  The bad news is that now all emails are deleted somehow from my inbox once they get to be about 17 days old.

I have verified that my email preferences on the Comcast site are set to NEVER delete messages from my inbox.  Unfortunately, though, something is causing all my messages older than 17 days to be deleted.

I access my Comcast IMAP account from 4 devices:  A Mac running OSX Mavericks and Outlook 2011, a PC running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, and an iPhone 5S and iPad mini running the latest version of IOS.  I have verified that all 4 devices think they are dealing with an IMAP and not a POP3 account.

Anyone know which device or devices is causing my messages to be deleted?  I've lost lots of vital emails now and don't know how to make it stop.  So far Comcast technical suppor has been unable to help me either.  They really provide limited support for users using IMAP accounts.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info. 

After spending time searching the Microsoft Forums as well as spending time on the phone with a Comcast Rep who gave me the same info I found in the Microsoft Forums, I was understandably frustrated since my mail had simply stopped coming through to Outlook (Windows 8.1) last Wednesday.

Today with the proper port numbers and incoming mail server listing, I was able to make my mail come to Outlook again very easily.  It did not take but a minute to register my mail as IMAP.

Thanks again for sharing.

New Poster

I tried this link but it doesn't recognize me username/password??

Gold Problem Solver

What link are you referring to and where?

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I have switched to IMAP. Now I am having trouble sending email. Some go out and some don't. Especially if I am forwarding an old email from my pst's. Any suggestions?

Expert

Are you getting any kind of error message?  If so what does it say?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

No, no error message at all in fact it took me days to identify there was a problem. It's not outlook either. I switched that back to pop 3 today and still had the issue. So I went into the gui and tryed to forward a couple...they show in the sent folder but not in the alternate email address I had sent them to....? Strangest thing., but it appears there is something wrong in the Comcast server.

Expert

Can you send normally using only the webmail, and by-passing Outlook?

Frequent Visitor

No, I have the same issue through webmail.

Expert

I should have asked------what is a "pst" that you are trying to forward emails from?

Frequent Visitor

Its a Personal Folder created in Outlook to store emails. However we are beyond that now. It doesn't matter if sending from Outlook or from Comcast direct some of the emails go out and some don't. This leads me back to some sort of error on their servers that must have been created when I was transitioned from pop3 to imap.

Do you work for comcast or are you just a good samaritan?

Frequent Visitor

Oh I c... Comcast folks are in red. Got it.

Frequent Visitor

Is that 10 GB limit for *each* of my Comcast email accounts or for *all* of my email accounts combined?

I'm an Outlook user that has a large number of folders locally on my Windows PC. With POP email I can't access those folders from any other device or PC. With IMAP I expect to move all those folders onto the Comcast IMAP sever, so I can access them from 'anywhere'. Assuming I don't hit the 10 GB limit on the server, will this work as I expect?
New Poster

All working for me now across devices, but...

Are my emails in all folders cached on each system, and perhaps my main PC or Mac such that if I leave Comcast, I still have all my email, files, etc. on my main device? Or am I only seeing a "view" to my messages on the Comcast servers and should I leave Comcast, I leave all my email also?

Thanks
Expert

If you are using an email client on your computer/device like Outlook, Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail, your emails will be on that device no matter what you do about an ISP.  That is one of the really great attractions about using a client.  You have control over your emails once they are downloaded to your computer.  So even if you dropped Comcast tomorrow, those archived messages are still going to be there.  An associated benefit to a client-----------------you can back your messages up on an external hard drive if you want to.  You really can't do that easily with webmail like Comcast.

Expert

@prlaba wrote:
Is that 10 GB limit for *each* of my Comcast email accounts or for *all* of my email accounts combined?

I'm an Outlook user that has a large number of folders locally on my Windows PC. With POP email I can't access those folders from any other device or PC. With IMAP I expect to move all those folders onto the Comcast IMAP sever, so I can access them from 'anywhere'. Assuming I don't hit the 10 GB limit on the server, will this work as I expect?

I have looked around and as far as I can gtell, the 10 Gb limit applies to the overall account.  Secondary addresses are part of that Primary account, and as such I am guessing the Primary and any secondaries are sharing that 10 Gb.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

So thi smeans that should you start to get closer to that aggregate 10Gb, and you want to ensure no email gets deleted, you should have a practice in using an email client to offload email you want to ensure you are keeping, like a private folder on disk etc. 

