Community Forum

Need to recover old username

New Poster

Need to recover old username

Here's the issue.  I have another vendor account where I used my old comcast username/email (on a different account) to sign up.  I was trying to recover my password on that vendor account, however, it sends the recovery email to the email address I signed up with, which is my old comcast username/email.

The problem is that my old comcast username/email and the account it was on discontinued service back in 2015.  I tried adding my old username to my current account as a secondary user, however, the system returns an error saying that username is already in use, since I guess it is still tied to that discontinued account.

Weirdly enough, I tried to sign in to that old comcast account that discontinued service in 2015 earlier this week, and I was able to get to the "user" screen on that account.  Clicking any other link while signed in to that old account just returns me to the xfinity home page.  So anyway, I ended up changing my username on that discontinued account to something else so that I could "free-up" my old username and then add it to my current account.  However, once I went back to my current account and tried to add that old username, it still returned the "username is already in use" error even though I know for a fact it is not since I just changed it to something else on the other account.

I called customer service and was eventually transferred to the Tier II helpdesk.  It sounded like we were getting close to having the issue resolved, but then they needed to transfer me up another Tier.  Once they transferred me to that next Tier of support, no one ever answered after being on hold for over 1 hour.

Can anyone help me out?  Thanks.

Expert

Re: Need to recover old username

When a user ID (that part of the email address to the left of the @ symbol) is changed or deleted, it is suspended for 90 days, and then released back into the pool of available IDs for any Comcast customer that wants to claim it. But you can try calling Comcast security and see if they can reinstate it for you---------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

After that long a time period though, I think the chances are not good.  It is possible that someone else is using it now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I am going to having the exact same issue. Exact however, my user ID has only been inactive 1 months and I have verified with security that no one is using it. They said even if I open a new Xfinity account they would be able to help me recover it but I will never be able to recover any of the emails that were sent to or attached to it prior to creating a new account. My life depends on this! I need help! I was also working with level two support but they were unable to help .
Expert

@freefallsprite wrote:
I am going to having the exact same issue. Exact however, my user ID has only been inactive 1 months and I have verified with security that no one is using it. They said even if I open a new Xfinity account they would be able to help me recover it but I will never be able to recover any of the emails that were sent to or attached to it prior to creating a new account. My life depends on this! I need help! I was also working with level two support but they were unable to help .

Did  you  call the security number I posted upthtread?  But no matter-------the information you were given is correct.  While it's possible to reclaim the user ID, once the account has been closed for that long there will be no way to restore it's content, at least not in the webmail interface.  Did you by chance have the account enabled in a desktop email client like Outlook, Thunderbird or Mac Mail?  If so the emails may still be in the client.  Are you running a back-up utility that might still have them?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

It was only inactive about 2 weeks
Highlighted
Expert

@freefallsprite wrote:
It was only inactive about 2 weeks

Then the only other recourse is to call Comcast security.  They are the only group that has the ability to recover deleted emails when they are gone due to the circumstances you described.

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329