Otherwise whether you leave Comcast someday, or your aggregate store limit is reached, you could lose email messages.

Thanks

Expert

You will find that a lot of the regulars in here will recommend:

A)  Yes, use a real email client like Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail etc.  There are a lot of very good reasons to do so------------------------------------

You have the security of having your emails on your computer instead of only on the mail servers of whatever provider you use. You can set them to leave a copy on the server after downloading. You have much better control over your email.

You can set up virtually an unlimited number of accounts in a client from multiple mail providers.

You can use an assortment of add-ons and extensions for all sorts of extra functionality, including appearance. You can't customize much of anything in Comcast, including their email.

Clients are usually more customizable than the free or paid accounts of an ISP, like Comcast, Verizon or AT&T. Even more so in the case of free accounts like Yahoo, Hotmail or AOL.

Clients allow you to set up auto-forwarding, and some of the mail providers don’t support it unless you have a “Premium” account with them. (Comcast does have this feature though)

You don’t even have to be signed into your Comcast account, to go directly to your email. The client does that for you. In addition, you don't have to look at any ads if you don't want to.

You have consistent features and functionality in every account no matter who the mail provider is.

The keyboard shortcuts are consistent. You don’t have to learn a new set for each mail provider.

A client lets you use the “Mailto:” links so common on websites. You can’t do that with webmail normally. Safari has an available add-on that’s supposed to enable that, but I’ve never tried it.

A lot of mail providers put limits on how many filters or “rules” you can have in effect for directing you mail to a folder, or performing some other action. I use Thunderbird and there is no such limit.

Using a client program solves so many issues I’ve seen brought up in these forums.

B)  I don't recommend using the email associated with any ISP as your primary email action.  Most, like Comcast's, are proprietary, meaning that when you change to another service provider you will lose access to any email you had on their servers.

Just sayin.

Regular Visitor

I've been able to set up my IMAP account on my Nexus and iPhone but not my PC which is running Windows 7 Pro with Outlook 2010 for email.

When I run a test on the setup of the new account, I can receive email using incoming port 993 but can't send. I've tried using outgoing ports 567, 465 (with and without SSL) and the default, 25, but none of them work. Is there someone with the same configuration who can provide me with the proper settings?

Regular Visitor

FYI: I was converted to an IMAP account months ago (maybe closer to a year), and everything was working great. I have all Mac devices, and with the IMAP account, everything synced with Mac Mail perfectly. Suddenly everything stopped working, and I called Apple for help. They checked my Comcast account and said it was showing POP, not IMAP. I contacted Comcast today (9/3/14) and they said they disabled my IMAP account on purpose (without notifying me) because they no longer support IMAP. When I asked why I could no longer keep an IMAP account, they said they simply don't allow it. I then got on "live chat" to complain (since Comcast no longer offers a Feedback link) about this mess, and the agent (Carlo) said that in fact I COULD go back to IMAP. If I can go back to IMAP, why did they disable my settings in the first place? I'm very leary because last time Comcast did not notify they were disabling my settings, and I hate to go through all this mess again (resetting all my devices and syncing with Mac Mail), only to have Comcast once again disable it!

This is why I hate Comcast so much! No one knows what the other person is doing, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they do!

Frequent Visitor

I have actually given up. It's just not worth the time and effort. Gmail works flawlessly and in a month ATT is bringing in fiber. So long Comcast it's been a good 14 years for you. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Is Vonage and Comcast the only voice programs out there? Comcast has royally screwed up my contacts and address books and now my call logs..... i want to drop comcast

New Poster

OK Folks!  I just purchased a HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1 installed in it.  I clicked on the link to change my old pop3 email to the new imap format.  For awhile now, I have not recived any email or confirmation, that my account has been upgraded.  But when I follow that link to registar again, it tells me, GOOD NEWS! The migration has been completed.

So, I go to log in on to my email account the way that it is shown on this bulletin here and it tells me that it cannot find settings for my email address.  Contact my provder. 

I'm not really happy with this windows 8.1 operating system.  I've always used outlook for my emails and now these yahoo's make it difficult to just use the darn computer.  If somebody has experienced this same problem and figured it out, I would sure appreciate very much, if you could point me in the right direction.  Thanks!